• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Hi to all and Amanero!
I've read first and last 5 pages from this thread.
Sorry, but i don't have a lot of time for my audio needs lately.
I'm in for one board, but i must ask about native DSD support with various DAC implementations.
ES9018 is out of my reach for time being, so what about AK4399, AD1955, CS4398, WM8741...
First hand experiences?!?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi All,

Listened for the first time to my new DAC (DSD1794) with the amanero board (with no modications) Friday and from my first impressions it's got a very fine sound and works quite easily. So a sincere thanks to Domenico for making this possible :)

I look forward to listening and experimenting more in the days to come...

Best wishes for your day,

Jesper

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@chicco_36: You might also consider the DSD1794 from TI which allows for up to DSD256 or PCM384 kHz (with an external digital filter) according to Bunpei (haven't yet had the time to test it myself). But it requires you to be able to program some registers so as to use the DSD feature.

This might, however, be possible via the Amanero board just haven't looked into it yet.

Based on my previous searches one of the AK or WM better DACs are the only ones that allow for both PCM and DSD playback (64*fs) using hardware (pin level) settings. The CS DAC also requires programming registers. But I didn't check all DACs in the market so there may be others ...

For a not-too-time-consuming solution you might find this interesting:

Opus - A Balanced DAC

Best regards,

Jesper

Last edited:
TNT, gentlevoice, thanks for your replies.

“Native DSD = no conversion to PCM before the "D/A" process. I don't think any of these chips qualify to that definition but I'm sure my guess will be turned into knowledge by fellow forumists.” - TNT

Actually, a lot of modern DAC’s have direct DSD input, the real question is how we unknowledgeable audiophiles can use them (preferably in some simple hardware mode)...

gentlevoice, i see you have DSD1794. Great DAC, but from block diagram of his datasheet i don’t think it’s easy to implement DSD input. At least not without some software programing or some external switcher i guess.

For example AK4399 have same input pins for PCM and DSD so implementation “must be” easier. :)

Thanks for the link about Opus DAC, some first hand experience from someone who actually pair it with amanero board will be more than useful !

Thanks for your patience,
Chicco

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@Marek & Jackal29a:

I really would like to try if it works but I can't find a "translator" on the internet that can translate the register values of the DSD1794 to the values used on the combo384 - and although I probably heard about this during my engineering studies I don't remember about it (have worked with different areas). One of you know how I can translate register values to the ?? values used on the combo384?

Maybe there's an internet translator?

@chicco:

gentlevoice, i see you have DSD1794. Great DAC, but from block diagram of his datasheet i don’t think it’s easy to implement DSD input. At least not without some software programing or some external switcher i guess.

No, that's right ... I actually hope one of the modes will prove to be more to my liking so I don't have to switch in practice ...

Ciao ;-)

Jesper

You can get the register values from the graphic tool TI provides to control the PCM/DSD1792a evaluation board (same registers and values as the DSD1794).

This is the PCM1792a page: Audio Converter - Audio DAC - PCM1792A - TI.com

Scroll down to the bottom and look for "Software & Development Tools (1)" or get it from this link: http://www.ti.com/litv/zip/slac244

To check what registers you need to modify get the DSD1794 data sheet, you'll also find the address value.

Once you have the tool, extract the content ot a folder, run the .exe and in the window that pops up got to "Window (W)" and select "Operational Control (O)" and "Function Control (F)" then you'll get something like this:

DSD1792aTool_zpsbfc7dd75.jpg

Then you can play with settings and see how the final value for each register changes. The value is in the hexadecimal format the Combo firmware tool wants.

All three fields (address, register and value) have to be written in hex.:

fimwaretooli2c110a_zps8754c6d1.jpg

I don't have a software mode capable DAC so I haven't been able to play with this but I'm sure Domenico will help if asked about this. It'll also be nice if anyone with experience in programming a uC for BB DACs could comment on how to pass the complete "sentence" to the chip.

hello thank you for the GB4, i hope to ship all during this week, i got some delay with shipments because i was away from Pisa.

I just uploaded a firmware version 1.072 with I2C speed at 100Khz.
Please use this maintenance tool http://www.amanero.com/oemtool111a.zip

The OnMute event is enabled and the OnVolumeChange too.

About the OnVolumeChange insert address [0x49], register [0x0], and the number of sequential registers to modify with a volume value between 0 - 127 for example 8.

Thank you!
Domenico

Last edited: