Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2015, 12:52 PM   #1691
hop.sing is offline hop.sing  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehan View Post
hop.sing,

Looks like you aren't using crossover wiring. Swap black and blue cables at one of the ends so that it's connected TX/RX and RX/TX.
Yes, but that is already happening in my serial cable, it is wired pin2 - pin 3.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:57 PM   #1692
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop.sing View Post
Hi Soeren

Here are three pictures of my connections. txd and rxd are crossed in the cable already, I did not assume that first (I am a total noob with serial connections, never before used one) So I crossed them at the Dam connection but then I did not get a response at all, so I measured the cable and voila, pin 2 and 3 are crossed already and I rectified my cabling accordingly.
I fear I could have damaged something on the board while I have misconnected the cables.
Now I have a response, but it takes the board at least a minute after power cycle to connect to the terminal program and then I still see no uManager, just that curly bracket after the +.
I am obviously stuck, maybe I should try a different usb serial adapter.
Other than that, I really like that DA as is already, definite stepup from what I used to have. But missing the new filter options would be a pity.
Tobias
The dam1021 serial port is wired like a PC's serial port and should be connected to a male dsub9 connector. You would normally need a female to female crossover cable to connect to a PC, or USB adapter emulating a PC serial port. The wiring on your pictures look correct.

Normally, if your USB adapter have a female dsub9 you can plug it directly into a male dsub9, if it have a male dsub9 you need a female to female crossover cable.

It's also important that any terminal program is just in simple terminal mode, no modem mode where it t.ex. might be waiting for dialup.... Again, if using a PC I recommend HyperTerminal.

RS-232 signals are short circuit protected, so I wouldn't expect anything to be damaged.
Old 13th February 2015, 01:08 PM   #1693
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the kind help, I am going to investigate further, there will be a solution somewhere...
Old 13th February 2015, 01:09 PM   #1694
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Off topic :

is there please, a good site to understand the basic of the oversampling vs upsampling, alliasing, etc, stratégies : (Difference with IIR/FIR when speaking of digital filter for a D/A conversion, difference with embeded programated chip, capacity of a fgpa vs a computer doing it on the fly with a soft, etc).

I'm lost reading some saying than doing an upsampling of 16/44.1 can give outstanding result played NOS with the hardware or for some others : upsampled at 354/388 with a pc and a good prioratory soft (Signalyst HQR ?) and played oversampled x2 to x4 max ! Is it just because the best phase noise with low oversampling and in this case the Dam1021 is proof with those defaults because its particular generated FGPA clock ?

Sorry again for the off topic on this busy thread... but a little help to read more elswhere woud be much appreciated . What are the limitation of the programmation in the FGPA one have to follow in relation to the deep hardware programmation chooses made by Soren (what is writed in stone and can not be changed by the user in this FGPA ?!)

Thank you in advance if anyone has that on hands, (verry interresting thread but difficulty to follow it because the complexity of "digital" conversations ! Take me a lot of time to try to avoid understanding errors !)

regards, Eldam

Last edited by Eldam; 13th February 2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 13th February 2015, 01:15 PM   #1695
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the kind help, I am going to investigate further, there will be a solution somewhere...
On my PC I am using PuTTY and ExtraPuTTY (for its XMODEM-1K capability).

I see that for the Mac you can get this version of PuTTY: Spackle | SourceForge.net

Perhaps you should give it a try.
Old 13th February 2015, 01:21 PM   #1696
didiet78 is online now didiet78  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Check tx pin voltage of usb to serial converter. For real rs232 it should be >6V
Old 13th February 2015, 01:51 PM   #1697
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiet78 View Post
Check tx pin voltage of usb to serial converter. For real rs232 it should be >6V
OK, I have only 3.8 Volts on that pin...Might be the problem.
Old 13th February 2015, 02:17 PM   #1698
zfe is offline zfe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, I have only 3.8 Volts on that pin...Might be the problem.
You might try with an other program e.g. termina/screen (see: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...ml#post4215966).

If it fits from the gender, plug the RS232 adapter directely in your DAC plug (then you have do change the wireing again to get the cross over).
Old 13th February 2015, 02:50 PM   #1699
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfe View Post
You might try with an other program e.g. termina/screen (see: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendo...ml#post4215966).

If it fits from the gender, plug the RS232 adapter directely in your DAC plug (then you have do change the wireing again to get the cross over).
I have a short cable, I do not think that is the problem and gender does not fit either, its male to male.
I tried terminal screen, it works untill I want to connect, nothing again.
Should Il try a proven usb to serial adaptor, or are all adaptors with the PL2303TA chip the same and mine should work anyway?
I just had a look at its data sheet and its 3.3 Volts out (I measured again and I had 3.3v not 3.8v I misread it, sorry), so that is all I will have on the pin.
Old 13th February 2015, 03:21 PM   #1700
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Yeap it's a good question : I tried to have a certified list of prooved USB to serie adaptor in the other thread in first pages for many reasons : some devices are fake, some others don't work with x64 PC or need specific drivers for W.7 & 8...

Mabe a list of needs to choose the device could be helpfull : Bauds speed capacity, etc (Soren said it iirc)? I linked also a brand Trend (not the antivirus )because it seems to be everywhere on Amazon all around the world and cheap ! (10 to 15 euros)
Easy as well like DimDim made to testimonie about its own device when it works ?

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!