• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AudioPower DPS-500-DA in GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I can only manage version DPS-500/DA up to + /-56V 10A.

We must consider the voltage drop under transient audio that can offer this smps. For this reason, the measures put with typical mosfetAmp (2 mosfets per side) and 4R, -- 2.7 R load, just to see how much power we have.
The behavior I think is very well known, thanks to the two FB (one per side),and power regulator linear,synchronized, (not pwm use),also the balance is very fast, as the output very clean with 8A continuous.
well, coming soon new measures.

The price is € 230 for a couple. (includes as photo).
The amount is fixed at 25pcs for GB, an opportunity to have a smps created for amplifiers and at the same time save a little money, (maybe there is a free amp as gain).. :)

Continue ...

Attachments

• DPS-500-DA-GB.jpg
    DPS-500-DA-GB.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,176
Last edited:
Hi,
Some first measure on DPS-500-DA/60V well tuned for Amateur Use.
I wait the first qty of all Nichicon Audio-Grade caps for this version for Tuesday.
-------
These measures demonstrate what he is capable technology.
So we have a smps , compact (30mm Height) , absolutely clean (- 78dB the fundamental 150kHz ) , Able to withstand large surge currents repeatedly , such as audio transient , with no compression on the envelope .
In terms simple, we can offers of course, excellent dynamics with unquestionable realism on fast attacks ( timbre of musical instruments) .
Also, the geometry of the audio envelope is closer to the real one, with a result of greater SPL product.
Note: All those who have, for example, the DPA-400/F3, ask if it is 800w :) but we measure only 320w at 4R SIN
These three performances, (sorry for some, for my statement ) , it is not subjective when listening .
The problem is , that we are not trained to listen psu that does not drop under the transients , the reason is simple ... we have not , before the DPS -500- xx .
-------------------------------------------------- -
The image sound ( stereo ) , height of the stage and other definitions have nothing to do with the PSU .
For sure, I will not spend my time trying to convince those of the old school.
maybe there a reason... why not have AudioPower smps normal? :D

P.S. The third pic (SIN- 4R Clip) , is outside of the physical, consider this smps , uses only 470uF in the Main filter cell.
Measure and photo Continue...

Regards

Attachments

• DPA-500-DA-60V-Burst.png
    DPA-500-DA-60V-Burst.png
    676 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Global View.jpg
    Global View.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 897
  • 4R.1Khz-DPS-500-DA.png
    4R.1Khz-DPS-500-DA.png
    794.1 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:
Hi,
Et voila! ...The version I dedicated amateurs.
The difference is immediately listenable at 5w (not as you think, just near the region of the clip, or just Increase the power on amps).
well, my job is done, as you can see I chose Nichicon audio grade for this version, I have to say that the difference is much more than what I thought, I had to completely revise the levels and constants in the two feedback, including current limiting .
At this point, we have set 1V rms drop under load, regardless of whether continuous or burst.

...Now it takes a very special Amp

Regards

Attachments

• DPS-500-DA-Special Version.png
    DPS-500-DA-Special Version.png
    802.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Hi Sir Roberto, I'm interested to buy one unit with 56 volt dc rail, with 230 volt ac source, I want to try it on my class AB amp. just tell me the cost of one unit plus shipping to Dubai U.A.E.

regards,
Marjohn

Hi Marjohn,
I can offer this new "special Edition" of THE DPS-500/DA-56V in GB at €136+32€ UPS 3 days. products ready.

If you not need immediately, please add your name on thread.
I want show some measure and start the GB.

Hi AP2,

How would this supply work for the diyAB 150w "Honey Badger" amp ?

Thanks

I do not have this amp, I just took a look now.
Certainly it is an amp that does not have problems PSRR, but like all amps, voltage requires a firm and clean. the exact reason, why I developed this new technology smps. one draw each amplifier, especially if using BJT, may offer a new sound, very dry even at low power, as "Toc" instead of "Tump", in an example of the big drum. hahaha sorry, I can not find the right words.

I hope that the amateurs to which I have devoted my time, understand quickly that we've had for 30 years, the linear psu with large capacitors bank, which failed, however, after 3ms, and in the case of continuous envelope, as classic music, not can no longer charge the capacitors. but the choice is forced, considering there is no other alternative.
Now there is. :)

Hi AP2,

Can one adjust the output voltage to +/-45 volt by turning the trimmer on-board ?

How many DPS 500/DA modules are needed to power a stereo First One amp. in
bridge configuration (total 4 FO modules) and have some headroom ?

Thanks
Hi,
Thank you for this question , this allows me to illustrate a voltage table , in reference to unreg psu . can help you choose the correct voltage .
The difference part from the lower voltage as 4V , up to 8V , in the case of 60V .
this means , for example your 45V , 41V can be chosen in the case of the DPS -500 . or should know that the excess power , if voltage is 45V .
Soon I'll put a simple software , where you can enter also,the total rdson Vs. rail (or emitter resistance fr bjt) , and you can read some parameters related to the load , even dynamic . Obviously the software is free .

The trim is used to adjust essentially about 3V total in the final test. can be used.
(the required voltage is obtained with the trim at 50 %)

The DPS-500/DA has a precise differential limiter , delay of 120ms 10A ( peak 14Amp allows repeatable) .

There are no problems if the current flows simultaneously in the two outputs (as bridge amp)
The DPS -500- xx series, loses the ultra fast adjustment in case the current is simultaneously on the two outputs , but with intensity not equal ( in case of stereo) .
But we have 1000 reasons for wanting a psu for each channel. :)

In the meantime , if anyone wants to calculate the power of the load, just know that I have fixed the drop vs.load between 10mV to 1V max (at 10A continuos )
As writed on the first pic, the voltage can be selected (at purchase ) between 36V to 60V , independant of 110/230Vac.

