• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

1Khz wooden horns for sale, interest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to establish if there is an interest for turned wooden horns.

Im near completing my first turned LeCleach 1.2khz solid Oak for a pair of BMS compression drivers. These come in at just under 135mmx70mm

I will of course post pics once its finished, would like to hear any thoughts.

I estimate a pair of good hardwood, oak, ash, beech etc, to cost around £100.

Bigger ones are planned...all should be up and running before the end of 2012.

Louis

Apologies, didn't see any replies.

The first pair will be finished this month, pictures to follow.

These would be made to order, so can be entirely bespoke from the outset.

The spheres are from Ikea, I proudly cheated with those, they are the Blanda wooden bowls. If I can work out an easy and cost effective way to produce them I will.

At the moment the horns are all made from solid "wood turning blanks" there is an awful lot of waste in producing a 4" horn, would be almost impossible to produce a much larger one from a single block of wood. But with laminating as ikea do, is possible.

Mine are made from oak, as I had two matching 'blanks' but almost every timber can be sourced, and any horn profile carved, will just need some more templates to follow.

I'll post a pic of the progress so far, to rouse some interest.

Shipping for these small ones, shouldn't be any more than £15

Thanks for looking

Louis

First one finished.

Sorry if the pictures are massive. Iphones & Dropbox don't seem to work that well together.

These are 1.2khz Le Cleac'h hand turned oak horns. With a APT (celestial) super tweeter resting inside.

I still need to resolve the bolt on/screw on housing and plug them
In for a listen. Hopefully will find time tonight.

I have a matched piece of oak to finish the pair and some nice other blanks to try out a larger size.

Attachments

• _MkIrQ01eknkys7w-UgBsqI7jTz3hvSgxZj2AL0GRhw.jpeg
    _MkIrQ01eknkys7w-UgBsqI7jTz3hvSgxZj2AL0GRhw.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 539
  • Tu8BJecq6wv7AWzcF55AGvRFIyx3FGoC-ouM1omNTl4.jpeg
    Tu8BJecq6wv7AWzcF55AGvRFIyx3FGoC-ouM1omNTl4.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 531
  • eMSx3nC5RbTyjokoRG4IaWILO0YUoL3XGAg3xW1zgD0.jpeg
    eMSx3nC5RbTyjokoRG4IaWILO0YUoL3XGAg3xW1zgD0.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 520
Hi Leif. These are for 1" Drivers, but currently will be made to order, so can be tailored with custom horn entry size or even custom horn profiles.

My new lather arrived this week, I should be finally able to finish the pair, and perhaps try some larger ones.

Next on the list to to try segmented turning, allowing me to make really big horns, for 4" full range drivers or bigger...

update*

I have a batch of woodturning blanks on order. I should hopefully have them within the next few days, and will allow me to find some nice pairs, and purchase more if needed. I have sent emails to those who have pm'd me.

I anyone would like more info please pm me and we can discuss via email.

Louis

update*

I have a batch of woodturning blanks on order. I should hopefully have them within the next few days, and will allow me to find some nice pairs, and purchase more if needed. I have sent emails to those who have pm'd me.

I anyone would like more info please pm me and we can discuss via email.

Louis

Update*

The fist pair are as we speak in transit to their new homes in Norway.

They are made from American Black Walnut, for a TAD 2001;
1.6Khz JMLC full rollback, for 1" compression driver.

Signed for shipping came in at £12.50 from UK - Norway

Looking forward to seeeing some measurements, and how they compare to the Autotech horns.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.