• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tortuga Audio LDR3x DIY Preamp Controller w/ Remote

What type remote do you prefer to control your preamp?

• Use a dedicated custom remote?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Use the Apple Remote?

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Use an app on my iPhone, iPad or Android?

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Custom plus apps?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Apple plus apps?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LDR3x.V2.1 Preamp Controller & LDR3.V2K Preamp Kit - PreOrder

Ok. We have pulled the trigger on both the latest version of the V2 board, the V2.1....and...we are also announcing the new LDR3.V2K comprehensive passive preamp kit including enclosure.

The $199 pre-order special on the V2.1 runs out on Jan 5th after which the price goes back up to @259
More details on the V2.1 including pre-order purchase are available here: LDR3x.V2.1 Passive Preamp Controller | Tortuga Audio

In case you're looking for a complete kit rather than just the V2.1 board, the new V2K passive preamp kit is also available for pre-order purchase for $695 also until Jan 5th after which it goes up to $795.
More details on the V2K kit including pre-order purchase are available here: LDR3.V2K Passive Preamp Kit | Tortuga Audio

Cheers,
Morten :D

V2.1PCB3D1.jpg

New LDR Preamp Kit & Holiday Specials

Latest update on new products and holiday specials.

New V2.1 Version of our DIY LDR3x Passive Preamp Controller board is available for for pre-order @ $199 through Jan 5th ($259 thereafter).

Reintroducing the LDR3 in both a DIY kit version and also as a finished preamp with upgraded features.
  • Kit Version: LDR3V2K DIY kit including V2.1 board & enclosure for pre-order @ $699 through Jan 5th ($799 thereafter)
  • Finished Preamp Version: LDR3V2 Passive Preamp for pre-order @ $995 through Jan 5th ($1195 thereafter)
Holiday Discount & 2015 Price Increases for LDRx/LDRxB
  • LDRx Passive Preamp @ 10% off current $1495 price through Jan 5th with price increase to $1995 thereafter
  • LDRxB Balanced Passive Preamp @ 10% off current $2395 price through Jan 5 with price increase to $2895 thereafter

This is all discussed in more detail here: New Products, Pricing & Holiday Year End Specials | Tortuga Audio

Initial pics of the LDR3.V2

Early pics of the LDR3.V2 enclosure. These show the silver face before clear anodizing which will even out and tone down the brightness of the aluminum somewhat. While not obvious in the pics, there are dual blue displays behind the dark inlay which are invisible when the unit is off.

$995 pre-order special through Jan 5th. $1195 thereafter.

More info on the LDR3.V2 here: LDR3.V2 Passive Preamp | Tortuga Audio

ldr3v2_front_1.jpg

ldr3v2_front_2.jpg

For balanced operation of the LDR3x V2.1, I guess we need to preorder 2x? Any special cabling between them?

Thanks
Do

Hi Do,

Yes, 2 LDR3x.V2.1 boards are needed for balanced audio attenuation. One serves as the master and the 2nd is designated as the slave. They communicate via a simple 4 wire cable that connects to a 4 pin header on either board. 2 of the those wires carry serial data and the other 2 handle hand-shaking. This cable is provided with each pair of boards and is approximately 7 inches long which if fine if both boards are located next to each other. The boards can also be located remotely from each other in which case I recommend a higher quality shielded 4+ wire cable that you'll need to equip with female square pin connectors on either end. We don't supply such longer cables but it's an easy DIY item to cobble together.

Best,
Morten

Morten,

I assume that detailed instructions on converting the controller board into a functioning preamp module (e.g. hooking up the encoder, connecting the DMI, paring with the remote, initial software set up of the board etc) will be provided to the GB purchaser of the board?

Regards,

Morten,

I assume that detailed instructions on converting the controller board into a functioning preamp module (e.g. hooking up the encoder, connecting the DMI, paring with the remote, initial software set up of the board etc) will be provided to the GB purchaser of the board?

