Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2015, 06:04 PM   #1901
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DSD Support

Soren, a question about future DSD support.

Have you designated which J3 header pins will be assigned for incoming DSD data?

I'm working on an interface board that should enable me to use a beaglebone black, running miero's botic software, to feed I2S PCM and DSD data to the Soekris DAC; that means to future proof for DSD capability I need to include switching between I2S PCM and DSD as they emerge on separate beaglebone header pins.

I've assumed (based on other similar implementations);

J3-18 (I2S BCKL IN) = DSD BCKL
J3-20 (I2S LRCK IN) = DSD DATA 1
J3-22 (I2S DAT IN) = DSD DATA 2

Are you able to confirm?

Thanks

Ray
Old 25th February 2015, 08:06 PM   #1902
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
Soren, a question about future DSD support.

Have you designated which J3 header pins will be assigned for incoming DSD data?

I'm working on an interface board that should enable me to use a beaglebone black, running miero's botic software, to feed I2S PCM and DSD data to the Soekris DAC; that means to future proof for DSD capability I need to include switching between I2S PCM and DSD as they emerge on separate beaglebone header pins.

I've assumed (based on other similar implementations);

J3-18 (I2S BCKL IN) = DSD BCKL
J3-20 (I2S LRCK IN) = DSD DATA 1
J3-22 (I2S DAT IN) = DSD DATA 2

Are you able to confirm?

Thanks

Ray
My plan is to do DoP, then no special hardware connections is needed as the DSD data is encapsulated in a PCM stream, being sent over USB or SPDIF.....
Old 25th February 2015, 08:14 PM   #1903
xxxbugxxxx is offline xxxbugxxxx
diyAudio Member

Hi Soekris, how do you think of my Pure DSD decoding concept for DAM? Have been asking your several times with no response... Than kyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th February 2015, 08:26 PM   #1904
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxbugxxxx View Post
Hi Soekris, how do you think of my Pure DSD decoding concept for DAM? Have been asking your several times with no response... Than kyou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not gonna work, you still need filtering at 50-70 Khz and you also need to support DSD128.... My plans are the simple way, probably like everybody else, convert to PCM at 352 Khz, then filter, volume control and output....
Old 26th February 2015, 06:49 AM   #1905
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
Not gonna work, you still need filtering at 50-70 Khz and you also need to support DSD128.... My plans are the simple way, probably like everybody else, convert to PCM at 352 Khz, then filter, volume control and output....
So the DAC doesn't support native DSD. Not a problem if it is known about and, as you say, what a lot of others do.

Quote:
My plan is to do DoP, then no special hardware connections is needed as the DSD data is encapsulated in a PCM stream, being sent over USB or SPDIF.....
My understanding is a bit limited in this area, so seeking to understand better. I believe most of the USB input devices (and network renderers like the Edel) likely to be used with the DAC (Amanero, Wave, etc.) present PCM output as I2S and, if supported, route DSD output over the same shared header pins? Assuming these devices can accept a DoP format data stream on their input, by implication they must process the data so the DAC won't see DoP via this route?

Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 07:30 AM   #1906
RudeWolf is offline RudeWolf  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any news on whether we can expect a fix for plops and cut-outs on Fs change?
Old 26th February 2015, 11:27 PM   #1907
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Question for Soren and others that know power supplies better than I...

I'm working on an initial implementation of my Soekris DAC in a setup where in addition to the +- supplies I need for an off-board output stage, I have 2 completely separate supplies currently configured as +11.5v each. When I say completely separate, they have separate transformers and only get a ground reference when they are connected to the powered circuit.

I could of course reconfigure one of these to a negative supply, rewiring the transformer outputs to the other side of the diodes and connecting them to the - terminal on the filter cap.

And I also believe I could just connect the wire from the - terminal on the filter cap of that supply to the - supply input and the wire from the + terminal on the filter cap to the + supply input on the Soekris DAC. And VOILA!, it is now a negative supply!

If I do this, then I don't need to rewire the supply and can more quickly, easily, and with less opportunity for making expensive mistakes change back and forth between the current DAC card in that setup (which uses two positive supplies) and the Soekris DAC (which needs both a positive and negative supply).

And of course, once I get the Soekris DAC settled (trying various powering and output stage options, plus updating the firmware and filters), I will rewire that supply into a negative one.

And I should add that I will have high-quality (modified Dexa) + & - 9v regulators at the + & - inputs to the Soekris DAC, so I won't be feeding it un-regulated 11.5v.

First, would that work ok?

Second, what are the drawbacks to doing this?

THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 26th February 2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 26th February 2015, 11:36 PM   #1908
kuribo is offline kuribo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeWolf View Post
Any news on whether we can expect a fix for plops and cut-outs on Fs change?
I'd settle for a manual at this point....
Old 27th February 2015, 01:30 PM   #1909
normundss is offline normundss  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Soren,

I have been testing input switching with INP_SLCT0 and INP_SLCT1 lines and have noticed some problems.

I used the connection information you posted in #901:

Input Select is:__INP SLCT0___INP SLCT1

Auto_____________N-C_______N-C
I2S______________GND______GND
SPDIF1 (Coax)_____N-C_______GND_____(Sensitive LVDS receiver)
SPDIF2 (Toslink)___GND_______N-C______(Standard 3.3V digital level)

If you don't connect anything to the input select pins it will search the three inputs for a valid signal and lock when found.

I have tested the actual voltages on J3 pins and they are 0V for GND connection and pulled up to 3.3V for N-C.

In Auto mode (both lines not connected) it works as expected, locking onto the first input that has signal. Turning on signal on other inputs after that does not change the input selection.

In I2S setting (both lines to GND) the DAC works as expected. It locks onto I2S signal if present, and does not lock on anything if I2S is missing, but SPDIF signals are present.

In SPDIF1 (Coax) setting (SLCT0 N-C, SLCT1 GND): If the dac was previously locked to I2S input, it will stay locked to I2S even if SPDIF signal is present. If the DAC had not locked on I2S before switching to this selection, it will lock on either of SPDIF inputs - not just COAX, but also TOSLINK if signal is present there.

In SPDIF2 (Toslink) setting (SLCT0 GND, SLCT1 N-C): If the dac was previously locked to I2S input, it will stay locked to I2S even if SPDIF signal is present. If the DAC had not locked on I2S before switching to this selection, it will NOT lock neither on TOSLINK nor COAX inputs.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Could these be firmware issues?

There is also a problem with PWRLED output (or I have not connected it correctly). I connected it to a LED through resistor to GND. Is that the correct connection of PWRLED pin?
With this connection PWRLED works in reverse to the onboard LED. When the onboard LED is on, PWRLED is off. When the onboard LED is blinking, PWRLED line blinks in reverse.

There is another small thing - if the volume pot is not connected during dac power-on, the volume will be set to 0dB. However, if the volume pot is disconnected while the dac is powered on, the volume goes to maximum +6 dB. It would be nicer if it went to 0dB level, although this is of course a lowest priority isssue.

Last edited by normundss; 27th February 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 27th February 2015, 04:00 PM   #1910
reodds is offline reodds  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuribo View Post
I'd settle for a manual at this point....
Kuribo, Søren has not been feeling well and has stated that he will be working on the manual this coming weekend. Patience...

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!