• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

diyinhk Store

I received many PM asking about the usb99 ES9018 pcb in this month, rather than the USB to I2S for ES9018 PCB..@_@|||||..
The final prototype is finally here^^ 99 includes ES9018chip and PCB, diyer can choose their favour IV component, it's should be more flexible. one audiophile opamp can cost more than 99, of course it's impossible to include in the kit.

The 99 ES9018 PCB uses I2S input(default), it also has SDA SCL connection and oscillator space if DIYer like to play with the unlock problem at asynchronous operation.

The ES9018 requires clock frequency above 40 MHz for optimal operation. The famous Xxxx and Axxxx USB to I2S PCB will have sound distortion problem if used for synchronous operation.
Our USB to I2S for ES9018 interface offers 49.152Mhz/45.158Mhz clocks that can be connected directly to the ES9018 DAC (bypassing the local clock). With synchronous operation you will not only experience better sound, but you can eliminate the unlock problem that many have experienced with asynchronous operation. Other interfaces are designed to operate with oscillators of 24.576Mhz and 22.5792Mhz and thus cannot properly interface with the ES9018 in a synchronous manner. It is the only low cost interface that is optimized to interface to the ES9018 in a synchronous manner.

IMG_1321_resize.JPG

Last edited:
ES9018 32bit Audio DAC kit USD99.95

The lowest cost ES9018 32bit Audio DAC kit is finally here
I received many PM asking about when will it be release,
I decide to release the final beta to the public, it is tested to work with our USB to I2S for ES9018 PCB.

All component are layout with hybrid soldering pads for thru-hole and SMT component to increase diyer flexibility.
The oscillator pads is universal, it fits 7050 5032 and Crystek CCHD950 footprint. It also has enable pin for diyer to choose synchronous or asynchronous operation easily.
The PCB runs in hardware mode(default), it also has SDA SCL routed out for Diyer to change the es9018 register if needed.
The schematic and BOM is printed directly on the PCB for diyer easier to assembly.

Comments are welcome to improve this PCB:D

IMG_1329_resize_logo.jpg

IMG_1321_resize.JPG

Last edited:
Hi diyinhk,

Congratulations! I like the fact that there are through holes in the pads.

Looks like you have a digital input power line for the digital 3.3v which also powers the 1.2v, and a separate 3.3 line for AVCC.

What is the circuitry next to the AVCC power line?

Some initial suggestions:

1- Separate the D2, D3, D4 and D5 lines in order to support DSD
2- Add some pads to take the balanced output straight from the DAC
3- Add some pads to take the balanced output before the conversion to single ended output
4- Add a pad for U.FL connector for the clock input.

It would be great if the following features are available, I would be in for 4 or maybe 6 boards depending on assembled price.

(1) Correct implementation of digital volume control ie no resolution loss in the upper 75% or so of the volume control range.
(2) Flexability in choice of output stages
(3) Ease of bypassing on board regulators to allowvarious LiPo4 battery power.
(4) High quality mini UFL ( as per Quisp suggestions) connectors or pads where possible.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
Derek.

Nice one !!

Interested as well at least in one, but might have a few friends that might jump on board with a few orders.
Also wondering about future plans on a 8Ch balanced version ??

Add a pad for U.FL connector for the clock input.

Agreed!

However, I would like to see more UFL connectors for I2S input, specially for SD, WS and SCK.
( A certain FIFO project comes to mind here along with a Si570 dual clock board )

:hohoho:

Last edited:
Thank you for all member suggestion,
The v2 pcb is ready, more thru hole component compatible soldering pads,
it's still default to I2S input^^ for easily to most of the people, but dsd user can use cutter to cut the trace and use d2-d5 seperately much more easily.
The source rises ES9018 chip priceT_T and the v2 pcb includes adp151 ultralow noise regulator pre-soldered for more friendly to thru hole diyer. Hopefully, the initial target price below 100 is still achieved^^ Actually, the source sudden reduce ES9018 price in the early of this month but rise again, if people also follows our cm6631 usb to i2s for es9018 pcb thread should know.

Bargain ESS DAC ?!

It's great to see you develop this in response to people's ideas. Any pictures of version 2 ?

Great work - US$100 is a good price - most of the other ES9018 DACS are several hundred dollars.

I also see you have some other modules - headphone amp, etc - are you planning to sell these too ?

Cheers

most of other es9018 dacs have all the parts soldered/included too and 4 layer PCBs, so not sure its a valid comparison. its cool there is a low cost option for people who want to start from scratch, but when you add everything up including decent power supplies for the analogue sections and clock, I wonder how much cheaper it will be. I bought my AKD12Ps on teflon board with only ESS dac soldered for $130. its unfortunately nolonger available that way. it ended up costing me more to stuff it myself, because parts are bought in smaller numbers.

or are all the parts included? my apologies if thats the case, it just seems unlikely with crystek clock

its hard to tell, is this really a single layer PCB?

Last edited:
most of other es9018 dacs have all the parts soldered/included too and 4 layer PCBs, so not sure its a valid comparison. its cool there is a low cost option for people who want to start from scratch, but when you add everything up including decent power supplies for the analogue sections and clock, I wonder how much cheaper it will be. I bought my AKD12Ps on teflon board with only ESS dac soldered for $130. its unfortunately nolonger available that way. it ended up costing me more to stuff it myself, because parts are bought in smaller numbers.

or are all the parts included? my apologies if thats the case, it just seems unlikely with crystek clock

its hard to tell, is this really a single layer PCB?

From the pics, I think v1 is double layer. I haven't seen v2 - pics please !

Double layer is fine - it's the routing/layout/vias/etc that really matters.

$90 vs $130 is almost 50% more; the Crystek is US$30; so even with a Crystek, it's still cheaper; $120 with Crystek vs $130 without. So I don't understand why you are complaining. Maybe you're just concerned that lower price = lower quality ? Gotta wait and see for that.

Actually, I think most ESS dacs are a little overpriced - in this part of the world you can get a dual AD1955 with 384Khz input from an FPGA asrc, for US$150, fully built and tested, with six opa627 etc etc. And it sounds great with a Crystek CCHD-957.

However, I want to try an ES9018 to see if it's been over-hyped (or not), and that NDA/datasheet nonsense was simply a way of making it seem like it was super-secret tech (or really was necessary for some reason). So a low priced board like this is definitely interesting.

So anyway, I'd really like to see some pics of the V2... please ?