• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

1Khz wooden horns for sale, interest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just drawn out full size the largest JMLC horn I can turn between centres, it comes in at 450Hz cut off. The headstock on my lathe can turn which enables me to turn as big as it physically possible, but I will start between centres and see how that goes...

2" driver it seems relatively small in length at 135mm x 175mm radius. Looking forward to getting some wood cut up and glued together to try it out.

Now only need a 2" driver to test it with. Any suggestions for a driver that can hit 500Hz and isn't going to break the bank (TAD 4001)

these would be fun to try and build...

7072.jpg

Pavilion Iw-220, it still works ... - Blog audiobricolos

Hi Esperado,

These are currently made to order.

And can take whatever shape, profile or means of mounting you desire.

I'm looking into making a pair for bookshelf 2 way system. Similar to Amphion, Genelec, Zingali. With the horn and baffle from one piece.

If you are interested pm me and we can draw up some diagrams.

Interesting work.
I have gone from DIY 12 sided conicals in scandi birch ply, adding rounded mouth termination to tractrix for my 5 way project.
I am currently using Cube audio 600 Hz Tractrix on either JBL2435Be or Vitavox S2 drivers for my upper mid horns.

I would be interested in trying a JMLC profile in as soft a wood as possible. 550Hz or 600Hz 1.5" throat.
Perhaps balsa is too soft though:)
Throat is critical of course.
The S2's use a screw on adapter that I have made and fits the JBL (and others) 4 bolt PCD. Simple to drill and insert threaded bar int he horn base.

Other needs would be 200Hz tractrix horns in wood to replace the Autotech GRP ones I have, but at ~65cm dia these are too big for most lathes. Then there are the bass hyperbolics I have just lashed up - much too big.

JMLC just get too big for lower freqs in a 4 or 5 way config...

Last edited:
Hi Speedy Steve,

May I ask why you request as 'soft a wood as possible'?

Everything I make so far is bespoke and made to order.

I dreaming of buying or making a Union Graduate bowl turning lathe, with almost infinite turning capability.

My 'Hobby' Lathe tops out around 380mm Diameter over the bed, by 1.1m.
If I could make a stand to support the weight off the bed then much bigger things can be turned, provided the motor is up to it.

Some experiments need to happen...

I am drawing up some plans for a client for a 600Hz Traxtric which will be made from European Oak.

Keep in touch.

Louis

Soft as I want to try something different to the GRP - a well damped wood.

The Cube audio and Autotech horns are surprisingly solid in their construction but probably give a signature to the sound - hence trying different materials. Of course unless the exact same dims and profile is used I will never know...

I have a lathe that can swing 8" so could make Audio cube tractrix -likes at 7 & 5/8" to see. The actual horn length is 3 & 1/2".

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-tapped-bass-mids-tweeter-big-boy-system.html

1st page for the starting point and evolution then the pics got lost on the rest of the journey until more recently where it is now see pages 10

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ds-tweeter-big-boy-system-11.html#post3145008

and current

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ds-tweeter-big-boy-system-16.html#post3346950

Constantly evolving and usually improving:)

@ Speedy Steve
I do have some pine blanks, 2 small and 2 large, that I see no other use for...

What is your current set up, always nice to know.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.