• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

The front baffle of the DIY version is quite thick so i made the inner hole bigger and rounded the edges of the outer whole for the woofer.
I chamfered and rounded the baffle. I will glue tiles to the top and the sides too.
I put in the reflex tube from the back.

Attachments

• Satori mon bass hole.jpg
    Satori mon bass hole.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 2,218
  • Satori mon glue.jpg
    Satori mon glue.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 2,136
  • Satori mon round.jpg
    Satori mon round.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 2,024
I have now put the drivers into the cabinet. I also smoothed the edge of the tweeter with plumbers putty. This and the rounding and chamfering of the cabinet has a very positive effect on the frequency response of the tweeter.
The reflex minimum sits quite symmetric on 36.5Hz without any wrinkles in the response over 100Hz. That shows that the cabinet walls are stable and there is enough damping material in the cabinet. I used natural sheep wool. 1/2 20 liter package.
I will show measurements soon.

Attachments

• Satmon plum 4.jpg
    Satmon plum 4.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 622
  • Satmon reflex.jpg
    Satmon reflex.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 559
  • Satmon plum 2.jpg
    Satmon plum 2.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 1,868
  • Satmon plum 1.jpg
    Satmon plum 1.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 1,940
I have now put the drivers into the cabinet. I also smoothed the edge of the tweeter with plumbers putty. This and the rounding and chamfering of the cabinet has a very positive effect on the frequency response of the tweeter.
The reflex minimum sits quite symmetric on 36.5Hz without any wrinkles in the response over 100Hz. That shows that the cabinet walls are stable and there is enough damping material in the cabinet. I used natural sheep wool. 1/2 20 liter package.
I will show measurements soon.

Hello, Joachim,

Very interested in your results and I have also been following Jeff's build as well. I am in hopes these drivers will be the ones I may need to end my speaker search with sufficient bass for 2 channel listening! I am not a designer, but love the DIY scene!!!

I have Jeff's Triton speakers and love them, but need one more pair I would like to build and have been looking for some time.

Meniscus will be posting their pricing soon, so I am curious as to the costs of these for comparison.

Thanks for posting your build with the DIY community,

Robert

Here are the measurements i took today. Woofer nearfield, woofer with reflex port nearfield, reflex tuning, tweeter on axis, 15° off axis.

Attachments

• Satori Monitor Prot TT frequenzgang nah.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 457
  • Satori Monitor Prot Nearfield Bass.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 286
  • Satori Monitor Prot TT Reflex Tuning.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Satori Monitor Prot HT 0° 15° putty.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 283
Zaph recently posted measurements for the Satori on his blog.

Satori-MW165DC-08N36-DA00-FR.gif

Satori-MW165DC-08N36-DA00-HD.gif

His results mirror Gornir's, pretty much the best performing driver of it's type with the best motor in the business.

What I like is that the SB standard line represents a world class level of performance when compared to most, yet they actually accomplished the almost impossible by offering a decent step up in performance when going to the Satori. 3rd harmonic products at better than -70dB, that doesn't rise thru the mids is not a trivial achievement, colour me very impressed.

Zaph recently posted measurements for the Satori on his blog.

Satori-MW165DC-08N36-DA00-FR.gif

Satori-MW165DC-08N36-DA00-HD.gif

His results mirror Gornir's, pretty much the best performing driver of it's type with the best motor in the business.

What I like is that the SB standard line represents a world class level of performance when compared to most, yet they actually accomplished the almost impossible by offering a decent step up in performance when going to the Satori. 3rd harmonic products at better than -70dB, that doesn't rise thru the mids is not a trivial achievement, colour me very impressed.

I agree with all of your comments. All SB drivers are simply excellent for the cost, and the Satori is excellent no matter the cost.

Would someone kindly refer to measurement that show dispersion for the Satori 6" ? Since i belive that it's important to takes this into consideration, when matching it up with a tweeter.

In that regard is it pretty much like any other driver with the same diaphragm diameter. You still need to cross low to achieve good off axis curves around the xover frequency, or mate it with a suitable wave-guide, crossed higher, for a decent directivity match.

In that regard is it pretty much like any other driver with the same diaphragm diameter. You still need to cross low to achieve good off axis curves around the xover frequency, or mate it with a suitable wave-guide, crossed higher, for a decent directivity match.

Thank you :) Better wait for the 5" version then :D

how do you measure distortion - is it something that "normal" people can do with not to expensive equipment? It would like to measure my own speakers, to find out if I can fiddle with the filter to gain less distortion - and test how choice of xover-freq changes distortion from a given driver arrangement.
Note: using active filters, so changes are very easy ;)

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you use holm impulse to do measurements, choose the swept sine type of measurement and you will have a distortion tick box that you can tick to show the distortion on the measurements display. You can only show one harmonic at a time though.

Tony.

Wow, the 6.5" Satori is a impressive driver , once again proved by Zaph.

I use Holm Impulse. Phonic AM120MKII mixer with +48v phantom (same Behringer UB502), Asus Xonar DG (cheap but very good!) and as mentioned above a Behringer EMC8000. Works excellent for distorsion/freq-measurements!

Been using other programs but coming back to Holm everytime!