• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I was using the raw outputs since I got the DAC and am extremely happy with the sound. The other day I wanted to see what the buffered outputs sounded like, I lasted no more than 5 minutes. It was just harsh, too sharp and sounded no better IMO than my cheap Chinese brand DAC.

I decided to remove the op-amps from the board since I knew at that point I will never be using them ever again. Before I did that I used my Seek Thermal camera and noticed they got pretty warm even after I cut the signal traces for them, meaning they do draw a good amount of power for doing absolutely nothing. Its best to just remove them if you have zero intentions on using them. The 5V regulators near the RS232 serial chip don't even get warm anymore either after doing so.

Attachments

• CKFkQH2h.jpg
    CKFkQH2h.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Fred.

The DAC is not an off-the-shelve product. Or end-2-end solution. It's a board. And it is still work-in-progress.
Several factors will (partly heavily) impact the sound.
Not any implementation will be the same.
How do you want to compare all that?

Cheers

So you think that pricing on the sales website quoting prices for 100 boards
reflects work-in-progress?

This is a forum for feedback, and I have been feeding back on matters other than yours.

Søren, do you expect much hassle and support work when releasing new firmware? I ask as it seems like many of the complaints coming up here is already worked out at your end. It might benefit the DAMs reputation if releases where more frequently?

Yes, I understand from your usual business one don’t release beta’s unless special called for. But as it seems on this and a couple other forums some member of the diy community voice a shorter interest span than the usual commercial customers. Not to mention several misunderstandings floating the net regarding faults this DAC might have.

I was using the raw outputs since I got the DAC and am extremely happy with the sound. The other day I wanted to see what the buffered outputs sounded like, I lasted no more than 5 minutes. It was just harsh, too sharp and sounded no better IMO than my cheap Chinese brand DAC.

I decided to remove the op-amps from the board since I knew at that point I will never be using them ever again. Before I did that I used my Seek Thermal camera and noticed they got pretty warm even after I cut the signal traces for them, meaning they do draw a good amount of power for doing absolutely nothing. Its best to just remove them if you have zero intentions on using them. The 5V regulators near the RS232 serial chip don't even get warm anymore either after doing so.

ok thanks
there coming off then so

So you think that pricing on the sales website quoting prices for 100 boards
reflects work-in-progress?

This is a forum for feedback, and I have been feeding back on matters other than yours.

If you ever bought networking boards from Soekris engineering before, you will know they serve OEM's and integrated builders as they do the end user, so the quantity pricing is standard operating procedure across the entire site's line of products....

I don't think the DebianX implementation is well done at all.

The battery banks are just put into the case!?!? The choice of batteries is IMO not good at all. The transformers are externally wired. The audio signal has to pass two cinch jacks/connectors. The internal RCA cable runs all the way through the case.

I'd say that's all but optimal.

I today read in another forum that somebody killed his Hypex amp input stage with the turn-off thumb. IMO every todays Dam implementation needs a protection circuit, otherwise you run that board at a very high risk.

Cheers

Søren, do you expect much hassle and support work when releasing new firmware? I ask as it seems like many of the complaints coming up here is already worked out at your end. It might benefit the DAMs reputation if releases where more frequently?

Yes, I understand from your usual business one don’t release beta’s unless special called for. But as it seems on this and a couple other forums some member of the diy community voice a shorter interest span than the usual commercial customers. Not to mention several misunderstandings floating the net regarding faults this DAC might have.

I prefer to release the next firmware with fixes for all current issues, otherwise there will be too many "I have release x.x how do I....".

And it seems like people here are not as comfortable with serial upgrades as the users of our small computer boards, so lets shoot for just one upgrade.

I prefer to release the next firmware with fixes for all current issues, otherwise there will be too many "I have release x.x how do I....".

And it seems like people here are not as comfortable with serial upgrades as the users of our small computer boards, so lets shoot for just one upgrade.

I just updated the "user manual" with a guide to update the firmware. https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/soekris-dam-1021-r-2r-dac-users-guide/

Should be easy now. Using a PC serial port, the interface is rock solid. I am using "Tera Term" which has xmodem transfer.

Only software option is to disable the potmeter, using the uManager "set volume = xx", where xx set the default volume in db (-90 - +15) and disable the potmeter, "set volume = -99" enable the potmeter again. You can use the "set" command without parameters to see current settings.

Messing around with volume settings via the umanager.
Is it necessary to powercycle the dam1021 everytime a new setting is placed?

Interesting, assuming to remove op-amps from cheap Chinese brand DAC to use the raw outputs would bring it to the same quality level.
It's a shame that this DAC failed on analog section as usually happens to digital guys.