• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Hi all
I have Amanero Combo problems.
I´m connecting Amanero to AK4490 Diyinhk dac board. AK4490 is running parallel mode - but i also tried serial/sotware. But no sound.
I have connected MCLK, FSCLK, BCLK, DATA, GND to MCK, LRCK, BCK, DATA, GND. Very short wires. But as i said, no music.

Please help.......

I have tried to flash the Amanero - no change/no music.

I have a xmos diyinhk board 768 isolator - which works ok with x86/laptop - but is very unstable with RPI/Volumio. And I need/prefer the Amanero sound / Volumio solution.

I'm considering a very small "production" of integrated system with RPI + usb + dac + tube output stage.
I dont use the opamp part of the dac board.

Best regards

Last edited:
Hi themystical,
the Amanero works perfectly with the AK4497.
I manufacture a DAC with that combination & have no problems.
GIESELER Gross DAC official release - Gieseler Audio - StereoNET
I would first check with a scope the four I2s lines actually at the AK4497 end - there should be data on all four. Measuring point would be the 4 x 33 ohm resistors.
Then check all voltages to the chip.
Good luck
Cheers clay

Hi themystical,
the Amanero works perfectly with the AK4497.
I manufacture a DAC with that combination & have no problems.
GIESELER Gross DAC official release - Gieseler Audio - StereoNET
I would first check with a scope the four I2s lines actually at the AK4497 end - there should be data on all four. Measuring point would be the 4 x 33 ohm resistors.
Then check all voltages to the chip.
Good luck
Cheers clay

Thanks for that confirmation Clay. The 33 Ohm resistors are termination resistors that you have used at the AK4497 end? There are no termination resistors in any of the boards that I have tried. I don't have a scope so I am a bit stuck but I measure voltages on the Amanero outputs and the AK4490 works well so I assume The Amanero is ok. I read somewhere that termination resistors should be on the source side?

Thanks for the positive comments on my new DAC. It has been a lot of work but I am now very happy with the result.
OK the 33 ohm resistors - I don’t have a schematic of your board but I’m certain that those resistors are inline (series) with the I2S inputs on the AK4497 chip. That is the normal arrangement that is commonly used & how I do it.
From the Amanero pins 3, 4, 5 & 6 need to go to pins 4, 3, 5 & 61 on the AK4497 chip
Double check you have that correct.
Amanero pin out info here
http://www.tec-sol.com/products/elec/amanero/combo384-D_ts.pdf
Let me know how you go.
Regards
Clay

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@themystical:

I read somewhere that termination resistors should be on the source side?
... now I am not trying to speak on behalf of Domenico from Amanero, but usually these series resistors in digital transmission are there a.o.ts to make sure that there is no reflection/ringing on the digital signal.

If one looks at a digital transmission (square waves potentially with very HF content) with a suitable band-width scope and tries various resistor values the rising flanks of the square wave may either end with ripples on the top of the square, "perfect damping", or too much damping where the top of the square wave is rounded. The balance - to my understanding - is to choose exactly the resistor value that gives the lowest rise time while giving "perfect damping".

Also, placing these resistors as close as practically possible to the transmitting end means that the transmitting IC may be (much) less loaded by the trace capacitances in the PCB traces. This might sound a bit as if it does not matter that much but even a few pF trace capacitance may cause several mAs of extra load on the transmitting IC when the frequencies get high enough. Which again means noise transferred back into the PSU, ground bounce phenomena, etc. Noise that may be difficult to remove again.

On the other hand if the resistor is mainly placed at the receiving end the transmitting IC will have to "work" with the capacitances of the whole trace - and the resistor at the receiving end will mainly cause HF cut-off since it "looks into" the input capacitance of the receiving IC (as I've seen it it often is 4 - 10 pFs).

Any trace on a PCB has a characteristic impedance defined by trace capacitance & inductance. I have seen mentioned in soekris' R2R DAC thread that the shift registers he uses have an output resistance/impedance of around 13 ohms. Thus, if these shift registers were used for digital transmission, to arrive at 50 ohms the transmitting resistor ideally should be 37 ohms. Please note though that to prevent reflections/ringing also the trace impedance on the amanero board AND the receiving board would have to be ~50 ohms.

The Amanero - as I think you mention - uses 33 ohms resistors. This may work if the receiving trace impedance is also around 46 - 50 ohms.

I hope this is somewhat clear ... If you/someone here is interested in actually calculating the trace impedances I find this free calculator to be really helpful (conductor impedance tap):

Saturn PCB Toolkit - Saturn PCB Design (courtesy marce).

Regarding your issues with making the AK4497 work are you sure that the settings of the AK4497 are correct? I.e. if you use HW settings - or if you use software settings - that they are actually correct & passed on to the AK4497?

You don't have any access to a suitable bandwidth oscilloscope (probably should be at least 50 MHz)?

Good luck in solving the issue ;)

Jesper

Hello, I have a card amanero combo384
I would like to make it work on a vortexbox with a dsc r2r dsc1
the interface amanero is well recognized and declared in hw: 0.0 in the player alsa, but the sound is saturated ??
can someone help me?
I tried the firmware 2003be and 1099c
(against the interface and the dac works well with foobar, but I would like to use it on vortexbox)
regards

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of help.

I have an Amanero board but it is not recognised by any of my Win 10 PCs; when I plug it in I get the system sound for a new device plugged in but the Amanero board doesn't appear in device manager. I have tried different driver versions but that makes no difference. I think the problem is with the Amanero not identifying itself correctly when it is plugged in.

On an old XP laptop the Amanero isn't recognised but appears in Device Manager as an unknown device but I can't get beyond that.

Thinking it might be a firmware issue I tried using Config Tool (on Win 10 PC) to refresh the firmware; the flash progress bar starts but Config Tool crashes out before the reflash finishes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ray

Hey guys better ask Domenico you can contact him at his email
Good luck & greetings
Felipe

Hi Felipe trust you're well and thanks for the information; I'll send him a message a bit later.

It was probably not a good idea to have posted his mail address though as it'll get captured by the bad guys, suggest you PM people with such information.

Ray

amanero i2c

Hello. Has anyone tried in Amanero to enter I2C commands through OEMTOOL?
az95WC9L64zRR8APbP20r5KfWwZjT8u+gCAQNAHAASCPgAgEPQBAIGgDwAIBH0AQCDoAwACQR8AEAj6AIBA0AcABLLQBwsLC0vA8n+OTV9iePvhLQAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Hi all. I'm looking for a bit of help.

I have an Amanero board but it is not recognised by any of my Win 10 PCs; when I plug it in I get the system sound for a new device plugged in but the Amanero board doesn't appear in device manager. I have tried different driver versions but that makes no difference. I think the problem is with the Amanero not identifying itself correctly when it is plugged in.

On an old XP laptop the Amanero isn't recognised but appears in Device Manager as an unknown device but I can't get beyond that.

Thinking it might be a firmware issue I tried using Config Tool (on Win 10 PC) to refresh the firmware; the flash progress bar starts but Config Tool crashes out before the reflash finishes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ray
Hi Ray , I am having exactly the same problem so please let me know what Dom has to say.
I was able to get the Amanero board to appear in the device manager and sound applet in win10 by installing it as legacy hardware but don't get any sound from it.
Cheers, Gordon

Hi Ray , I am having exactly the same problem so please let me know what Dom has to say.
I was able to get the Amanero board to appear in the device manager and sound applet in win10 by installing it as legacy hardware but don't get any sound from it.
Cheers, Gordon

It didn't get fixed Gordon. I had purchased the Amanero on 'Swap Meet' so I returned it and bought a new one, which has worked perfectly.