Regards,

Yes indeed. Although it will need to be updated for the V2.1 board, you can review existing documentation on our website here: Product Documentation | Tortuga Audio

Morten,

Ooops! I forgot to ask the "last question" - I am using an Apple remote for something else, can I assume that this remote can also be used with your controller board?

Thanks!

Regards,

Yes, if you have an existing Apple remote it can be paired with the LDR3x board. The Apple remote must be the current silver metal remote, not the older white plastic remote.

However, using one remote to control both the LDR3x and some other device can be problematic since both devices will respond to the remote if they are close enough to each other and both connected to power.

Yes, if you have an existing Apple remote it can be paired with the LDR3x board. The Apple remote must be the current silver metal remote, not the older white plastic remote.

However, using one remote to control both the LDR3x and some other device can be problematic since both devices will respond to the remote if they are close enough to each other and both connected to power.

Morten,

Thank you very much for responding my questions. Much appreciated. Looking forward to try out the new board.

Regards,

Morten,

I was trying to get to your website to place an order for the pre-amp kit but Firefox blocked it, claiming your website is unsafe??? Can you take a look please.

Regards,

Although the website is actually fully operational, google informed us earlier today that the site has been hacked with malware. Hence the warning you saw from the browser. :eek:

We're actively working to have the malware removed and also set up enhanced malware monitoring/protection on the server. It may take a day or two to get this resolved given that it's Christmas Eve. I'll post an update as soon as we have it all cleaned up.

Sorry to the hassle. Will get this fixed soon. :santa3:

Although the website is actually fully operational, google informed us earlier today that the site has been hacked with malware. Hence the warning you saw from the browser. :eek:

We're actively working to have the malware removed and also set up enhanced malware monitoring/protection on the server. It may take a day or two to get this resolved given that it's Christmas Eve. I'll post an update as soon as we have it all cleaned up.

Morten,

Thank you for the clarification. I'll wait.

Happy Holidays :santa:!

Regards,

Website is cleaned up and secured.

Merry Christmas everyone. We've had our website cleaned from top to bottom using the services of securi.net, have changed all the passwords etc., and have stood up an enhanced server firewall on our hosted web server. So we are up and running malware free and fully secured.

Enjoy the holidays! :santa3:
Morten

I read that you had planned to do a software version for 10K input impedance. Is it coming soon ? thks ;)

The release of the V2.1 version of our LDR3x Passive Preamp Controller Board includes firmware that allows the user to adjust the input impedance. There are 5 different input impedance settings that can each be defined by the user between 1k and 99k. Setting #1 comes set at 20k by default.

For example, you could set up 5 input impedance settings at say 5k, 10k 20k, 50k and 90k and switch between them "live" while playing music to determine which sounds optimal for your system.

My own impressions from trying this in our test rig is once the impedance is "high enough", raising it higher doesn't necessarily provide any additional benefits.

All Tortuga Audio LDR preamp products shipped on or after Jan 5th, 2015 include this feature. Owners of the earlier V2 board will soon be able to update their firmware to include this feature as well.

Cheers,
Morten

$199 for LDR3x.V2.1 Preamp Controller Board

If you've been thinking about building your own passive preamp, the $199 Tortuga Audio Passive Preamp Controller is arguably the best value in DIY audio today.

If you haven't listened to music through an LDR preamp you haven't heard your music! Yes, it's that good!

Bunch of hype you say? Check out what our customers are saying: Product Reviews | Tortuga Audio

Our latest version V2.1 of the LDR3x series is our best yet with increased precision auto-calibration of the LDRs for improved sound stage and stereo imaging. The V2.1 also allows you adjust the input impedance between 1k and 99k to optimize your system.

$199 - LDR3x.V2.1 Passive Preamp Controller | Tortuga Audio

Want to go DIY but not interested in sourcing everything yourself? Why not go for a comprehensive kit!

$695 - LDR3.V2K Passive Preamp Kit | Tortuga Audio

ldr3x.v2_800x374.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.