• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi again ...

Thanks for helping out once more ;)

BTW .. to my knowledge a Japanese person/small company (maybe electrart?) makes a DSD principle board that is also available in a 512*fs besides the 256*fs version.

But anyway - my playback chain is not yet at this point - just needed to make sure the amanero board could accommodate both sampling frequencies.

Thanks again ;)

Jesper

Amanero singing with Salas BIB

Hi, Thanks to Merlin El Mago, who managed to do similar upgrade, I have made this trick, using Salas 1.1 BIB at 5V output. The already good skills of amanero board were elevated to a new level. Finally, I ended up of using just a 3,3V, which is connected to the 3,3 V outlet on the board (near to the I2S outputs). Also an advantage, that the quality of USB cable is less sensitive, because there is no 5V running on it. I have to say, this setup easily rivals the best CD transports. Congratulations to AMANERO and many thanks to MERLIN as well. János

I was planning on bringing a permanent 5v power supply to the Amanero as per the image below, basically solder it on to either side of C27 & cut the trace leading to the USB power in.
Can anyone see any issues with doing it this way?

Last edited:
Hi Mr. Amanero,
I'm participant of Quanghao/Andrea DAC ES9018. I've been told that as participant of their groupbuy, we can get discount to buy Amanero USB board.
I've sent email in May to sales@amanero.com and get Paypal notofication to pay, but before I can pay the notification is expired. I've sent another email in August, but no reply. Please tell me what to do to get the discount.

Thank you,
rachmanto

Note: your PM box is full

Can I limit the device support 24bits due to my DAC support it but not 32bits? It could cause problem in Linux.

----------------------------
ubuntu@ubuntu-armhf:~$ cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0
Amanero Technologies Combo384 Amanero at usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
Interface 2
Altset 1
Format: S32_LE <<<< support 32bits only
Channels: 2
Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
Data packet interval: 125 us

Last edited:
Hi,

my card works very well with Windows but I have some problems with a Linux configuration (and a beaglebone card).

Here's the problem log (i think) on an arm ubuntu 13.04 :
ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:1303 usb_audio: [10] FU [Combo384 Amanero Playback Volume] ch = 2, val = -32767/0/1ALSA sound/usb/mixer.c:1299 usb_audio: Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=32767), cval->res is probably wrong.

The output is louder than windows and noisy (it's like a crappy vinyl record :) ).

May someone please tell me if a arm linux distribution or a kernel version works better ? (or something to pay attention to )

Thanks.

Same here:

Code:
[   98.018382] usb 3-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
[   98.107803] usb_audio: Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=32767), cval->res is probably wrong.
[   98.107807] usb_audio: [10] FU [Combo384 Amanero Playback Volume] ch = 2, val = -32767/0/1
[   98.108959] usb_audio: Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=32767), cval->res is probably wrong.
[   98.108961] usb_audio: [10] FU [Combo384 Amanero Playback Volume] ch = 1, val = -32767/0/1

I'm using Linux too. Amanero board has detected but produces this error log and volume control is useless. I'm using latest 3.11 kernel with Arch linux..

@amanero
Do you have tested latest revisions on linux so far?

Hello,

I'm trying to power up the amanero board using external 5V regulated & linear PSU.
For that I make a custom USB (A-B) cable but unfortunatel the amanero module is not reconigized with this custom cable (DATA + and - from the raspberry pi and GND and 5v from the linear PSU)

Is there is one of you how manage to power the amanero bord NOT from 5V USB ??

Thanks

F

have you kept the GND refference also from the PC or just from the 5V linear PSU?
you must keep also the PC GND because D +/- is not recognized otherwise ... and keeping the (poluted) PC GND gives you NO benefit even if you use linear PSU

better install a ADuM USB isolator before the amanero (with 24/96khz limit) or if you want no sampling rate limit an I2S isolator after the amanero and that one (the isolated half) can be powered with great benefit from the linear PSU

Hello luxury54,

The Amanero is connected to a raspberry pi.

I've tried different options:
GND from the the pi and GND from the linear PSU and in both cases the amanero is not recognized :-(

I tried with a "custom USB cable" and with a commercial cable where "I cut" the 5V and the GND.

ps: by using a standard commercial cable works perfectly (i.e. the amanero is powered from the USB of the pi)

I have the feeling that the problem may come from my linear PSU but if I check the voltages:

from the pi : 4.8 VDC
from the linear PSU : 5.0 VDC

... can't believe the difference of 0.2 V is causing the issue

My linear PSU
4 17UV Ultralow Noise DAC Power Supply Regulator 3 3V 5 5V 1AX4 | eBay
(source raspyfi : The best Raspberry Pi power supply - RaspyFi)

My setup (the picture is with a custom USB-AB cable for connecting the amanero and the legend is in french) but it's self speaking I guess:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t05vh21h81l9f2q/Untitled.png

I would think that, somehow, the linear PSU is causing the problem but honestly I have no idea where and where I could investigate

Francis

Which source?

Hi, Thanks to Merlin El Mago, who managed to do similar upgrade, I have made this trick, using Salas 1.1 BIB at 5V output. The already good skills of amanero board were elevated to a new level. Finally, I ended up of using just a 3,3V, which is connected to the 3,3 V outlet on the board (near to the I2S outputs). Also an advantage, that the quality of USB cable is less sensitive, because there is no 5V running on it. I have to say, this setup easily rivals the best CD transports. Congratulations to AMANERO and many thanks to MERLIN as well. János

Janos, what are you using as source? PC, Mac, Squeezebox, other? Which player? Foobar, Audirvana, other?

Sebastian