• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My ES9018 DAC/Amp/Controller..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a beautiful piece of art and work.

I might be interested in this as a development platform. Would I be able to write software for it (custom tone control, general dsp algorithms)? If yes, could you say anything about the tools used (MatLab, assembly, etc)?

Would like to have 8-channel XLR balanced outputs. For inputs, 8 to 12 balanced XLR balanced inputs would be great (minimum 4 inputs).

Does this seem like a good fit? Thanks for the offer to share your design.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the compliments. It's not development platform like a DSP board, it's a DAC board. There is a PIC16F886 microcontroller on-board that's in-system programmable providing I2C signals to program the DAC registers. The I2C signals are also available on a header for external control. As far as a development platform I believe there are some available on this forum that can do some of things you mentioned. For the moment I'll be using a 2 x in, 4 x out minidsp for a stereo 2-way digital crossover using the I2S signals off the headers. But I would rather have something more powerful to design my own digital filters. If you find a good development platform please let me know.

To answer your second question, for 8-channels it's a great fit. It's one of the main reason why I went ahead with this design. You also have the option of stacking up to 4 DAC boards, and 4 stereo output amplifiers with both single ended and balanced outputs. With this setup you have a total of 32 DACs, 4 DACs in parallel for all 8 channels. Hope the info helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Al

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,

Attached is a pic of the I2S/DSD input board assembled and stacked on top of the 8-channel S/PDIF input board. The firmware is done, just need to test it. The S/PDIF signal integrity looks good, I2S is next. Unfortunately I don't have a DSD source at the moment so it will have to wait. I have other ideas for different types of input boards with more options, but this is a good start. I'll keep you all posted.

Best Regards,

Al

Attachments

• CIMG2287.jpg
    CIMG2287.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,426
Last edited:
Hi Lil Knight and kuribo,

To go back to my original question, which USB audio device are you planning on using? My guess is your computer outputs audio via USB that then connects to an external USB audio device like an Amanero, or XMOS that outputs DSD or I2S or both. This info will help me with any future input board designs? Thanks!

Al

While not directed at me, I'll toss i ny 2 cents :) I've done 3 - 4 I2S/9018 builds in the last year or so and have used...

* Amanero (recent builds with Acko's Isolator/Reclocker & clock board)
* exaU2I
* eXD USB receiver

I picked up a I2SOverUSB card to vet that. Most of these receivers shared pinouts for both I2S & DSD, with a hi/low pin to indicate either. The eXD board had separate headers for I2S & DSD. Happy to provide more info if you'd like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.