Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Pulsar Clock - Ultra Low Noise OCXO
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2014, 08:58 PM   #21
clsidxxl is offline clsidxxl  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Pulsar,thank you for your encouragement.I received your power board today,nice,I install it this weekend,I tell you what I think.I agree that the most important line is after the XO board,but that which is done before are also heard,for proof, a Amanero will have a different result than a Raspi or Cubie.
Old 9th October 2014, 10:34 PM   #22
Pulsar Clock is offline Pulsar Clock  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Is there a way to mod the BII to integrate the Pulsar clock and reg?
Dominic,
like for the AckoDAC S03 case that I mentioned in post #16 the problem is to install a DIL14 on a SMD landing pattern. Unfortunately I couldn't find neither a B II board nor images of the B II PCB without the Clock in order to verify a possible solution.
If the B II have the same 3 pin clock interface hidden under the clock of the B III board the solution could be immediate. To check this you have to verify the presence of 3 through holes on the rear side of the B II board right behind the clock, if you find them, please, send me a picture for information. Thank you Dominic.
Old 9th October 2014, 11:19 PM   #23
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Pulsar,

The BII does not have the 3 through-hole pads under the clock that is on the BIII boards. So it will take some ingenuity to adapt your DIL14 device to this legacy (but still great!) DAC with an SMD-mounted clock.

The BII DOES have a place where a Twisted Pear Trident regulator can be added AND this CAN be used as a mount-point for your reg on that board... just need to check pinouts, I think they are the same, but DON'T trust my memory!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 12th October 2014, 07:58 AM   #24
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member

I am Stig Bjorge of the Lyra phono cartridge company. However, I am enjoying high-bit, high-oversampling digital file playback, and I have been a member of the SDTrans group for several years, and I am also a personal friend of Shin Nakagawa who makes the Fidelix Caprice ES9018S based DAC-Preamp. I have been instrumental in negotiating agreements in use of technology solutions like f.ex. I2S over HDMI (originally developed by PS Audio in the USA).

Through my company, I purchased a few sets Pulsar clocks so we could test a 45/49MHz pair as well as a 90/98MHz pair. My Fidelix Caprice already had the Chiaki-developed "sync option" with NDK 90/98MHz non-oven clocks. Especially since I have two identical Fidelix Caprice available, I thought it would be a great opportunity for a direct comparison.

Bunpei helped me install a suitable clock receptacle into one of the caprice, and 3.3V power is supplied by an external Kenwood instrumentation power supply. This made it possible to switch between 45MHz and 90MHz clocks for comparison. (At this point we have not made circuitry for "on the fly switching" between 44.1kHz and 48kHz ladders, so we stay with the 44.1KHz ladder for the time being.)

We then performed listening comparisons between the original (Chiaki modified) synchronised 90MHz Fidelix Caprice, and the identical Fidelix Caprice with Pulsar Clock (initially 90MHz) installed.

Sources were 44.1kHz files ripped from CD.

It immediately became clear that this was a "day and night" comparison since the differences were NOT subtle, but "straight in your face". The DAC containing the Pulsar Clock was easily "the winner"

At a later stage in the testing we compared 90MHz vs 45MHz Pulsar Clock in the modified Fidelix Caprice, and it became apparent that a slightly bright and edgy character of the 90MHz clock became smoother and musically friendlier with the 45MHz Pulsar Clock which we in the end chose to keep for all further listening.

After the testing was over, I proceeded to play higher sampling and bitrate files downloaded from HDTracks etc.

I actually own the EMM LABS DAC2X and matching TSDX disc transport, and in recent months it has become clear that this costly equipment really is a musical reference that I prefer in most cases when listening to digital. The only downside is that input connections are very limited (SPDIF up to 192kHz etc) so I am not able to play I2S direct from the SDTrans to my frustration.

