Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

First One - mosfet amplifier module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2016, 08:47 PM   #3451
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
or use a power regulator
What's that?
Old 27th November 2016, 09:04 AM   #3452
ClaudeG is offline ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
savvas

Use GND lift, complete GND isolation just like it is drawn in v1.4 manual.

Regarding bass, use CapBanks (gorgeous bass) and there will be no amp better than FO M, period.

L.C.
Hi LC,

How would you desribe sonic differences between S, M and L... If there are any?

Thanks as ever

Claude
Old 27th November 2016, 09:11 AM   #3453
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
What's that?

Guess this

SuperTeddyReg | DIY | TeddyPardo

Claude
Old 27th November 2016, 09:16 AM   #3454
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Having played now with five SMPS I can declare that very decent sound can be obtained from them, provided you increase output capacitance or use a power regulator, like the only one I know and use, the PowerReg, from Teddy Pardo.
I recommend a minimum extra of 10mf per rail per channel (NTC thermistor in series with primaries), better use non-regulated SMPS, and the bigger the better, within reasonable sizes.

I have not used all MFRS, but Connex and Hypex. I can asure that the SMSP800RE from Connex is not bad at all...it lacks DC error sense, though.

It ended a little crowded inside.

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.

At the end how would you rate the sound quality of each SMPS?
Are there any big sonic differences or is all nuances once you increase output capacitance?

Regarding the Super Power Regulator, how does it perform vs an increase of capacitance? I must confess, increasing capacitance seems to me much easier and I would have thought regulators would have been too slow or provide not enough current...

Thanks again

Claude
Old 27th November 2016, 02:55 PM   #3455
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
What's that?
A voltage regulator for high power circuits.
There are many. I have used only one class (Power reg) and stuck with it because it works fine. Only used in "chipamps" and low voltage class A amps, including a V-FET single ended class A amp, very recently, with which it works great.

Here's the link:
Introducing the PowerReg - pink fish media

Quote:
At the end how would you rate the sound quality of each SMPS?
Are there any big sonic differences or is all nuances once you increase output capacitance?

Regarding the Super Power Regulator, how does it perform vs an increase of capacitance? I must confess, increasing capacitance seems to me much easier and I would have thought regulators would have been too slow or provide not enough current...
First, about regulation v/s non-regulation, stick with the inventors recommendation, which in the case of F.O. 1.4M is non-regulated supply.

I use PowerReg in lower quality amps or when I want to save on caps.
I have used it on my Hypex UCD class D amps and did not find any difference so I removed them.

Second, about SMPS differences, it is hard to say because the better connex (SMPS800RE) was used on a chinese LME49810 based bipolar class B amp. Anyway, both SMPS with increased capacitance improved a lot, with not only better bass but also better bass harmonics, more dense images, more ambient sound (and ambient noises), with the Hypex sounding more tight and precise and the Connex sounding more relaxed or romantic...but it could be well a difference in the amp modules themselves as you can understand.
I referred previously about listening to the FO as like wearing a magnifying glass; adding more capacitance is like using a more potent magnifying glass...

FO has now extra Elna 10mF//Russian polystyrene 250nF per rail. I had no space to put one extra 1uF polystyrene.

I hope this helps.
M.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:02 PM   #3456
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

A voltage regulator for high power circuits.
There are many. I have used only one class (Power reg) and stuck with it because it works fine. Only used in "chipamps" and low voltage class A amps, including a V-FET single ended class A amp, very recently, with which it works great.

Here's the link:
Introducing the PowerReg - pink fish media

First, about regulation v/s non-regulation, stick with the inventors recommendation, which in the case of F.O. 1.4M is non-regulated supply.

I use PowerReg in lower quality amps or when I want to save on caps.
I have used it on my Hypex UCD class D amps and did not find any difference so I removed them.

Second, about SMPS differences, it is hard to say because the better connex (SMPS800RE) was used on a chinese LME49810 based bipolar class B amp. Anyway, both SMPS with increased capacitance improved a lot, with not only better bass but also better bass harmonics, more dense images, more ambient sound (and ambient noises), with the Hypex sounding more tight and precise and the Connex sounding more relaxed or romantic...but it could be well a difference in the amp modules themselves as you can understand.
I referred previously about listening to the FO as like wearing a magnifying glass; adding more capacitance is like using a more potent magnifying glass...

FO has now extra Elna 10mF//Russian polystyrene 250nF per rail. I had no space to put one extra 1uF polystyrene.

I hope this helps.
M.
Why not just transformers and Capacitors.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:25 PM   #3457
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply Maxlorenz, appreciated :-)

Claude
Old 27th November 2016, 06:52 PM   #3458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
Yeah, why not?
Old 27th November 2016, 06:59 PM   #3459
Lazy Cat is offline Lazy Cat  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SMPS's energy/time transfer to secondary caps (read transients, natural dynamic - current on demand) is way better and as such very audible.
Old 27th November 2016, 07:16 PM   #3460
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
SMPS's energy/time transfer to secondary caps (read transients, natural dynamic - current on demand) is way better and as such very audible.
Yeah, sorry I could not refrain. Besides this is DIYA and we are allowed (and supposed) to try every PS-circuit-cable-connector...etc, we imagine to suit our taste or experiment. (just see my speaker connection, if you can, from the bad pics)

I plan to build a conventional linear supply powered FO (50mF per rail) just to convince me which approach is better, as I already had the parts.

Anyway, when we are building 10 different amps, we seek cheaper and more efficient power alternatives.

Cheers,
M.

First One - mosfet amplifier moduleHide this!Advertise here!