• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

What would the advantage be? The max. resolution our ears can "hear" is about 21 bits... so why 32? Because it measures even better?
This is such a wrong approach to life. I understand people are different, but it is hard to digest good enough approach. Why not 32? Striving for higher goals should be preference. If the design gives that option without sacrifices in other areas so why not. It will hurt you if it measures better? Are you trying to manufacture 10,000 items so cost of each resistor will make the cost impact?

This is such a wrong approach to life. I understand people are different, but it is hard to digest good enough approach. Why not 32? Striving for higher goals should be preference. If the design gives that option without sacrifices in other areas so why not. It will hurt you if it measures better? Are you trying to manufacture 10,000 items so cost of each resistor will make the cost impact?
Striving for higher goals ought to have some relevance, otherwise it could be considered a waste of time and effort...

Solen,
I don't know if this has been asked, but are you concerning offering the option of a Femto Clock,
Together with an ultra low noise power supply?
And also option for external clock?

First, my belated appreciation and congratulations to Soren for a unique offering made available and affordable to a wide diy audience.

The way it is currently configured, the dominant jitter contribution is when the clock is divided in the FPGA. Whatever you do would be insignificant compared to the added jitter in the FPGA (which is in the order of 10s psec RMS (100s psec pp)) -based on what I can gather from the datasheets). Even the jitter added by the shift registers are in the psec range.

It's been a while, busy with day job and preparing for production. First, no, I haven't listened to it yet, know I should be there now. But I expect to finish up firmware while boards are being made....

No, not any PCM but DSD at 256x would possibly become the very nearest in a Direct Hi Res PB A to B Comparison to the Mr. Tim De Paravicini's best modded Analogue bla bla bla....

Way off topic noise, please post thing like that elsewhere.

Answer to questions:

What is the correct female jack that fits the push pins for the main DDDAC placed in the I2S and output positions?

They don't seem to fit the "DuPont" pins, nor that kind of female connector, or at least the terminal head connector that I have. Is it the small "molex"?

The plan is to supply boards without leaded connectors mounted, then you can those between wires or your favorite connectors. Holes will be 0.1" pitch, I will supply loose Molex/AMP MTA100 style headers.

But I have a few questions:

a) How can an R2R (even a sign-magnitude style) be monotonic to even 18 bits with just .01% resistors without hand matching/trimming? Would it not take something like 0.0001% or better to get the DNL down low enough?

It can't, but also don't need to. The Sign Magnitude DAC you can view as a sliding window DAC, great no matter the music level.

b) Can you tell us more about the power supply on the board? It looks like you have built a entire SMPS (sans the transformer). Are there connector pins to allow a user to skip all that and provide their own, super-clean and isolated PS?

Actually only the FPGA 1.2V core voltage is SMPS, rest are linear ones, low noise as needed, designed to be feed directly from a single transformer.

c) Other than stock availability and maybe price, is there a reason you chose the Silicon Labs Si514 over the equivalent functioning but lower phase noise Si570/571?

See my next post.

d) Are you still taking early reservations for boards from the first run? Where do we officially register to sign up for one? The sales@soekris.com e-mail? Or some other means

Keep an eye on initial post for updates. I will make a priority list based on post here and PM's.

First batch do seems to be gone, hopefully there are enough in second batch for all who expressed interest here. And I will then keep making boards as long as they sell.

Uh, no it can not do DSD at all. I wish you DSD people would leave this thread alone already!

Actually I do plan to support DSD, all there is needed seems to be a little bit processing and a digital low pass filter. But not in first firmware release.

Solen,
I don't know if this has been asked, but are you concerning offering the option of a Femto Clock,
Together with an ultra low noise power supply?
And also option for external clock?

The "Femto Clock" seems to be a marketing term for a Si570.... I don't do in marketing terms, but have designed my DAC for great total performance, having focused on getting all details right, but not overdoing anything not needed, as some do just for marketing purpose....

The Si570 is not that much more expensive, but the problem is power.... The Si514 is spec'ed at max 23 mA, the Si598 and Si570 at max 120 mA. And as their power is supplied from a linear regulator that could be a problem.... I also believe the Si514 with 0.8 pS RMS jitter is more than good enough, as other points out, there are probably more jitter in the digital logic, even as I have kept the logic path as short as possible.

External clock will not be supported as it will kill my FIFO, I need to be able to control the frequency digitally. I can't use a fixed clock and let a large FIFO take up the slack, as I also want low latency. I also believe the onboard clock with short signal paths is better than any external "perfect" clock with longer signal paths....

Soren could do a Kickstarter program to fund the chip

Hey Kazap....I like your confidence....So will you be providing the $100,000 or more required to fund a Solution on Chip product...???!!!

Soekris has probably spent $20,000 on his time alone to get to this point...
I'd guess another $10,000 worth of lab equipment, prototyping and general office expense on top of that....
At the very competitive ( low!) price points he is aiming to sell the boards at I reckon he needs to sell at least 1,000 DAC boards to make a decent return on his total investment....
If you were a " Dragon" would you invest $100,000 of your cash at this stage into a Solution on a Chip future venture...??

We should all support Soekris and vote with our wallets order one of his DACs when they become available....If he does well he might just reward us all by taking the huge risk with his own ( or borrowed) money and develop a killer DAC SOC ( Solution On Chip) at a $25.00 price point rather than a still very competitive and great value $250.00 ( approx.) ....That's smart DIY audio crowd funding!

Cheers
Derek.

First, my belated appreciation and congratulations to Soren for a unique offering made available and affordable to a wide diy audience.

The way it is currently configured, the dominant jitter contribution is when the clock is divided in the FPGA. Whatever you do would be insignificant compared to the added jitter in the FPGA (which is in the order of 10s psec RMS (100s psec pp)) -based on what I can gather from the datasheets). Even the jitter added by the shift registers are in the psec range.

Jitter measured with an integration bandwidth from 12 kHz to 20 MHz tells about nothing for digital audio devices.
The right test should be integrating from 10 Hz to 1 kHz, or better from 1 Hz to 1 kHz.
With such this measurement, you'll discover a jitter of several ps, maybe several tens of ps. Not a big surprise if the FPGA jitter contribution will result lower than the intrinsic jitter of the Silicon Labs XO.

Jitter measured with an integration bandwidth from 12 kHz to 20 MHz tells about nothing for digital audio devices.
The right test should be integrating from 10 Hz to 1 kHz, or better from 1 Hz to 1 kHz.
With such this measurement, you'll discover a jitter of several ps, maybe several tens of ps. Not a big surprise if the FPGA jitter contribution will result lower than the intrinsic jitter of the Silicon Labs XO.

I'll love to see a phase noise plot for the clock managers in an FPGA to compare...