• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Received my VSSA today. Excellent packing & documentation. Many thanks to LC.

Attachments

• DSC_7450.JPG
    DSC_7450.JPG
    888.7 KB · Views: 715
What I can cleary see:) , soundstage image is much better without 10uF
Electrolytic caps have an internal coil. More the value of the cap is high, higher the parasitic inductance. This means the impedance of the capacitance will reduce as the frequency increase till a point where it will increase. Paralleling capacitance with a lower value one will reduce HF impedance. But you have to take care of the values if you don't want to introduce a resonance circuit with parallels inductances and capacitances. LC was right (as habit) with his values and this choice. A near perfect practicce is to // caps of 1/10 of the values, until you can use film caps with no (or very little) inductance.

A BIG thank you Andrej for how you managed the GB and the packaging, you made my day. Those little boards ale lovely.

Second: can anyone Europe based who's ordering the caps to help me with a set of caps or at least the 2200uf 6.3v ones ? The shipping taxes are way too much to order only those caps.

I can't wait to listed to those little pcb's even if i'm working hard on some other projects.

One channel is singing

Last night I assembled one channel of VSSA and I mounted onto a temporary heatsink (an old hard disk). I set the +ve supply current to 182mA and the heatsink is quite warm at 53C.

I listen to this channel for the whole day, and what can I say - this is the best amplifier that I have listened in my home. I always like the sound signature of Mosfet amplifier and I found that they sound sweet & musical. I have DIY a few MOSFET amplifiers and my old favourite WAS the Sigma from Dr. Bora.
I even make my own version of VSSA v1.4 using thru-hole components & Renesas 2SJ162/K1058 (PCB size = 100 x 90mm).

LC version is just better than all of them - absolute clarity in mid-range & treble plus controlled bass. The PCB is very compact & it can be fitted anywhere and LC has not wasted one mm space on this layout. Many thanks to LC who brings us this little beauty.

With regards to capacitors, I bought my Nichicon FG 1000uF/50V from RS-online:
Buy Aluminium Capacitors UFG1H102MHM Nichicon UFG1H102MHM online from RS for next day delivery.

For 2200uF/6.3V I am using the following Nichicon HE:
Buy Aluminium Capacitors Capacitors,aluminium electrolytic,radial,105degC, 6.3V 2200uF Nichicon UHE0J222MPD online from RS for next day delivery.

The only other source for Nichicon FG is Mouser & they charge A$40 for shipping, which is a bit excessive for a few elco caps.

Attachments

• VSSA-LC Channel-1.JPG
    VSSA-LC Channel-1.JPG
    859.3 KB · Views: 775
  • VSSA-Thru_hole.JPG
    VSSA-Thru_hole.JPG
    907.8 KB · Views: 729
sng001 - first GB member VSSA turn on

I'm waiting for the first GB member to show me working VSSA amp and of course his sound evaluation. :cool:

Who will be the first? :Olympic:
Last night I assembled one channel of VSSA and I mounted onto a temporary heatsink (an old hard disk). I set the +ve supply current to 182mA and the heatsink is quite warm at 53C.

Congratulate sng001, you're the first GB member turning "on" the VSSA amp and make it sing the music. :hug:

I listen to this channel for the whole day, and what can I say - this is the best amplifier that I have listened in my home.
The real deal and joy will start by listening in stereo, until than ensure them good heat release. :cloud9:

What speakers will be connected to? Did you have some troubles calibrating the VSSA according to instructions? Was it a quick procedure? VAS bias current and DC offset OK? Why not Nichicon FG for feedback too?

Regards Lazy Cat :cheers:

Last edited: