• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tortuga Audio LDR3x DIY Preamp Controller w/ Remote

What type remote do you prefer to control your preamp?

• Use a dedicated custom remote?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Use the Apple Remote?

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Use an app on my iPhone, iPad or Android?

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Custom plus apps?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Apple plus apps?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Absolute Sound reviews the LDR3.V2 Passive Preamp

Check out the review of our LDR3.V2 Passive Preamp in the December, 2015 issue of The Absolute Sound.

See the review summary below and here's a link to the review itself: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documents/docs/TAS_Review_LDR3.V2_December2015.pdf

"For many audiophiles the “best” preamplifier is the one that does the least damage to the signal. If you are one of these audiophiles, the Tortuga Audio LDR3.V2 could be your best and your last preamplifier. Sure, it may not be flashy-looking, and it’s not going to add to your system’s warmth or euphony, but if you want the ultimate in transparency you would be hard-pressed—regardless of budget—to find a preamplifier, passive or active, that delivers your music with less editorializing than the Tortuga Audio LDR3.V2." - Steven Stone | The Absolute Sound | Dec 2015

Last edited:
PS12B Battery Power Supply

The PS12B Battery Power Supply is now available for pre-order on our website.

Having learned from our prior experiences that new products have never been released by our planned release date I pushed the release date out an extra month in an attempt to catch up to reality. We'll see how that goes. :eek:

Please note that with pre-orders you are not charged until the actual release date.

More info on the PS12B can be found here: PS12B Battery Power Supply | Tortuga Audio

[Pic shows an LDR3.V2 preamp sitting on top of the PS12B Battery Power Supply]
PS12B_with_LDR3_Rev4.jpg

"Boathull" custom milled speakers/cabinets

Here are pics of the finished "boathull" 0.32 cubic foot speaker cabinets. Made of milled baltic birch plywood with zebra wood veneer on top, bottom and baffle. Body is ellipsoid (boat hull) in shape - 1 inch thick walls. Finished in about 10 layers of gloss poly oil.

Woofer is a Scanspeak Revelator 15W/8530K00
Tweeter is a Scanspeak Revelator D2905/990000

Customer wanted these built without crossovers so unfortunately I'm not going to get to have a proper listen before shipping them out...but that was the arrangement. They are set up for external crossover/bi-amping.

There's a reason most speaker cabinets are simple rectangular boxes - cheap and easy. These are neither. Very unique and quite stunning to look at. Each cabinet is unique with its own laminate pattern depending on the random nature of the baltic birch in the plywood.

Our next build will be a set of floor standers, probably 44 inches tall, 13.5 inches wide with 10" Audio Nirvana full range drivers. Considering making those with continuous integral baltic birch all the way around - no separate front baffle to attach. That build will become our standard design.

Please contact me if you, or anybody you know, is interested in a set of custom make cabinets using this construction technique. At this point we're only planning to build these to order.

boathull_front.jpg

boathull_frontandback.jpg

boathull_leftside.jpg

boathull_top.jpg

boathull_rear.jpg

boathull_topcorner.jpg

boathull_rightside.jpg

Received this note below last night from a customer who has our LDRx model passive preamp. :)

I have been a hi fi enthusiast since I bought my first stereo in 1980. Over the decades, I have tried numerous active preamps: solid state and tube (was never able to live with solid state, so usually ran tubed units), as well as passive units: potentiometer/resistor based units sound thin (even with impedance matching), and I had much better luck with TVCs. But, I bought your LDRx (with the silver wire, when that option was offered) and it is hands down the best preamp I’ve used: all the comments made by others are spot on. Open, easy, organic, transparent etc., and - above all else - natural. It makes other preamps (esp. active ones) sound electronic and mechanical. Thanks Morten, brilliant work.

sincerely, E.R.C., Madison WI

Firmware Update & Apple Remote Changes

Effective Monday, May 16, 2016 we are releasing version 2.2 of our firmware including changes in how the Apple Remote is used to control Tortuga Audio preamps. All new preamps will ship with the 2.2 firmware. Owners of existing V2 series preamps including the LDRx and LDRxB can upgrade to the 2.2 firmware if they wish.

This firmware update is a refinement of Tortuga Audio's V2 (and V2.1) generation preamp controller that was last released in January of 2015.

Highlights of this firmware update are as follows:

* Addition of auto-repeat to the Apple Remote providing ease of ramping volume up or down with a single press of the remote
* Improved Apple Remote functionality through a restructured control scheme
* Balance adjustment is now the primary function of the left/right buttons along with volume control via raise/lower buttons
* The Power On/Off button is now the Power On/Off-Mute button
* The Mute(play) button has been repurposed as a Control Mode button with the following control modes:
* Input Adjust
* Impedance Adjust
* Display Brightness Adjust
* Max Volume at Input Change Adjust
* Improved control integration between preamp boards for balanced audio configurations
* Enhanced stability through numerous tweaks under-the-hood
* Better protection against spurious infrared noise sources that might cause false control inputs

The firmware won't be available for download until Monday 5.16.16.

More info can be found via the following 2 links:

A posted article saying substantially the same thing as above.
Firmware Update & Apple Remote Changes | Tortuga Audio

A new section in our documentation detailing the new Apple Remote controls.
Product Documentation

For those interested in building your own DIY LDR passive preamp, we sell all the core parts needed and also complete kits. More info available here: DIY Passive Preamp Parts | Tortuga Audio

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers, :D
Morten

Golden Ear Award for Tortuga Audio's LDR3.V2

We are pleased to announce that Absolute Sound has given our LDR3.V2 Passive Preamp its Golden Ear Award for 2016! :D

"For many audiophiles the “best” preamplifier is the one that does the least damage to the signal. If you are one of these audiophiles, the Tortuga Audio LDR3.V2 could be your best and your last preamplifier. Sure, it may not be flashy-looking, and it’s not going to add to your system’s warmth or euphony, but if you want the ultimate in transparency you would be hard-pressed—regardless of budget—to find a preamplifier, passive or active, that delivers your music with less editorializing than the Tortuga Audio LDR3.V2." - The Absolute Sound
2016_goldenear_500px.jpg

LDR1.V2 Passive Preamp - single input

On October 1st we are releasing a new single input version of our popular single-ended LDR passive preamps - the LDR1.V2.

The LDR1 is $995 including free domestic US shipping. It's available now for pre-order. You won't be charged for pre-ordering until such time as the preamp is released October 1st.

More info on the LDR1 can be found here: LDR1.V2 Passive Preamp | Tortuga Audio

Rear_BlackAnodize_LDR1.jpg

LDR.V25 preamp controller is now available for pre-order

The LDR.V25 preamp controller is now available for pre-order with an anticipated release date of April 1st.

Changes from the V2.1 predecessor model include:

• Integrated input switching for up to 6 inputs (12 channels) - no more separate IO board
  • All input switching done with LDRs - no relays in signal path
  • 32 (vs. 8 ) bit high performance ARM processor with significantly more code space available for growth/improvements
  • 4 vs. 2 12 bit DACs for more precise control the LDRs
  • Fully automatic hands-off self-calibration of the LDRs
  • 120 vs. 60 attenuation steps (0.5 db/step)
  • Active components mostly surface mount vs. through hole
  • Significantly improved on board power supply regulation
The CAD pic below will be replaced in about a week with an actual V25 board.

LDRV25_integrated.jpg

The LDR V25 preamp controller (the "V25") is a software driven audio volume control and input switching device for high performance passive and active audio preamps.

Like its predecessors (the V1, V2 and V2.1 preamp controller) the V25 utilizes light dependent resistors (LDRs) to attenuate volume. Tortuga Audio's LDR based volume control is now in its 4th generation and delivers a level of sound quality that once you experience it you won't want to go back to conventional potentiometers, stepped attenuators or even transformer based volume controls.

By itself, the V25 preamp controller board allows the audio hobbyist, professional designer or OEM to build an exceptional passive audio preamp that rivals the performance of some of the best high end preamp equipment available today regardless of price. When mated with a downstream preamp gain stage and buffer, the V25 becomes the heart of a very high performance active preamp.
Details on the V25 including pricing/options etc. can be found here: LDR V25 Preamp Controller | Tortuga Audio

During the pre-release period we are offering the V25 at $50 off the list price.

If you wish to pre-order a V25 keep in mind that you will NOT be charged until the V25 is released.