Recently (after I acquired the DAC2X) I have been a bit frustrated with the lacking sound quality from the SDTrans that I use with two different DAC solutions. A couple of the engineers I work with (I am not one myself) is working on an advanced project to create a high level I/V converter and power supply fitting for the SDTrans and companion Chiaki DAC. So the idea has for a long time been to keep on improving the SDTrans based system to exceed the sound of any other digital system that it is compared to.

However, today playing through the relatively simple and compact Fidelix Caprice with 45MHz Pulsar Clock, I finally achieved a sound that I have been looking for. I am not necessarily saying that it is absolutely better then the EMM LABS DAC2X, because I cannot switch using the same source, but the overall listening results are on par with what I expect and accept in my listening room.

It should be noted that my absolute reference remains analog sources since we are a developer and manufacturer of analog products. And maybe it is the most difficult task for digital equipment to stand up to a true analog reference (we are talking cartridges and tonearms that EACH retails for more than US$10000 and the turntable itself and also the phono amps for several times MORE than that amount.)

So I personally think that the Pulsar Clock persevered in this test; so that I can fully recommend it.

Last edited by elecon; 12th October 2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Clarity :)
Old 12th October 2014, 08:37 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Very nice report,can you say why you prefer the 45/49MHz Pulsar instead 90/98MHz please.
Old 13th October 2014, 06:09 AM   #26
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsidxxl View Post
Very nice report,can you say why you prefer the 45/49MHz Pulsar instead 90/98MHz please.
Like I have stated in my "review", it is for sonic reasons. The sound became calmer and relaxed with more "meat" on instruments and voices, and at the same time more "precision" and "clarity", so we plain simple preferred it. Besides; technically our DAC does not need the higher clock rate, so the 45/49 is "sufficient".

We have done several other comparison with normal "non-oven" crystal oscillators of various grades also testing 45/49 and 90/98. However, it seems to be a general tendency that the lower oscillator frequency "you can get away with" still achieving your technical goal, the better the sound will be. 45/49 seems to be a good compromise for what WE are trying to achieve :-)
Old 15th October 2014, 11:11 AM   #27
nopants is offline nopants  United States
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to see a typical phase noise plot down to 1 Hz (or lower)? Your specs are very good, but I'm somewhat skeptical. If they are the real deal then I don't see a problem with the pricing.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:34 PM   #28
Pulsar Clock is offline Pulsar Clock  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Pulsar Clock Plots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopants View Post
Is it possible to see a typical phase noise plot down to 1 Hz (or lower)? Your specs are very good, but I'm somewhat skeptical. If they are the real deal then I don't see a problem with the pricing.
The phase noise performance of any clock is tightly related to the clock frequency, for this reason we publish here two different plots for a low and a high frequency.
The test was performed from 0.1 Hz to 1 MHz in standard conditions, i.e. in absence of vibrations.
Please note that we don't provide a generic plot for all the devices with a certain frequency, but we provide and certify each plot related to a well defined device identified with its serial number that, in this case, is visible in the annexed full product range picture.
Each Pulsar Clock is provided with its own certificate as shown in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00421814F.jpg (174.6 KB, 1129 views)
File Type: jpg 00921114C.jpg (172.7 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: jpg Pulsar Clock and Pulsar Power.JPG (316.2 KB, 1072 views)
File Type: jpg Certificates.JPG (95.3 KB, 1043 views)

Last edited by Pulsar Clock; 15th October 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 15th October 2014, 03:41 PM   #29
nopants is offline nopants  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that's definitely impressive performance.
Old 26th October 2014, 08:14 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Implementation of the Pulsar power supply on the clock board of Ian,i have removed the PH connector,and solder the pins of the Pulsar power instead,pretty easy to do.I am very happy with the result.
Very good support from the team Pulsar,thank you again.

Click the image to open in full size.
Xo 1 partagé sur ZimageZ

XO2 partagé sur ZimageZ

XO3 partagé sur ZimageZ

Pulsar Clock - Ultra Low Noise OCXOHide this!Advertise here!