• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Digital Turntable Tachometer and DDS based PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New RoadRunner Tachometer Feature

We've recently updated the firmware (and hardware) for the RoadRunner tachometer to include an accumulated playtime recorder. Whenever the platter is spinning, the tach records the accumulated playing time (in 0.1 Hour increments up to 100,000 Hours) and saves the running total in non-volatile memory. This feature can be used to log the total playing time on a stylus and as an indicator when to re-tip the cartridge. The accumulated time can be displayed at any time and reset to zero when the cartridge is re-tipped (see RoadRunner manual HERE for complete operating description).

The change was implemented on all production tachs with SN 540512 and higher and requires firmware version 1.10 or higher. The feature requires the addition of a non-volatile memory chip in hardware so it is not backward compatible with older units.

I recently purchased the Falcon and Roadrunner for a Rega P5 turntable. They work wonders together. The only drawback is the increased noise on 45RPM. I believe the Rega board has a relay to switch in the proper capacitor for 81Hz operation when used with Rega's own TT-PSU. Has anyone tinkered with this and come up with a solution?

Regas tt psu bypasses all the onboard electronics in their decks, it just uses the switch and connectors.

Really? I have the board from a P5 turntable right in front of my face and ears to hear the relay on the board click as it switches between 33 and 45 when connected to a TT-PSU. The connector the TT-PSU plugs into on this board goes straight to this relay according to the board traces. That relay switches between the phase capacitors for 33RPM (60Hz) or 45RPM (81Hz). Without the TT-PSU, the simple wall wart is connected to the board with the default 60Hz phase capacitor and you have to move the belt on the pulley for 45RPM.

Still, the problem I'm having is motor noise without that phase capacitor being switched into the circuit for 81Hz.

I finally looked up the relay and the connector type. Rega uses a 4 pin Kycon-DIN power plug connector for the TT-PSU to P3 and P5 turntables. Two of the pins carry the 24 volts AC for the motor and 24 volts DC for the relay. I just have to get a male connector and connect a DC power supply to energize the relay for 45RPM operation. Good thing I have an abundance of 24 volt supplies for headphone amps and phono pres. Not terribly elegant but it will hopefully reduce the noise when operating at 81Hz for 45RPM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.