• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

They're not the same, here we have CCS supplying input bias current plus ALF mosfet plus special layout, huge differences speaking of SQ. :yes:

Hello

All my respect to your work you done with these amp!
We only can talk about difference (SOUND WISE) between the two when someone do a listening test like A-B test.
Otherwise I agree you took it further the topology, you improved the stability so on and on.
On the other hand on one think I'm a bit sceptical..
Mosfet tend to sound soft specially in bass area (shy). At least that is my experience or some other DIY-ers report the same.
Believe me I built several mosfet and BJT amp the last 2.4 decade or so. Please do not misunderstand I do like the good mosfet sound! Even now I work on a Hitachi mosfet amp project..
Very soon I can test your amp next to mine, I hope I (we) still get the type mosfet U use.
The main reason I go with regular parts and not SMD, I think only it would be fair to compare the two amp if I use the same resisters even do probably someone pick the SMD types over the regular and say those are better because........... but not necessary:confused:..
So soon I will compare the two amp, next to each other..
O course all my credit to you because what you achieved with these topology..;)
And you made it very popular among the DIY-ers..:)

Greetings G

Owen said it did improve slightly at 1A, but at that point it was pure class A and only really capable of pulling 30WPC out of an amp and power supply capable of pretty much matching that performance at nearly 200W... not really a worthwhile trade-off. at 600mA 1khz 2nd harmonic distortion product is -110dB into 8Ω... H3 is ~ -118dB

Last edited:
What is the default bias level of the "original" VSSA?
How many mA?
And still the old question: how can I adjust it???

Optimal output bias current is 160 mA. Other values according to personal taste of the user. ;)

Procedure is simple, first solder 1 k multiturn trimmer potentiometer to R17 pads by the help of 2 cm wire for each trimmer's pin, start with zero ohm setting, trimm bias current to 160 mA, wait for the heatsink to warm up, readjust the trimmer to 160 mA, unsolder the trimmer, measure resistance of the trimmer with digital ohm-meter, use appropriate R17 SMD resistor size 1206 (3216) of the same value as measured, solder the resistor to VSSA PCB. :cool:

Last edited:
VSSA PCB requests

So far 126 VSSA PCB requests received. I'll post the ones from open forum (116 pcs), PM requests (10 pcs) will stay discrete. Next week I will send the info to each of you regarding sets (PCB + semiconductors).

Regards, Andrej :cheers:

Joachim Gerhard 2 PCB set
AKN 2 PCB set
Idefixes 4 PCB set ;)
kimon 2 PCB set
brianco 2 PCB set
Dane 2 PCB set
MKHunt 2 PCB set
Cambe 2 PCB set
Supernet 2 PCB set
boyet0173 2 PCB set
tom42107 2 PCB set