• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

Max, was that the ELV one ?
Yes, that is pretty good and not expensive at all. Good that i could help.
I promised more information about the setup i have at the moment.
I also got my camera back so you can expect some photos.
I listen to vinyl now and in my system i get a bigger and more informative soundstage.
Why that is i can not say. Vinyl is technically inferior to CD in many ways but in my home i prefer vinyl. I have told you before that i do not have much experience with high resolution digital. I have a new Windows 8 machine with Foobar where i plan to investigate that option.

I would like to talk a bit more about the sound i get. As i told you the sound is light and fast but also very natural. Male voices have good chest tone and female voices have excellent resolved silbilance without spit.
The sound is on the light and airy side but also liquid and low in fatique.
The woofer is not inexpensive but so are the Iluminators and Excells of this world.
What is outstanding are the extended bandwidth and the class leading low distortion.
The bandwidth makes alignments possible that you can not do with less extention.
For example low order crossovers like mine or Jeff Bagbys linear phase variant.
When you like paper cones it does not come better. Some may prefer metal, ceramic etc, but that is another story. Sure enough you have to stop them ringing.

Joachim, Your frequency response with the 8 ohm version looks very nice, and your crossover point and slopes are similar to what I arrived at. I like what you've done, I guess we were thinking a lot alike ;-)

I agree, these drivers and their wide low distortion bandwidth allows for simple crossovers with exceptionally flat response and great time domain characteristics. I love listening to my set. I hope to have a write-up on my design posted at Meniscus Audio very soon. I've just got set aside some time to get everything wrapped up.

Thanks Jeff. I did not know much about your work before but i am impressed about what you do too. I am looking forward to your write-up.

I've been doing this stuff for thirty years, but mostly as a DIYer. Then I wrote some design software that seemed to go around the world and got downloaded a few thousand times and then I won a few design contests. The whole thing led to me doing design work for Salksound, Creative Sound Solutions, Meniscus Audio, Parts Express, Morel, Eminence, Denovo Audio, and TC Sounds. So, it's been a lot of fun.

Here's a few speakers I did for Salksound, one of them even got a best of show at RMAF by Absolute Sound a couple years ago:

Pharos High Efficiency - home
Archos Open Baffle - home
Continuum home
HTS - home
SoundScape 12

Here are the design tools I created to work in Excel:
jbagby

But the biggest difference between us is that I am not a professional designer. I see myself as still being mostly a hobbiest, just one who God has given some nice opportunities for work with some great companies, and I am really humbled by all of the fun I am getting to have. In my day job I am a 28 year engineer for an automotive company working in the area of design and manufacturing of automatic transmissions. I am currently involved in the launch of a new eight-speed automatic and consulting on a new nine-speed program that's still in the design stage.

I have always thought very highly of your designs, so I am thrilled that our projects are overlapping on this one. Thanks for the nice comments.

Jeff

There is an interaction between amp, cable and speaker.
What we hear are the lumped parameters. No mystery here.
I prefer low inductance, low resistance loudspeaker cables. Capacitance should be low enough to not upset the amp.
There can be RFI ingress into the cable. A zobel at the loudspeaker end can take care of that.
No, i do not believe in cable sound, still i hear differences in cables, strange ?
I would say no. I can measure small differences in the transfer function.