Cheers,
smiley_thumb.gif

Morten

LDR.V25 preamp controller with remote control

Check out our latest LDR V25 preamp controller board - starting at $299 with single input

More info here: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/ldr-v25-preamp-controller/

Some the highlights include:
* LDRs - light dependent resistors - for amazing sound quality
* 99 step attenuation over 60 dB
* up to 6 switchable inputs using LDR for switching
* built-in self-calibration of LDRs
* uses the Apple remote control (sold separately or use your own silver Apple remote)
* also controllable via encoder knob
* visual feedback via dual 7-segment display modules (sold separately)
* firmware update via USB connection and PC (not available for MACs).

LDRV25_TopView_3_ClearCropped.png

LDRV25_TopFrontView.jpg

LDRV25_SideView_1.jpg

Last edited:
LDR.V25 preamp controller plus component kit

We are now offering a component kit for the V25 that includes:
* Apple remote
* 12 VDC power supply
* rotary encoder with cable
* dual display modules with cables
* USB cable (for firmware update)
for $181.

So for $299 for V25 plus $181 you get everything except for RCA jacks, wire and enclosure to build you own high performance passive preamp. Add a buffer of your choice and you have an exceptional high performance active preamp.

Check out our latest LDR V25 preamp controller board - starting at $299 with single input

More info here: LDR V25 Preamp Controller | Tortuga Audio

Some the highlights include:
* LDRs - light dependent resistors - for amazing sound quality
* 99 step attenuation over 60 dB
* up to 6 switchable inputs using LDR for switching
* built-in self-calibration of LDRs
* uses the Apple remote control (sold separately or use your own silver Apple remote)
* also controllable via encoder knob
* visual feedback via dual 7-segment display modules (sold separately)
* firmware update via USB connection and PC (not available for MACs).

LDRV25_TopView_3_ClearCropped.png

LDRV25_TopFrontView.jpg

LDRV25_SideView_1.jpg

Wow, it's actually been a whole year since we posted here. What the heck have we been doing in the meantime?

One project that's been occupying a lot of our time is evolving our latest V25 LDR Preamp Controller including a ton of work incorporating a new graphic OLED display and menu driven interactive remote control that makes it way easier to configure and use our preamp controller.

We've also updated the base V25 offering to include 3 input switching plus a mono switch with optional expansion to 6 inputs.

The V25 with 3 inputs plus mono switch is available for $299 - LDR V25 Preamp Controller | Tortuga Audio

The 256 x 64 pixel white on black OLED display is available for $149 - OLED Display Module | Tortuga Audio

More info on the OLED display control menu structure can be found in our online documentation: Product Documentation | Tortuga Audio

OLED_with_cables.jpg

oled_vs_7seg_2.jpg

V25_OLED_connections.jpg

Never experienced this even with the first iteration of the product.

Since it is passive, the lack of bass and mids could be that you need to shorten your inter-connects or get a buffer, especially if your amplifier’s input impedance is very low it will be harder to drive.

I have version 1 and 2 and they work very well but please do check cable impedance the amplifier’s. You could even use a buffer to test.

All the best!
Do

Does this unit still suffer from lack of bass and mid range or is this an issue of an older model . What has been done to resolve this issue .

No it doesn't, and I've also stopped beating my wife. Actually neither is true. What?

One thing that has never ever happened, ever, is someone who has bought and actually used our LDR preamps, who then subsequently contacted us and said our preamp controller lacks bass and midrange. Now I concede it's possible that someone may have suffered in silence and not told us but I've found that most folks are quick to communicate their disappointments.

My own personal experience is that our preamp controllers do not in fact suffer from lack of bass or midrange. Never have. If they did I'd quit making them. Just like I did with my wife. Wait. What?

Does this unit still suffer from lack of bass and mid range or is this an issue of an older model . What has been done to resolve this issue .

No it doesn't, and I've also stopped beating my wife. Actually neither is true. What?

One thing that has never ever happened, ever, is someone who has bought and actually used our LDR preamps, who then subsequently contacted us and said our preamp controller lacks bass and midrange. Now I concede it's possible that someone may have suffered in silence and not told us but I've found that most folks are quick to communicate their disappointments.

My own personal experience is that our preamp controllers do not in fact suffer from lack of bass or midrange. Never have. If they did I'd quit making them. Just like I did with my wife. Wait. What?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.