• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

The person you responded to asked WHEN the boards would be available... A fair question I would have thought in light of the announced delays in resistor production.

I was only trying to help, not look for an argument.

I read the post as asking for a PM when the boards become available when the ordering process had already been set out in the update (and further explained in post #456), specifically that an announcement will be made here.

It's possible to set up notifications on the thread to keep up to date.

Ray

Greetings All
I am new to this forum and to DAC theory I have a question about firmware. I would like to setup two of these modules in NOS mode, does anyone know of an off the shelf or open source code that will allow the playback of 24bit recordings?
Second question are there any power supply bypass pins so you can add your own mods? There would be nothing wrong with the on board supply, as a learning exercise I would like to try some different configurations.
Thanks in advance for any responses. Great project Soekris looking forward to hearing the results.

Perfect player for R-2R DAC

Lets find the perfect I2S Player platform for the R-2R DAC;

* A player without dac.
* A player with I2S output
* A player with play various loseless audio format,
* Cheap solution DIY sprit
* High res. audio support
* Do not need PC.

So after a research here is the results;

1)QA550 QA-550--SD Card WAV Digital Audio Player
Only play 16bit/44.1KHz WAV files so ELIMINATED.

2)Redcore player FPGA master slice turntable player with digital APE FLAC WAV 192K 24bit HIFI-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
max 192K wav files, poor side format support Flac is max 4 compression level(i mostly use 8)

3)Aune X5 X5/X5 A Wav musci player - X-Series - auneaudio | High Performance Audio - Crafted in China
max 16bit 44.1K wav files, poor side format support Flac is max 4 compression level(i mostly use 8)

4)Rune audio/volumio + ARM Boards (RPI,BBB,UDOO,Cubieboard,Cubox....)
None of the combinations here above gives a stable solutions because of beta software/drivers and noisy pcb design/components not suitable for great audiophile experience.

5) FPGA based MP3/WAV Player Ultra-Embedded
Good project but due to low hardware power it has poor capablity

6) VS1063 i didnt find any project using this chip even it has i2s output
VLSI Solution-VS1063 - MP3 / OGG / AAC / WMA / FLAC / G.711 / G.722 Audio Codec Circuit
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11684

Conclusion;
I cant find any proper Hardware player for the DIY dac. :confused:

Conclusion;

Well, there's at least one possibility that I outlined to you in post #464; it would seem to meet all of your criteria so why have you discarded it?

If you want to pay more for an out of the box solution check out the Edel Network Media Renderer.

Oh, and your choice of font colours makes your post really difficult to read.

Ray

Well, there's at least one possibility that I outlined to you in post #464; it would seem to meet all of your criteria so why have you discarded it?

I know that but Currently (until Soren can allow to take external clock) S03 board is useless for R-2R DAC (Confirmed by ACKO). So i thing without S03 we lost the advantage to use BBB.

If you want to pay more for an out of the box solution check out the Edel Network Media Renderer.

I already check but It already has DAC, so not suitable for this application.

Oh, and your choice of font colours makes your post really difficult to read.

Ray

Sry for that, next time i will preview my post before send.

I know that but Currently (until Soren can allow to take external clock) S03 board is useless for R-2R DAC (Confirmed by ACKO). So i thing without S03 we lost the advantage to use BBB.

Sry for that, next time i will preview my post before send.

potstip this is a thread about a DAC not how to build your OWN player system.
As far as that concerns, I'm a long time satisfied user of Rpi and volumio.
And if the Rpi on board i2s is not good enough we can always put a usb to i2s to it.

Also mate, when you get a creative urge to use different colors - please remember that many of us are green/red color blind :)

Lets find the perfect I2S Player platform for the R-2R DAC;

* A player without dac.
* A player with I2S output
* A player with play various loseless audio format,
* Cheap solution DIY sprit
* High res. audio support
* Do not need PC.

So after a research here is the results;

1)QA550 QA-550--SD Card WAV Digital Audio Player
Only play 16bit/44.1KHz WAV files so ELIMINATED.

2)Redcore player FPGA master slice turntable player with digital APE FLAC WAV 192K 24bit HIFI-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
max 192K wav files, poor side format support Flac is max 4 compression level(i mostly use 8)

3)Aune X5 X5/X5 A Wav musci player - X-Series - auneaudio | High Performance Audio - Crafted in China
max 16bit 44.1K wav files, poor side format support Flac is max 4 compression level(i mostly use 8)

4)Rune audio/volumio + ARM Boards (RPI,BBB,UDOO,Cubieboard,Cubox....)
None of the combinations here above gives a stable solutions because of beta software/drivers and noisy pcb design/components not suitable for great audiophile experience.

5) FPGA based MP3/WAV Player Ultra-Embedded
Good project but due to low hardware power it has poor capablity

6) VS1063 i didnt find any project using this chip even it has i2s output
VLSI Solution-VS1063 - MP3 / OGG / AAC / WMA / FLAC / G.711 / G.722 Audio Codec Circuit
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11684

Conclusion;

I disagree, though I'm not sure what you actually asked Acko. You can use the SO3 perfectly well between a Beaglebone and the R2R DAC, you just can't run it in full sync mode. You just use the SO3 to reclock the Beaglebone to ensure you keep native sampling rates, then feed the I2S from the SO3 to the R2R. Admittedly some functions on the SO3 are superfluous because the R2R isolates and reclocks but I don't think they will do any harm.

Not true, there is no DAC on the Edel NMR;

Network Audio Renderer | ABC PCB

http://www.abc-pcb.com/abc_docs/NMR-DS-107E.pdf

although there is another product that is a renderer/DAC combo;

http://www.abc-pcb.com/abc_docs/NMR-DAC-UM-099E.pdf

Anyway, as I've said previously, and has been repeated this evening, this isn't the place for this topic. There are plenty of threads describing solutions for delivering audio over a network to an I2S DAC and many positive reports about good results from some of the solutions you've already dismissed. Some 'back to basics 'research might help you to develop you're understanding.

Ray

Last edited:
Redcore SD Card Player

I've been using this player for nearly a week now - 24 Bit FLAC playback is dodgy but no problems with FLAC converted to WAV. Used as a 192K WAV player, (it has I2S pin output to attach to DAC I2S input), I think it would make a tidy package with the Soekris R2R DAC.

I've been using this player for nearly a week now - 24 Bit FLAC playback is dodgy but no problems with FLAC converted to WAV. Used as a 192K WAV player, (it has I2S pin output to attach to DAC I2S input), I think it would make a tidy package with the Soekris R2R DAC.

Wow, thanks for the great feedback.There are 5 standart and one improved version avaliable. How it is sounds?

Standard Link
Improved Link

Which version did you buy?
Have experienced rpi/BBB or usb/i2s? Can you make comparision?

Thanks....

Wow, thanks for the great feedback.There are 5 standart and one improved version avaliable. How it is sounds?

Standard Link
Improved Link

Which version did you buy?
Have experienced rpi/BBB or usb/i2s? Can you make comparision?

Thanks....

I purchased the standard version - I wanted to try out this type of product before spending more $...

I am using it with S/PDIF coaxial connection to my DAC. While I have been using it for less than a week, comparing it to my usual laptop>USB digital convertor>DAC, I would say it offers improved resolution. I am looking forward to losing the laptop, software, convertor boxes, cables etc.

Perhaps this Redcore player would also work for you as well, if you are interested in trying out soekris DAC. I have an old Assemblage DAC 2.6 which uses the old BB r2r chip and I kind of miss it... so I think the soekris DAC is interesting - the best of old and new :)