Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2017, 11:05 PM   #6611
bmxmen is offline bmxmen
diyAudio Member

bmxmen is online now bmxmen
diyAudio Member

Hi I have over 2years soekris v2 with mods 16x 470uf caps, 4BC 550/560 transistors and added 4 caps near bc transitor.All polymer caps. I have read that better is larger capacivience. It is god idea to change my mam 470uf to 1200uf polymers? Or even more? Thank You.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:04 AM   #6612
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Encouraged by the BC550/560 mod I tried two additional mods to my DAM1021.

First is removal of the output filter capacitors C135 & C142. I read that some found these output cap to degrade the sound. Surprisingly I found it to be the other way around - without the output cap the sound is in fact worst - it lost some clarity but at the same time sounded a bit rough. Luckily I didn't destroyed the caps when removing them so I promptly soldered them back in place.

While the caps were desoldered from the PCB I measured them to be 1.5nF so perhaps the adventurous can cap-roll it.

Second is adding additional capacitor to the 3.3V rail near the clock chip. I have an Audio Note Keiser 16V 4700uF cap on hand so I just used that. This mod appeared to open up the highs further with improved clarity and separation. There might be some low treble emphasis though. I'll let it run-in a bit (the cap is new) and also listen longer term before making a judgement but so far it is promising.

Anyone tried replacing the 3.3V regulator? I was planning to replace it with a newClassD regulator but decided to try adding a cap first. I don't want to use batteries as keeping them charged is too much trouble for me.

P.S. The Soekris DAM1021 is implemented inside a highly-modified Lampizator L7 DAC, powered by newClassD DC regulators at +10V/-10V. The raw outputs feed a 2A3 triode output stage.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:23 AM   #6613
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by androa76 View Post
Sound from original to mooded is small but not huge improvement...
I don+t speak about sound now i just want to set dac to default filter...if this is default than i am done with that dac. I want to use it with RPI.
It is connected to regulated supply not direct...and i use Input board from DIY gruopbuy.
Dimdim can you do some measurement on your dac? 1khz and 10khz -10db sine wave as i did.
Thank you.
While modding my DAC I did some scope checking using both the RAW output and the output after the 2A3 triode output stage.

The followings are some sine wave outputs (1V scale is RAW and 2V scale is tube output):

Note that the waveform after the tube output stage is 'thinner', suggesting some HF noises have been filtered out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw-1khz.JPG (880.7 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg raw-10khz.JPG (799.1 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg tube-1khz.JPG (862.5 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg tube-10khz.JPG (756.6 KB, 485 views)

Last edited by jacklee; 10th September 2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:32 AM   #6614
diyAudio Member

Next ones are square waves and pulse: (RAW follow by tube output)

Note the tube output stage is inverting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw-1khz-SqWave-3.JPG (707.4 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg tube-1khz-SqWave-2.JPG (762.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg raw-200hz-pulse.JPG (860.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg tube-200hz-pulse.JPG (797.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 10th September 2017, 08:29 PM   #6615
bmxmen is offline bmxmen
diyAudio Member

Im thinking about my 16x oscon polymer it is 470uf 7mohm each, what will be beter ?add 16x1200uf 7mohm or change 470uf to 1200uf. My 470uf oscons are Little expensive..
Old 12th September 2017, 06:57 PM   #6616
spikestabber is offline spikestabber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post

First is removal of the output filter capacitors C135 & C142. I read that some found these output cap to degrade the sound. Surprisingly I found it to be the other way around - without the output cap the sound is in fact worst - it lost some clarity but at the same time sounded a bit rough. Luckily I didn't destroyed the caps when removing them so I promptly soldered them back in place.

While the caps were desoldered from the PCB I measured them to be 1.5nF so perhaps the adventurous can cap-roll it.

Second is adding additional capacitor to the 3.3V rail near the clock chip. I have an Audio Note Keiser 16V 4700uF cap on hand so I just used that. This mod appeared to open up the highs further with improved clarity and separation. There might be some low treble emphasis though. I'll let it run-in a bit (the cap is new) and also listen longer term before making a judgement but so far it is promising.

Anyone tried replacing the 3.3V regulator? I was planning to replace it with a newClassD regulator but decided to try adding a cap first. I don't want to use batteries as keeping them charged is too much trouble for me.

P.S. The Soekris DAM1021 is implemented inside a highly-modified Lampizator L7 DAC, powered by newClassD DC regulators at +10V/-10V. The raw outputs feed a 2A3 triode output stage.
I'm using 3.3V sparko discretes on my dams and I swore I could tell a difference for the better, however you never know with the endless subjectiveness when it comes to audio, with what those regulators cost you *want* it to sound better. I would recommend the mod, I also have 1400uf near the clock as well as an added 10uf ceramic.
Old 12th September 2017, 07:27 PM   #6617
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think the value of c135 is stated by Sören but I dont recall it beeing so small....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post

Old 12th September 2017, 07:44 PM   #6618
kuribo is offline kuribo
diyAudio Member

Soren-

No doubt you are busy but when you have a few minutes, could you answer one of the 3 or 4 pm's I have sent you over the past week asking when you will finish work/return on the 4 dam's I sent you 3 months ago? Thanks.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:57 PM   #6619
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

He's back ...
Old 13th September 2017, 02:02 PM   #6620
kuribo is offline kuribo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuribo View Post
Soren-

No doubt you are busy but when you have a few minutes, could you answer one of the 3 or 4 pm's I have sent you over the past week asking when you will finish work/return on the 4 dam's I sent you 3 months ago? Thanks.
Thanks Soren for the reply.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!