Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2017, 08:38 AM   #6621
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
I'm using 3.3V sparko discretes on my dams and I swore I could tell a difference for the better, however you never know with the endless subjectiveness when it comes to audio, with what those regulators cost you *want* it to sound better. I would recommend the mod, I also have 1400uf near the clock as well as an added 10uf ceramic.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to try it down the road.
Old 14th September 2017, 08:40 AM   #6622
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I think the value of c135 is stated by Sören but I dont recall it beeing so small....
I hope I didn't misread the meter but both caps have similar readings. Maybe Soren can confirm that.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:11 AM   #6623
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post
I hope I didn't misread the meter but both caps have similar readings. Maybe Soren can confirm that.
C135 and C142 are 1500 pf NP0 ceramics, together with the 640 ohms impedance from the R-2R network they set the -3 dB 165 Khz point of the RC filter.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:14 PM   #6624
wyan is offline wyan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikestabber View Post
I'm using 3.3V sparko discretes on my dams and I swore I could tell a difference for the better, however you never know with the endless subjectiveness when it comes to audio, with what those regulators cost you *want* it to sound better. I would recommend the mod, I also have 1400uf near the clock as well as an added 10uf ceramic.
Hi, so you replace (or by pass?) the on-board regulator with the Sparko? What power supply do you use to feed the sparko? Thanks.
Old 16th September 2017, 02:08 PM   #6625
JJansen is offline JJansen  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default 1541

Hi folks, also with the 1541 you can have fun and great progress. However, I would have expected a part of it from the factory, maybe Soeren should take a little more time before bringing its products on the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6882.jpg (996.3 KB, 300 views)
Old 16th September 2017, 02:30 PM   #6626
rredline is offline rredline  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
If I did something, it would more be to add network audio streaming to my DACs, like Ravenna, Dante, AES67 and AVB, that would be a nice building block to have.... It's feasible to add a streaming core to the FPGA I already have on all boards, would require a little larger FPGA and some serious firmware work....
I would suggest if possible you may create a standalone AES67 interface card with I2S output, preferbly with the same form factor as Amanero (though card can be wider) which make them interchangable. It will be the coolest thing since the invention of UAC2 XMOS and Amanero.

Last edited by rredline; 16th September 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 16th September 2017, 02:49 PM   #6627
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJansen View Post
Hi folks, also with the 1541 you can have fun and great progress. However, I would have expected a part of it from the factory, maybe Soeren should take a little more time before bringing its products on the market.
I'm sorry, but you severely degrade the dac1541 by:

Replace switchers with other switchers probably feed from a switcher ?

Bypass the ultra low impedance and ultra low noise discrete regulators, instead the output amplifiers are connected directly to the switchers ?

Add high impedance (relative) capacitors to low impedance discrete regulators ? Directly to the transistor collectors, which might affect stability ?

Disconnect chassis from ground ? Ok, it's probably connected at the bottom of the PCB.... But why then the plastic screws ?

Add extra high impedance (relative) capacitors to the low impedance vref buffer ? Ok, at least that don't hurt....

Remove the output mosfet relays, instead getting clicks and thumps ?
Old 16th September 2017, 02:59 PM   #6628
gapson is offline gapson  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJansen View Post
Hi JJansen,

I agree with you, the 1541 should be a great DAC and it needs even more attention and modification to the board before issuing to the market.

We did some listening (subjectively, btw) by comparing to the 1541 and my friend's DIY on dam1021, and the dam1021 perform better all the way. I wish Soren could provide some tips on improving the dac1541 with some modification by DIYers!

Besides, what have you done to the 1541? I am about to do some modification to the 1541 as well, could you provide some direction for me? Thanks alot!

Last edited by gapson; 16th September 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 16th September 2017, 03:07 PM   #6629
JJansen is offline JJansen  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Soeren, I could now give you a picture of the back of the circuit board and / or measurement results before and after the modification, but I want to make it short. I have here an original 1541 and a changed one, mine and other ears hear what it brings. Relax yourself.
Old 16th September 2017, 03:28 PM   #6630
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapson View Post
I wish Soren could provide some tips on improving the dac1541 with some modification by DIYers!
If there is a weak point on the dac1541, it's probably the filters. I do have plans to increase the number of filter taps and create new filters, that will eventually be implemented on all of my dams and dacs as it will fit inside the existing fpga....

You can load other filters to suit your taste, the dac1xxx series use same filters as the dam1021, that will probably have the largest effect.

Some people for some reason also seems to want old fashioned linear power supplies, there is actually a connector on the PCB you can use for that, the J7, connecting to an external linear supply.... You don't even need to remove the onboard switchers, just don't power them at the same time....

The dac1541 is already VERY well designed, trying things that worked on the dam1021 will most likely have no effect, or even degrade the dac1541, although others might have other beliefs....

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!