Not knowing what load (in your example) link your full balanced amps, I recommend using 1 DPS-500 / S in this case, for a couple of Amps.

Last edited:
Hi Roberto,

I have finally received my chassis and will start assembling my Quad VSSA (LC version). I'll be using two Hypex SMPS180A400 and two of your marvelous DSP-500/DA modules. Now here's a few questions for you.

1 - I want to use two VSSA for mids and highs and two VSSA for bass drivers. For best sound quality, where should I use the DPS-500/DA?

2 - If I want to piggy back two DPS-500/DA modules with a 6.5mm aluminum plate in between them and attach the DPS-500/DA to the bottom plate of the amp by their heatsinks, is there any screws that should be isolated or they all go to chassis ground?

3 - If I decide to stack the DPS-500/DA instead of Piggy back them, any recommandations? What to do and what not to do?

Is it ok to piggy back or stack them or not recommended at all?

Thanks
Do

Hi Roberto,

I have finally received my chassis and will start assembling my Quad VSSA (LC version). I'll be using two Hypex SMPS180A400 and two of your marvelous DSP-500/DA modules. Now here's a few questions for you.

1 - I want to use two VSSA for mids and highs and two VSSA for bass drivers. For best sound quality, where should I use the DPS-500/DA?

2 - If I want to piggy back two DPS-500/DA modules with a 6.5mm aluminum plate in between them and attach the DPS-500/DA to the bottom plate of the amp by their heatsinks, is there any screws that should be isolated or they all go to chassis ground?

3 - If I decide to stack the DPS-500/DA instead of Piggy back them, any recommandations? What to do and what not to do?

Is it ok to piggy back or stack them or not recommended at all?

Thanks
Do
Hi Dominic,
Without any doubt, use the DPS-500 for the bass, it offers excellent timbre, very dry. and, in the case of VSSA amp, ensures perfect rebalancing of the power stage, between a transient and the other.
I would recommend using the DPS-500 horizontally (like the pic post # 3) and changing the spacers with plastic. in this case, the heatsink are isolated from the chassis.

I not have in mind , how the Hipex 180A400 are arranged inside the case, considering 4xsmps.

Hi Dominic,
Without any doubt, use the DPS-500 for the bass, it offers excellent timbre, very dry. and, in the case of VSSA amp, ensures perfect rebalancing of the power stage, between a transient and the other.
I would recommend using the DPS-500 horizontally (like the pic post # 3) and changing the spacers with plastic. in this case, the heatsink are isolated from the chassis.

I not have in mind , how the Hipex 180A400 are arranged inside the case, considering 4xsmps.

ok, it is just space that is the issue but I'm pretty sure I can make things fit.

So you're suggesting to change the standoffs to plastic? Should ot least one of them be metal for chassis ground safety? If yes, which one? I know that the two front (opposite to heatsink) have ground logo but not earth logo

Do I have to put in a shield cage around the SMPS to ensure there is no leakage of EMI/RFI to the amp modules?

Thanks
Do

ok, it is just space that is the issue but I'm pretty sure I can make things fit.

So you're suggesting to change the standoffs to plastic? Should ot least one of them be metal for chassis ground safety? If yes, which one? I know that the two front (opposite to heatsink) have ground logo but not earth logo

Do I have to put in a shield cage around the SMPS to ensure there is no leakage of EMI/RFI to the amp modules?

Thanks
Do
Hi,
The two screws side high voltage, are connected to EMI grid,then we put to heart gnd. then,only two require isolation.
A great contribution is just cleaning the Vcc output, this is an important benefit, not only for the class D. In addition, the irradiation and the driving (EMI / RFI) is the lowest obtainable.

Hi,
The two screws side high voltage, are connected to EMI grid,then we put to heart gnd. then,only two require isolation.
A great contribution is just cleaning the Vcc output, this is an important benefit, not only for the class D. In addition, the irradiation and the driving (EMI / RFI) is the lowest obtainable.

The 2 screws on the high voltage side are the one with GND logo, so the two screws on the heatsink side need isolation, correct?

Thanks
Do

The 2 screws on the high voltage side are the one with GND logo, so the two screws on the heatsink side need isolation, correct?

Thanks
Do

The logo to say "put to gnd of the frame," it is a little confusing.
the two screws high voltage side, are connected only to the emi filter, no more, so they have to go on the frame.
Isolate with plastic spacers, the two screws side dc output.
remains the problem of the heatsink. if you use the heatsink included, this does not touch the frame, and is connected to gnd output. therefore remains isolated from the chassis.

Info:
I need that the heatsink is connected to gnd in the pcb, I remind you that this is not a standard smps. on board we have a class A amplifier stage, with 10MHz BW and two feedback loops (diferrential).
The DPS-500 running very stable even with no load or inductive load.

Last edited:
Hi Roberto,

I would be interrsted to use this smps dps-500-da for the first one amp. What did you think about this? Why will the "S" version better?
Hi Darb,
Both use same pcb version, the difference is in the power-units(trafo), just the "S" version is designed for high voltage,obvious with different current sustain in case of big.A-B class as 4-5 power devices on power stage for side.
This version of the "DA", dedicated to the first one amp also, the savings is about 65 €, complete set including Nichicon audio grade. One problem...in case of gb, i can offer only 25pz D/A version., others qty available on AudioPower shop.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.