Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2016, 03:25 PM   #6111
danny_66 is offline danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I bought them from Konrad (muzgdiy), the mail address I used was muzgdiy at gmail.com
They were priced very reasonable at 10
Old 30th December 2016, 04:55 PM   #6112
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks - i shall try email him from another adress then.
Old 1st January 2017, 09:03 AM   #6113
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Sren > Pardon me for maybe jumping the gun a little but I have a couple of questions regarding the upcoming 1231 for the Raspberry Pi. From what I've gathered thus far it'll run off of 5V DC just like the Pi. How much current will it draw and how "clean" will the PSU have to be for best performance? (Within reason) Will a typical DC-DC converter do the job or should I be planning for a more fancy solution? In the past you've had on-board regulation so I'm assuming this one will have that as well.
Will there be a practical way of powering the Pi through the 1231 using the GPIO? And will there be a max current when doing this? It becomes an issue if you intend to power a hdd with the Pi USB. I'm just trying to get a basic understanding of how I need to structure the power supply.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:32 PM   #6114
soekris is online now soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusA View Post
Sren > Pardon me for maybe jumping the gun a little but I have a couple of questions regarding the upcoming 1231 for the Raspberry Pi. From what I've gathered thus far it'll run off of 5V DC just like the Pi. How much current will it draw and how "clean" will the PSU have to be for best performance? (Within reason) Will a typical DC-DC converter do the job or should I be planning for a more fancy solution? In the past you've had on-board regulation so I'm assuming this one will have that as well.
Will there be a practical way of powering the Pi through the 1231 using the GPIO? And will there be a max current when doing this? It becomes an issue if you intend to power a hdd with the Pi USB. I'm just trying to get a basic understanding of how I need to structure the power supply.
Yes, it will run of 5V, either supplied by the Raspberry Pi, or by a 5V DC Plug, when powering though the dam1231's DC Plug it will have have power management, just simple controlled power down. You can use any 5V Power supply, up to 5A if needed....

Internally there is a 5V to +-7V DC-DC converter, followed by high performance low noise discrete regulators....
Old 4th January 2017, 07:00 AM   #6115
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks, awesome.
Old 4th January 2017, 03:11 PM   #6116
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

DC input for the DAM1021 calls for a bipolar power supply.

In general, for some devices that require bipolar DC input, it is acceptable to use two single-rail power supplies. One is positive and ground as usual; the other gets its positive rail treated as ground, and ground treated as the negative rail.

Is this acceptable to do with the DAM1021?

Looks like the two middle pins of J1 are common to each other (i.e. I believe both are ground potential for the dam1021 board).

If this is OK for the DAM, is there any kind of power supply that wouldn't tolerate this configuration?

Thanks!
Old 4th January 2017, 04:33 PM   #6117
nige2000 is offline nige2000  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
DC input for the DAM1021 calls for a bipolar power supply.

In general, for some devices that require bipolar DC input, it is acceptable to use two single-rail power supplies. One is positive and ground as usual; the other gets its positive rail treated as ground, and ground treated as the negative rail.

Is this acceptable to do with the DAM1021?

Looks like the two middle pins of J1 are common to each other (i.e. I believe both are ground potential for the dam1021 board).

If this is OK for the DAM, is there any kind of power supply that wouldn't tolerate this configuration?

Thanks!
yea two middle pins of j1 is gnd
using two supplies for bipolar is fine as long as there floating
Old 6th January 2017, 06:50 PM   #6118
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

I have another "randomly loses sync" issue. Setup: two dam1021 boards in balanced dual mono config; input is I2S via Raspberry Pi; using Normunds' input+switch board to connect the two boards plus Rpi. DAM boards are powered by DIYINHK LT3042 power supplies at +/- 12V.

Most of the time everything just works as expected. Randomly, though, the dam1021 boards will lose sync. When this happens, it is most likely to occur right when a new song starts. This is how it usually goes over:
  • New song starts, plays normally very briefly, maybe one or two seconds
  • Both DAM boards lose sync (on-board LED starts flashing), brief silence for one or two seconds
  • One board (i.e. one channel) regains sync, starts playing; other board/channel is still silent, again one or two seconds
  • The channels swap, so the previously silent one starts playing, and the other goes silent. Another 1-2 secs.
  • The other channel recovers and both resume playing normally.

I spent several hours listening, and this happened so little (maybe not at all?) that I thought I could live with it. But then I put a new album in the playlist. And it started consistently doing it at the start of every single song.

I thought it might have something to do with the files, but my entire collection is all FLAC-encoded CD rips (i.e. 16/44 redbook audio).

So then I thought it might have something to do with the RPi and/or software running on that. I shut down the system for a few days, came back last night. Turned it on, started playing the same album. No issues. So clearly it's not specific to those particular song files.

Any thoughts on where I might want to look given the description of the problem?
Old 7th January 2017, 09:38 PM   #6119
gavinb is offline gavinb  South Africa
diyAudio Member

matt_garman,

What software are you running on RPi, music player?
Old 8th January 2017, 06:42 AM   #6120
mc002 is offline mc002  Germany
diyAudio Member

I ve had similar problems with my Raspberry Pi. In my case it has been the poor ethernet performance of the Pi (usb-ethernet bridge). Ive changed the computer and Im now using the Odroid C2. This functions fine.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!