• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 I2S Input DAC incl. JG Filter Buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dear all
I am happy to announce the availability of the ES9023 I2S input DAC including the JG Filter + Buffer as a ready to use board.
The development of the board has been discussed here on DIYaudio and miniDSP helped me to make the DAC available for those who are not that familiar with tiny SMD soldering.
The board is stuffed with good quality components (MIC5205 Regs, Fox Xpresso low phase noise XO, Pana FR Elcaps,...) including matched FETs for the output buffer. We decided to leave out the 1:4 MCLK divider and also the U.FL connectors to cut cost a bit since not everyone will actually use those; however everything is routed and the corresponding parts could easily be stuffed afterwards.

Please find a short user manual with some more Info here.

The DAC is available through the miniDSP online shop and the price is 40 US$ (+ shipping).
Have fun, Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Is the board using the Fastron 18mH inductors or some cheap Hong Kong version ? Also I noticed there are no trim pots for offset null adjustment on the JG Buffer.
The miniDSP site is not protected (at least for the mandatory registration) and the shipping for USA is $20.
Is the schematic the same as
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...g-new-ess-vout-dac-es9022-11.html#post3370549 ?
Thank you.
Michael

Joined 2010
Paid Member
All parts have been ordered from Mouser or Digikey and the Inductors are the 18mH Fastron which have been proven to be very good. The BF862 FETs have been IDSS matched according to my instructions and the output DC offset is quite low (few mV, I have build more than 10 boards and also measured the one from miniDSP). So there should be no need for further trimming. However there is a jumper (0 Ohm resistor) that could be exchanged e.g. by a pot.
Please find attached the final schematic however note that not all parts are populated.
I'll contact miniDSP wrt protected registration.
regards, Daniel

Attachments

• ES9023 + JG Buffer v1.1 final.jpg
    ES9023 + JG Buffer v1.1 final.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 2,784
Ordered a set. Sent email after payment has been made to enquire about delivery schedule and if the shipping has tracking. Two days passed and no reply. I also noticed that there were 3 stars out of 5 stars indicated on the product order page. Just wondering what that means.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
curryman DAC Groupbuy

Since some complained about quite high shipping costs to Europe (30$):
miniDSP had some trouble with standard airmail which would be about 1/2 the price. Parcels got lost and sometimes it took quite long (few weeks). So they decided to only offer speedpost which is really fast and reliable. However I can fully understand that 30$ is quite a lot compared to the boards price of 40$.

Therefore I decided to offer a groupbuy for the German/European customers. Boards will be shipped to me and i will distribute them. Price will be 40€ plus shipping.
I will set up a google spreadsheet with all info soon where you can add your DIYaudio ID.
regards, Daniel

All parts have been ordered from Mouser or Digikey and the Inductors are the 18mH Fastron which have been proven to be very good. The BF862 FETs have been IDSS matched according to my instructions and the output DC offset is quite low (few mV, I have build more than 10 boards and also measured the one from miniDSP). So there should be no need for further trimming. However there is a jumper (0 Ohm resistor) that could be exchanged e.g. by a pot.
Please find attached the final schematic however note that not all parts are populated.
I'll contact miniDSP wrt protected registration.
regards, Daniel

My board has 45mV on the left and 150mV on the right. Can you tell me specifically where the jumper is and how to add the pot to trim out the dc? Other than this, the sound is truly remarkable and the board is very nice.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedbackand good to hear that you like the sound :)

While the DC should not be a big problem if the amp is ac-coupled (capacitor or servo) I am wondering a bit about the quite high values. I build more than 10 DACs myself and always had below 10mV (most are 2-4mV). I'll check this with the manufacturer.

The 0 Ohm resistors are R46 and R56, however adjustment only works in one direction. So if you have a small negative offset (e.g. -50mV referenced to ground) you can use a small pot (you'll need approximately 10 Ohm for 50mV) instead of the jumpers to adjust the DC offset.

regards, Daniel

Today I received my Curryman DAC.
Just I am waiting my usb->i2s to arrived, I am thinking to make the appropriates Salas regs for the dac.
The manual refers "The DAC board requires two power supplies:
a (regulated or unregulated) DC power supply for the DAC and XO in the range from 4.5V to 12V (max. 65mA) and a regulated bipolar DC power supply between +/-10V and +/-18V (max. 35mA per rail)."
Is there a spot voltage point like the (5V and ±15V) or it is no care?
I see that used the Linear LT1761 that is low noise, is there need for something more exotic, for example what says here if the 3.6V of ESS gives from a Salas 3.6V reg?
I am imaging for the the buffer stage the quality of psu is more important.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Today I received my Curryman DAC.
Just I am waiting my usb->i2s to arrived, I am thinking to make the appropriates Salas regs for the dac.
The manual refers "The DAC board requires two power supplies:
a (regulated or unregulated) DC power supply for the DAC and XO in the range from 4.5V to 12V (max. 65mA) and a regulated bipolar DC power supply between +/-10V and +/-18V (max. 35mA per rail)."
Is there a spot voltage point like the (5V and ±15V) or it is no care?
I see that used the Linear LT1761 that is low noise, is there need for something more exotic, for example what says here if the 3.6V of ESS gives from a Salas 3.6V reg?
I am imaging for the the buffer stage the quality of psu is more important.

Salas regs work very good for the buffer. +/- 12-15V will be perfectly fine. You'll not improve things going any higher since max output swing is 2Vrms and this works from arround +/-10V. Higher values will raise dissipation though.
The DAC uses MIC5205 as local regs which works quite well. 5V is perfectly fine here.
I did not test more "exotic" regs like salas here to be honest. Some experimented with other regs and also deactivating the charge pump and use external negative supply so they may like to jump in here. I like the simplicity of the Design ;)

diyskat said:
Daniel, I was trying to see what the shipping cost to Australia was on the minidsp site but it seems like Australia is not a supported destination. Any thoughts?
To be honest I don't know if they ship to Australia (I guess they do). Maybe you should simply contact miniDSP and ask them?

I participated in the beta for this board and I can't say enough great things about it. Pick one up it's worth the $40 + shipping. Power supply wise I used the Sigma 25 from AMB.org. While it's not the fanciest power supply it did work quite well at the price point I was trying to achieve.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Availability of curryman ES9023 I2S DAC

Hello all,

after solving the DC offset issue the DACs will be available at miniDSP again quite soon.

In the meantime I have a few of the boards available. Those boards have been reworked with new BF862 FETs matched by me and are fully tested (overall functional test, DC offset max. +/-10mV for both channels). I'll sell them for 42€ plus shipping (Europe preferred).

Please send me a PM if you are intereseted.

regards, Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.