• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Well, I've manage to screw up one channel. I am using single ended outputs from TPA IVYIII directly coupled to VSSA. First I had hum from both channels when connected to DAC but that was cured with proper grounding arangements similar to what Andrej has in his latest amp box. RCAs was not connected and when tried with speakers it was dead silent, no hum, no buz. After connecting with DAC, I've realized that amp was already on when I tried to switch it ON :yikes:. Now on one channel I have 0.5V and rising in the matter of seconds to over 1 volt DC:(. Other channel is perfectly fine. I will check input pair and hope nothing happend to ALFets.

Hypex PSU transformation :D

Panasonic EE and FM capacitors already in place...

Attachments

• hypex.JPG
    hypex.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 776
Input pair is OK. Resistor R19 10ohm smd 2010 in negative rail was the problem. It looks normal but not conductive. It must be stressed out due to capacitor charging (frequent on/off switching for adjusting). I can't find any smd 2010 so I will put 10+10||10+10 1/4w smd.

Very good miksi, do not stop till you make it, I guarantee you won't be dissapointed. :yes:

P.S.: I will build the VSSA anyway in the next month, as I am sure it will be a major step forward, but I need to have a future next project :)

Hi metallicus69

Agree on that, first VSSA and than balanced (bridged) version. I think balanced version comes into consideration only for 8+ Ohm speakers or driving some drivers directly in an active speakers system. Anyway worth to try it, I cannot promise anything, very busy lately. ;)

Since we are in vendors forum I'll go full blast on VSSA marketing and therefore promote new Alu-chassis made especially for VSSA and SMPS400A180 modules in dual mono configuration. Here are some pictures of a second VSSA amplifier assembled, from now on with official commercial name Lakner Oné The most transparent amplifier :D

Few more pics clearly shows how to assemble all pieces together into final product. This one was ordered by local Hi-Fi shop, after heard VSSA demo version they simply cannot forget the VSSA sound signature, which is none. Let me just say that they housed some Clase, Cambridge, Naim and NAD amplification. :yes:

Attachments

• VSSA Case 12.jpg
    VSSA Case 12.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 745
  • VSSA Case 13.jpg
    VSSA Case 13.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 690
  • VSSA Case 14.jpg
    VSSA Case 14.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 641
  • VSSA Case 15.jpg
    VSSA Case 15.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 544
  • VSSA Case 17.jpg
    VSSA Case 17.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 247
  • VSSA Case 16.jpg
    VSSA Case 16.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 252
  • VSSA Case 18.jpg
    VSSA Case 18.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 247
  • VSSA Case 19.jpg
    VSSA Case 19.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 258
  • VSSA Case 20.jpg
    VSSA Case 20.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 297
  • VSSA Case 21.jpg
    VSSA Case 21.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 311
Since we are in vendors forum I'll go full blast on VSSA marketing and therefore promote new Alu-chassis made especially for VSSA and SMPS400A180 modules in dual mono configuration. Here are some pictures of a second VSSA amplifier assembled, from now on with official commercial name Lakner Oné The most transparent amplifier :D

Few more pics clearly shows how to assemble all pieces together into final product. This one was ordered by local Hi-Fi shop, after heard VSSA demo version they simply cannot forget the VSSA sound signature, which is none. Let me just say that they housed some Clase, Cambridge, Naim and NAD amplification. :yes:

very very beautiful - congratulations!

......Let me just say that they housed some Clase, Cambridge, Naim and NAD amplification.......

This is interesting. Great news.
There was another link on a different thread which showed a comparison of a Behringer A-500 amp with a Classe power amp. Both were under wraps ( not visible) and A/B tested by a group of audiophiles. They didn't know what they were listening to but the electronics was called system A and system B.The Behringer came out on top !
So maybe you should now compare it with a Behringer A-500 . Good chance that there would be one around.
Cheers.

... please let us know what is the best panasonic replacement between FC, FM or FR series.
Regards

If I had to choose between these three, I would pick up FC capacitors. FR are actually electrically the same as FM caps, but with longer lifetime. But in our listening test with LC, FM caps sound not that good. From my experiences, FM are nice for SMPS or digital circuit, but for analog, FC is more natural ;)

If I had to choose between these three, I would pick up FC capacitors. FR are actually electrically the same as FM caps, but with longer lifetime. But in our listening test with LC, FM caps sound not that good. From my experiences, FM are nice for SMPS or digital circuit, but for analog, FC is more natural ;)

Thanks for replying.
Is there any subjective difference with Fine Gold ?
I mean, something that we would not call snake oil ?

I can't get it to work. Now the same happened to the other channel, 10ohm 2010 R19 blown, and can't rid of the hum and buzzing. I heard when resistor snaped and saw little flash but visually there is nothing wrong with it. Maybe amp is oscillating but can't check, I don't have scope. Previously on left channel I had problem with R20 and after that R16 cracked. I don't know what to do.
My configuration is simple - DAC TPA Buffalo III and IVY with dedicated power supplies, Amanero combo384 USB receiver, Arduino uno controler with LCD is connected to DAC board with texas instruments I2C iso1540 chip. When DAC was connected to my Yamaha receiver there was no hum, with VSSA everything falls appart.
Inside amp box each VSSA module has its own Hypex power supply. RCA connectors were isolated from the box, earth ground is connected to the box.
Hypex power supplies has +-44V.

...Now the same happened to the other channel, 10ohm 2010 R19 blown, and can't rid of the hum and buzzing. ...
Q: did you test with a series input cap, or just direct coupled? And, do you still have one working channel that you could try with cap at input, and perhaps w. a 1~10R between the input ground lead and the common ground in the box? I don't mean to say to use permanently, but to do a test, one channel only, other channel disconnected from the source at the RCA conn... Isolate the circuit board, & isolate the two channels from each other, b/c it may be easier to find what is happening... I admit this is a bit crude, but something that has helped me in the past.

This is interesting. Great news.
There was another link on a different thread which showed a comparison of a Behringer A-500 amp with a Classe power amp. Both were under wraps ( not visible) and A/B tested by a group of audiophiles. They didn't know what they were listening to but the electronics was called system A and system B.The Behringer came out on top !
So maybe you should now compare it with a Behringer A-500 . Good chance that there would be one around.
Cheers.

I don't know where you where headed with that but those were probably audiophiles want to be... :D

I personally would not want any Behringer gear touch my equipment if my life depended on it... Maybe an amp for my sub in the HT room but not my Hi-Fi gear... :eek:

Ciao!
Do

Miksi, one channel at the time. First connection as per installation instructions via 22 Ohm, than zero offset, VAS bias, output bias (input short circued). Both channels calibration in this way. If OK, stable DC conditions, than we will discuss grounding issue.
I made three VSSA amps in metal cases as a final product, all dead quiet, so no problem for you too. :up: