• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

diyinhk Store

Finally set spdif converter to working state today.
Schematics similar to Twisted Pear one, on MAX9203ESA+
Level shift (5V to 3.3 V) on SN74LVC1G126DBV.
Toslink part on TORX1952
Multiplexer 74hc151
Connected to spdif in of diyinhk board
All works flawlessly, if you need detailed schematics, I will publish it then

Hi everyone
I'm about to construct this DAC and I am hoping that you good people will be able to give me some idea where the "good oil" ends and the "snake oil begins".
My situation is that I'm currently using an HTPC, with a gigabyte M/B and ALC887 codec, to feed a My-Ref RevC amp and Q Acoustic 3050 speakers. I also have a HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC, that I believe is malfunctioning because the Realtech onboard codec sounds so much better!
Before I purchase to components from DIYINHK, I would be grateful if the more knowledgable people here could answer a few questions.
1. Is it worth paying the extra $30 for the isolated XMOS board?
2. Which provides the better connection USB or SPDIF? The M/B has a SPDIF header.
3. In my system am I likely to gain any advantage using the more expensive low-noise power supply regulators?
4. Would this transformer be suitable for this DAC? Transformateur R-CORE 30VA 2x15V + 2X9V - Audiophonics
Any assistance you can provide would be very much appreciated.

1. The isolated board when bought in the kit is only about $10 extra. Whether it is worth it is debatable. The isolation will prevent ground interference from your PC getting to the DAC via the USB ground connection. Many people seem to prefer isolation.

The down side to using an isolator is that it increases jitter. Many will then re-clock after the isolator to remove this jitter. The ESS DAC's have a jitter elimination circuit built in so you should be able to benefit from the isolation and not have an increased level of jitter.

2. USB can accomodate higher sample rates and will usually have lower levels of jitter, again that may not be an issue with the ESS DAC. If you use optical SPDIF then you get isolation of the signal as there is now no common ground connection between the computer and the DAC. This is similar to what you get with an isolation chip.

Optical spdif is better to use with this DAC as it is at the TTL level. Coaxial spdif needs the level boosted. You will need to check your MB to see what you have.

3. Hard to say but they are unlikely to make it worse ;)

4. The non isolated kit needs 2 x 3.3V and +/-12V the isolated kit needs 3.3V 5V and +/-12.

Using a 9V transformer to get 3.3V will mean that you are generating a lot of heat dropping the voltage. A 5 or 6V transformer will produce a lot less heat.

12V DC from 12VAC should be fine.

The setup works quite fine; the only issue are pops and clicks when switching to (and skipping within) DSD files (when using the shipped firmware).

These disappeared once I modified the firmware.
(BTW, I flashed the XMOS chip via an XTag 3 debugger; I have not tried over USB/DFU.)

Generally speaking I am pleased with the sound quality. However, good sources are needed for my ears to notice a difference as compared to the audio chipset of my motherboard.

I have not replaced the op-amps (yet).
I also use basic switched power supplies for now.

Sebbersund,

How do you like your setup? I have the same two boards, but I haven't yet powered them up. Did you keep the original opamps in the ES9016 board?