Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2015, 04:59 PM   #1401
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
I'm sure you have seen this already, but just in case....

Sinc function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sinc function looks like an excellent approach to reducing ringing. I'm sorry, but I'm no help in implementing it into a filter.

Also see Wikipedia "Reconstruction Filter" and the Common Filters section which talks about windowed sinc filters and higher order versions without ringing. Please note that this is typical Wikipedia and suited to someone like me that is new to the topic.
Is there any enough information on the TotalDac website about how they manage the filter ? NOS with some correction made in the highers frequencies with FIR to stay flat till 20 Khz iirc ! more than 60 bits here, does the 28 bits enough to do that on the dam1021?

Is there any concern about the output phase also ?
Old 7th February 2015, 05:11 PM   #1402
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooka View Post
Can I ask you which voltage s you used from your power supply, please?
2 x 10V
Old 7th February 2015, 05:18 PM   #1403
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

passive (serie resistor, Pi) or active (reg) ?
Old 7th February 2015, 05:27 PM   #1404
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi emyeuoi, if you make an input and options PCB, maybe you could add my own version of the Amanero interface PCB which includes power supplies, insulator and U-FL connectors as well. See picture. I'm using Eagle PCB full release, but with such a small PCB you can certainly use the free version of Eagle. I can send you my design file and you can add it to the rest of you board. Just an idea. Let me know if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amanero_AYA-II_ver0.1.JPG (142.5 KB, 717 views)
Old 7th February 2015, 05:30 PM   #1405
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just had a look of the TotalDac. It seems to me that some of the major differences (ok I'm just looking at the pictures here) are a second pcb with major PCB upgrade and possibly more sophisticated output section. And naturally massive use of nude vishay resistors for the R-2R resistors (very expensive design choice). Anyone had ever see the TotalDac under PCB? 6Moons has a few good pictures of it: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/totaldac/3.html

Last edited by Algar_emi; 7th February 2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 7th February 2015, 08:11 PM   #1406
lehmanhill is offline lehmanhill  United States
diyAudio Member

I also ran across this book, free to download. Seems to get into a lot of the filtering questions that were being asked.

The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing's Table of Content
Old 7th February 2015, 09:05 PM   #1407
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyeuoi View Post
The GB will be a good idea but I would like to complete the design first and share here the layout for any suggestion, mistakes, etc...
Hi Enrico, it seems like it might be a popular move to run a group buy for your input board.

My eventual use of the Soekris DAC will be via I2S only so I've no need of the facilities offered by your board myself.

Cheers

Ray
Old 7th February 2015, 10:54 PM   #1408
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I see this as a convenience feature, not an SQ one.

Nothing wrong with that.

//
Old 7th February 2015, 11:45 PM   #1409
leehan is offline leehan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It’s running at last! Listening to it with headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-880) through buffered outputs single ended and sounds pretty good to me. Inputs are Amanero and toslink. Weak bass improved and harsh treble mellowed in few hours since initial start.

But I have a problem getting serial communication work. I’m on Mac, tried ZTerm and CoolTerm but I think I’m not using them properly. Can somebody please help?

* Using Aten UC-232A USB to serial converter. Installed driver (a challenge on its own) and both ZTerm and CoolTerm can detect it.

* Wiring should be correct, triple checked. DB-9 connector pins were numbered, so wrong connection is very unlikely.

* I got 6.2V between ground (pin 5) and TX (pin 3) and 0V between ground and RX (pin 2) on the DB-9 connector. If this is correct, it should wake serial port up on the DAC.

With CoolTerm, I can connect to the DAC. But I don’t receive any reply after I send “+++” command. The LED on the USB to serial converter flashes when command is sent.

With ZTerm, I can’t see a “connect” button at all. But connection timer starts running as soon as it launches with USB being the default device. I tried “dialing” but it didn’t help.

What am I missing?
Old 8th February 2015, 12:07 AM   #1410
leehan is offline leehan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehan View Post
Iím on Mac, tried ZTerm and CoolTerm
Also tried Serial (https://www.decisivetactics.com/products/serial/), still no response from dac. This is the most user friendly application of them.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!