• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

Thx for interesting thread!

Have SB drivers now (SB17 and SB29RDC) and i think it's the best sound I've heard in my livingroom in many years. Thinking incredible value.

Sorry, but never again gonna spend thousands on Seas Excel or Scan-Speak when i can get this kind of sound for almost nothing compared the above mentioned brands :cool:

But, after seeing Joachims measurements on The Satoris I think if I would choose to spend more it would be on the Satoris, without a doubt!

How is it going with the project? Are the Satoris up n playing (burning in)? :)

By the way, do you have any other project with the other SB-drivers you've got?

One idea I can throw out there is if people think the Satori 6" midwoofer is to expensive (the new satori tweeter isn't to bad, I.T wants 120e/p) it could maybe be possible to use a SB17 instead with of course a different x-over.

A couple of different versions of this monitor (as said before) could be nice. Not only x-over and box but maybe also the the most expensive part (atleast for some) , the midwoofer.

It doesn't seem like it could be worth that price when compared to other drivers such as the ScanSpeak "Discovery" line, Vifa's recent products, Peerless HDS Nomex, some of the Seas drivers, or the older ScanSpeak Revelator woofers?

I have seen problems with SB's quality control (aren't they the same company that produces the Sinar Baja Soft Dome Tweeters that Madisound used to sell?). Last time my friend bought a box of 50 SB tweeters to try out over 25% of them were unusable due to poor quality construction.

wonder how these SB-drivers fare against Motus Audio.

Motus Audio

https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?...eau1=1&niveau2=1&niveau3=5&s1=2&s2=1&s3=2&s4=

Also regarding the stpped baffle and Guru. The designer claims that the straight edge is preferrable to other more "exotic" forms. It all has to do with how the sound is projected towards the listener.

For those who are interested you can check the forum www.faktiskt.se , hes been quite active there for some time.
If worried about the language use an appropriate translator if you dont speak swedish. Thats what James Croft of Croft Acoustical did to everyones surprise.
As a start ´we´ have some "best of" threads here http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4002

The drivers i have certainly are made very well. Building quality is very high and they measure very good.
I saw the Guru speakers at Klangbilder in Vienna.
The straight edge may work because the tweeter has a waveguide.
Yes, i am waiting for cabinets from SB but i will also make some hand samples that are simplified. I simply was too busy, 3 shows in 4 Weeks.
I have no experience with Motus drivers. I see them here for the first time.

I've looked at the Motus drivers for some time now and they seem nicely built.

The tweeter is tested in the current issue of the Voice Coil Magazine (December 2012). I haven't read it in detail yet, but it has a somewhat odd frequency response with a 5dB peak between 2.5-3kHz.

Could be the measurement conditions. Have to read it more thoroughly.

Regards

/Göran

wonder how these SB-drivers fare against Motus Audio.

Motus Audio

https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?...eau1=1&niveau2=1&niveau3=5&s1=2&s2=1&s3=2&s4=

Also regarding the stpped baffle and Guru. The designer claims that the straight edge is preferrable to other more "exotic" forms. It all has to do with how the sound is projected towards the listener.

For those who are interested you can check the forum www.faktiskt.se , hes been quite active there for some time.
If worried about the language use an appropriate translator if you dont speak swedish. Thats what James Croft of Croft Acoustical did to everyones surprise.
As a start ´we´ have some "best of" threads here http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4002

The drivers i have certainly are made very well. Building quality is very high and they measure very good.
I saw the Guru speakers at Klangbilder in Vienna.
The straight edge may work because the tweeter has a waveguide.
Yes, i am waiting for cabinets from SB but i will also make some hand samples that are simplified. I simply was too busy, 3 shows in 4 Weeks.
I have no experience with Motus drivers. I see them here for the first time.

The designer for Guru (Ingvar Öhman) doesnt believe in easy answers and he designs loudspekers with all parts harmonizing together. The drivers are custom built with custom materials, glues etc all after his head. So theres probably more than one reason for him having a straight step. Although he have advised on other occasions that a straight shelf is better. Something to do with how the sound is projected. Hes all about psychoacoustics, having spent most of his life researching the field. Actually the original speaker pi60 (that the qm60 is a variant of) was developed as an psychoacoustically neutral monitor for the research.

Regarding the Satori I became very interested when I first heard of the SCAR-drivers. With the long wait they seem to have changed some aspects. It sure seems like a nice driver, and compared to Scan-Speak Illuminator they are cheap (!). I wonder how they hold up against Illuminator and Vifa NE drivers.
Its a pity the response could be made more flat. Id glady sacrifise some of the high extension for a flatter curve. It is nice though that they dont have any sharp peaks in the 5-7kHz area.
A driver with the satori motor and a cone similar to Raidho ceramic cone would be nice if it could be had for the same price. A special mix composite cone could also be interesting, but i guess it against their "policy" of high QMS

The Motus drivers are quite new. think I first saw an ad on them in last month Voice Coil.
As gornir says, this month issue had a tweeter for review. Seems to be good quality products. The price is pretty low for a underhung driver with controlled response.

My latest build is using the Wavecor wf182bd04 wich also are very nice and affordable. Id rate them a bit higher than SB normal range and even on par with SS Revelator. They to, however, suffer from an uneven breakup. I think a sharp peak higher in frequency might be easier to handle than an uneven breakup with several peaks in the 4-5kHz area.

WF182BD03_04

Arent Audio Physic using wavecor drivers to some extent?

Anyway this might be going off-topic.
I look forward to see the result of your project.

as for the design Iwe always had a thing for Sonus Faber Extrema.

file.php

Also Id favor a design that allows for placement ner the wall.

I am building the DIY version of the cabinets for the Satori Monitors. In the meantime the professionally made cabinets are build by SB. We still have not decided if we will offer this cabinets ready made or as a flat pack.
Anyway, here i show you how to build cabinets for the Satori Monitor with minimum effort.
We decided before on a Guru clone for the shape of the cabinet.
I am building it in 19mm chipboard. That is cheap and easy to work with. Some say that it also sounds better then MDF. I think it is not worse.
The dimensions are a bit unusual but not unattractive. They are 30cm wide, 40cm high and 22,5cm deep. There is also a 32mm thick baffle made from 2 x 16mm chipboard
to time align the drivers. I will round the edges and will look if the sharp edge from the woofer baffle to the tweeter has any bad effect. The wider then usual baffle has the advantage that the baffle step is not that pronounced so we win some efficiency in the fundamental tone area. The tweeter on the wider baffle will push the edge reflexion to lower frequencies. Would be ideal if i can place the crossover point in such a way that the edge reflexion suck out is in the region where the crossover already rolls off the tweeter. The front baffle is mechanically quite stable because of the extra baffle for time alignment. That way 2/3rd of the baffle is 51mm think. The side and top walls are not very deep, that also helps to make them stiffer then usual. The biggest unbraced wall is now the back wall so i decided to glue on a ceramic tile.

Attachments

• smsb 1.jpg
    smsb 1.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 1,885
  • smsb2.jpg
    smsb2.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • smab3.jpg
    smab3.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 1,784
  • smsb4.jpg
    smsb4.jpg