Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2017, 08:46 PM   #3461
maxidcx is offline maxidcx  France
diyAudio Member

Hi, just put a CRD device (current source/sink) between rail and base, then a Zener between base and output.
This is the same kind of approach that is used for the AMBlaboratoroies Beta 22 (and 24) where you might have a look
also NPass did some experimentation about this and I remember a PDF somewhere...
cheers
Old 12th August 2017, 10:48 PM   #3462
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxidcx View Post
Hi, just put a CRD device (current source/sink) between rail and base, then a Zener between base and output.
This is the same kind of approach that is used for the AMBlaboratoroies Beta 22 (and 24) where you might have a look
also NPass did some experimentation about this and I remember a PDF somewhere...
cheers
Hi and thanks for the advice. That Beta22 is very interesting, though more complex. The nice thing about the VSSA is contained in his name.

I am fully sold to cascoding.
Next is cascoding all stages and then paralelling output devices with higger PS rails.

All the best,
M.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:12 AM   #3463
maxidcx is offline maxidcx  France
diyAudio Member

yeah managing to linearize all stages is good and the basis, but still do not under estimate the importance of Loopgain (nfb) to get all the residual out, (with high slewrate).
from my side, I m working on Composite amplifier based on CFA+opamp. kind of "alexander amp" this outperform while providing stable bias, controled tempco and very low offset (5mv) without trim.

Just start from Alexander amp, put wilson current miror on each rail, a simple resistor for bias control and a pair of lateral mosfet. then choose a symetrical opamp like LT136x or AD844 and a global feedback loop between output and in- of the op amp.

Last edited by maxidcx; 13th August 2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:37 PM   #3464
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Interesting ideas.Not that I understand everything you comment...

Anyway, more complex topologies tend to "sound" more "analytical" generally, so we want to keep in mind that involving sound reproduction is our goal...I mean, sometimes a more elegant technical solution sounds worse than the simplest, bulkier, uglier, inefficient way...that is why we have to take the time to evaluate each step sound-wise.

Cascoding the outputs makes sense to me because the physically bigger output units have also bigger BC (GD) capacitance...

Je vous souhaite la meilleure des chances.
M.

VSSA Lateral MosFet AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!