Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2014, 07:17 PM   #481
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
Søren, in the context of Potstip's posts, I agree that the SO3 isolator/reclocker is superfluous with the input isolation and reclocking on your DAC board, but, it does have a use in providing external clocking to the Beaglebone so that there is no resampling of incoming data that its single onboard clock would otherwise dictate. With the RPi you're stuck with the resampling anyway.

Now, if the beaglebone could send its clock select flag to your dac and your dac could then switch to the correct clock rate for the data sampling rate and send a suitable clock signal back to the beaglebone.....

Ray
This DAC is fantastic but looks a bit closed with the clocking scheme.
You are spot-on Nautibuoy. If it could take external clock select flag then we can have an end-to-end full synchronous operation!
Also, what are the clock frequencies on the DAC?
Fixed or do they change with Fs?

Last edited by acko; 9th November 2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 9th November 2014, 07:45 PM   #482
spzzzzkt is offline spzzzzkt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Multicomp MCFM50/07 yada MCFM70/07 lazimdir. Farnell bunlar satiyor.

Nuvotem Talema also do a number of suitable encapsulated toroidals.

Something like this...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/2574941/

or

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toroid...rmers/2238516/

Last edited by spzzzzkt; 9th November 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 9th November 2014, 08:22 PM   #483
spzzzzkt is offline spzzzzkt  Australia
diyAudio Member

deleted.

Last edited by spzzzzkt; 9th November 2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: pointless speculation....
Old 9th November 2014, 08:31 PM   #484
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potstip View Post
Dear Soren

Correct me if i am wrong you design board 7-8v but we can also use 7-15v because all famous troidal transformer manufacturer use 6v then 9v.

So is there any disadvantage use 2 x 9VAC @ 0.83A, can i use this;
15VA Power Transformer
There is a upper limit of 16.5V, based on capacitor voltage and also to limit loss in linear regulators.

There is a lower limit of 7.5V, based on loss though diode bridge and 5V linear regulators.

Then taking into account line voltage tolerance and transformer no/low load voltage, and we're at 7-8V AC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
This DAC is fantastic but looks a bit closed with the clocking scheme.
You are spot-on Nautibuoy. If it could take external clock select flag then we can have an end-to-end full synchronous operation!
Also, what are the clock frequencies on the DAC?
Fixed or do they change with Fs?
If I have to say it myself, the clocking scheme is actually very high performance and flexible.... Have mostly been discussed before but the thread is getting long, so here's a recap:

The DAC have a low jitter digital controlled oscillator (SiLabs si570), data is sent though a FIFO (with programmable lenght) and the FPGA and uC work together to measure incoming bitrate and adjust clock as needed, basically a digital PLL with very fast lock and very slow filtering. So the DAC itself only need serial data, word clock and bit clock, no master clock is needed, it will sync to whatever you feed it.

But the DAC can also output a master clock and do have a pin for selecting between 45.1584 and 49.152 Mhz (can be divided).

Same master clock output is also used when connecting multiple DAC's, t.ex. for digital crossovers.
Old 9th November 2014, 09:11 PM   #485
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post

If I have to say it myself, the clocking scheme is actually very high performance and flexible.... Have mostly been discussed before but the thread is getting long, so here's a recap:

The DAC have a low jitter digital controlled oscillator (SiLabs si570), data is sent though a FIFO (with programmable lenght) and the FPGA and uC work together to measure incoming bitrate and adjust clock as needed, basically a digital PLL with very fast lock and very slow filtering. So the DAC itself only need serial data, word clock and bit clock, no master clock is needed, it will sync to whatever you feed it.

But the DAC can also output a master clock and do have a pin for selecting between 45.1584 and 49.152 Mhz (can be divided).

Same master clock output is also used when connecting multiple DAC's, t.ex. for digital crossovers.
Excellent!
Thanks for your all your efforts and patience.
I will put my name down for one. Hope it is not too late. Will PM shortly
Old 9th November 2014, 09:43 PM   #486
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Multicomp MCFM50/07 yada MCFM70/07 lazimdir. Farnell bunlar satiyor.
I suggested the Multicomp a few posts back; perhaps it isn't famous enough.

Ray
Old 9th November 2014, 09:56 PM   #487
diyAudio Member

Just a correction, the digital oscillator used is a Sillicon Labs Si514.
Old 9th November 2014, 10:00 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post

The DAC have a low jitter digital controlled oscillator (SiLabs Si570) data is sent though a FIFO (with programmable lenght) and the FPGA and uC work together to measure incoming bitrate and adjust clock as needed, basically a digital PLL with very fast lock and very slow filtering. So the DAC itself only need serial data, word clock and bit clock, no master clock is needed, it will sync to whatever you feed
Interesting to see that Si514 (edit) being used but just curious:
What are the actual clock frequencies driving your DAC engine i.e. output of the Si514?
Some posts indicate varying levels up to 100Mhz sweep but you have also indicate dual sync. frequencies 45.xx/49.xx
TIA

Last edited by acko; 9th November 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 9th November 2014, 10:12 PM   #489
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

RS-15-15 Mean Well | Mouser

I know, it's 120mV p-p .... but I already ordered mine

I also have in my possession a DLCP SMPS (50mV):

https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=7045

which I will have to test as well...

SMPS spec and SQ don't seem to correlate as one would think...

//
Old 9th November 2014, 10:19 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Interesting to see that Si514 (edit) being used but just curious:
What are the actual clock frequencies driving your DAC engine i.e. output of the Si514?
Some posts indicate varying levels up to 100Mhz sweep but you have also indicate dual sync. frequencies 45.xx/49.xx
TIA
The DAC design itself is not bound to clock frequencies, but in master mode I'm expecting to support 45/49 from the Si514, that will enable up to 3 Msps. But the Si514 version I'm using can go up to 125 Mhz, so I do have the options to go 90/98 if needed, either for 6 Msps or for higher speed digital filters. But I like to keep clock speed down.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!