• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Didn't catch this. Sorry if it has been explained before.
I connect to the dam1021 with serial cable. writes +++ and enters umanager.
Isn't that the procedure?
"set volume = xx" etc?

You don't need to enter umanager to set volume. i.e. no need to enter "+++"
When you first connect to the DAC you should have some info on sample rate and volume setting already.

Packaging

Can someone please confirm if this is how they received they’re dam1021?

DAM1021_packaging_zps5omq6z4k.png

tia

Can someone please confirm if this is how they received they’re dam1021?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

tia

If you're asking if the parts are supposed to come unassembled then, yes. Soren gave us the option on what parts we wanted to use (e.g. some of us aren't using the xlr outputs from the board)

Thank you for replying ristar. Yes I understand and appreciate this. But I was not clear, what I meant was the plastic zip bag and the fact all the parts rattling around on the board.

Both my boards were in a bubblewrap packet and the parts were in a ziplock bag. All packed into a roomy box. Not sure if they changed the packaging since early days, though.

Does that mean we don’t have to be concerned with ESD while working on this board?

I’d received two cards bobble wrapped and in individual plastic bags with all the connectors rattling inside each bag with the DAC. The shipping box rattled like a baby toys and was sure it was broken before opening it. If they insist packing it like this I’d be surprised if not some poor sod in the end have to waste hours fighting strange faults that easily could be avoided.

About the only good thing about living in the tropics is that our RH is above 80% and ESD is not something that I've ever had to take extreme care about.

What I can share though is the board is of very high quality (one of my boards has undergone a fair bit of treatment from the hot gun and soldering gun... removing and adding regulators and caps) and there is no peeling etc - looks new. That's all I can share, really.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with your boards.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying ristar. Yes I understand and appreciate this. But I was not clear, what I meant was the plastic zip bag and the fact all the parts rattling around on the board.

I had a good impression from the packing. I rceived mine in a card box with that much bubble warp that nothing "ratteled". I am quite sure to remember the loose parts were in a seperate plastic bag, I am not sure anymore if it was ESD save packed or not ... it is quite a while that I received mine.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
debianx,

Well done! I am doing basically the same as you. Wish I had some of those treasured TANGO transformers ...

I have considered using transformers mainly to offer an easy way to change polarity of the signal.

For my education, the transformers are used for impedence matching? Step Up/Down? I/V?

I can understand the rarity of a no longer made transformers, but in what way were these configured?

Thanks, in advance.

For my education, the transformers are used for impedence matching? Step Up/Down? I/V?

I can understand the rarity of a no longer made transformers, but in what way were these configured?

Thanks, in advance.

In a way, yes, but as I see it there is benefit from isolation to start with and then the step up/down to match the final line level going into the Amps. Impedance matching more for power transfer considerations but we are mainly looking at signal voltages here. And the benefit of balanced output option with transformers. My two cents ...

Last edited:
Interesting, assuming to remove op-amps from cheap Chinese brand DAC to use the raw outputs would bring it to the same quality level.
It's a shame that this DAC failed on analog section as usually happens to digital guys.

Hello LC, the output diagram is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...-magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-51.html#post4218120

Any wisdom you can share (mod).

I think it is pretty drastic removing the opamps. They work fine driving high impedance headphones. I am thinking of improving the local bypass of the opamps with some 100uF oscons...

Last edited:
Does that mean we don’t have to be concerned with ESD while working on this board?

I’d received two cards bobble wrapped and in individual plastic bags with all the connectors rattling inside each bag with the DAC. The shipping box rattled like a baby toys and was sure it was broken before opening it. If they insist packing it like this I’d be surprised if not some poor sod in the end have to waste hours fighting strange faults that easily could be avoided.

That's not how we ship them, they all ship in ESD safe bubblewrap with connectors in separate bags and safely packed.... But Norway is not EU, sure they have not been opened by customs ?