• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Hi,
I would like to adress a question to the old users who already purchased this device in the past and are able to give me an answer based on their experience :
Does this board output bitperfect data? I mean is it upsampled or modified in any ways using different algoritms perhaps?
My other question is what standard is the I2S stream that it outputs? is it compatible with the old philips I2S format or is it the newer Sony I2S format?
I am asking all these because I would need it mostly for a NOS TDA1541A DAC that accepts only 16 bits, 44khz so I would have no need of 24 or 32 bits, but I would need it to be bitperfect on 16 bits only - if it outputs 24 bits that means TDA DAC chip would receive the signal already truncated? Is there anyone using this DAC with this setup so can give me a clear confirmation?

Many thanks in advance!

searching a bit on this thread I found myself the answer for the question I rised, coming from Owen in this posting

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-41.html#post3182236

"I also tried and failed to get bit-perfect operation under WASAPI and Win 7 the other day. Using the Audio Precision Bittest, direct I2S out to the AP, and connected to a Windows 7 PC using J River there doesn't seem to be any way to get bit-perfect reproduction.

Every other USB card I have tried with ASIO drivers (Musiland, XMOS, exaU2I) worked perfectly in this setup with an error rate of 0 even after several hours of running."

well for many it has been fixed, so I think its more likely down to either your particular computer setup, or your dac connections

if you read the last 10 pages, as well as glt's blog (hifiduino) you will see the issue discussed at length, you are far from the only 2 who have come across the problem, perhaps just the only 2 not to have read about the solution or realized it has been mentioned many times

edit: as seen below it seems I too spoke too soon, its fixed me and many others, guess it must be a conflict somewhere for some people.

Last edited:
Hello, i m sorry for the incovenience but there was a reset problem between the windows driver and the combo384 firmware.

In the 1.55 firmware there was a fix to accept a reset command from the driver but this command was ignored during DSD/PCM switch.

Now i uploaded a firmware 1.56 that fixes the reset command sent by the windows driver during DSD/PCM switch.

Let me know if it's all ok.

Thanks,
Domenico

well for many it has been fixed, so I think its more likely down to either your particular computer setup, or your dac connections

if you read the last 10 pages, as well as glt's blog (hifiduino) you will see the issue discussed at length, you are far from the only 2 who have come across the problem, perhaps just the only 2 not to have read about the solution or realized it has been mentioned many times

edit: as seen below it seems I too spoke too soon, its fixed me and many others, guess it must be a conflict somewhere for some people.

Yep! that was excactly the case! no worries though, better to speak soon than never speak at all.

I checked my old notes that the version of the firmware I have installed is

1.02 RevC3. Seems to work fine with the latest 1.056 driver. I'll wait a few days until people are happy before updating the firmware. :)

On a separate note, how many people have tried playing 352/384K?

I cannot get a signal lock on this sample rate (complete silence) and I thought it could be the reclocking circuit I installed. However, there are other reports of not being able to play 352/384K with Buffalo III DAC.

Can you share your setup?

Thanks in advance...

I checked my old notes that the version of the firmware I have installed is

1.02 RevC3. Seems to work fine with the latest 1.056 driver. I'll wait a few days until people are happy before updating the firmware. :)

On a separate note, how many people have tried playing 352/384K?

I cannot get a signal lock on this sample rate (complete silence) and I thought it could be the reclocking circuit I installed. However, there are other reports of not being able to play 352/384K with Buffalo III DAC.

Can you share your setup?

Thanks in advance...

Did latest firmware, everything now working perfectly, and sounding pretty damn good .
PCM to 352/384Khz both native and upsampled, DSD files play both channels, no switching problems- perfect!
I'm using Amanero/Buff2/Jriver.
Thanks for updates, support.

I have tested the latest firmware/software with my Buffalo24 set-up and the reset works perfectly. Also no need to map channels for playing DSD. 352khz PCM plays well too. The only issue I have found is that there seems to be an absolute inversion of channels for all modes so what is left comes out of the right earpiece and vice versa. This needs to verified by other people to make sure that it is not just my set-up issue.

Hello, i m sorry for the incovenience but there was a reset problem between the windows driver and the combo384 firmware.

In the 1.55 firmware there was a fix to accept a reset command from the driver but this command was ignored during DSD/PCM switch.

Now i uploaded a firmware 1.56 that fixes the reset command sent by the windows driver during DSD/PCM switch.

Let me know if it's all ok.

Thanks,
Domenico

I've done some 352.8 and 384 testing with a stock B-III (100MHz XO) using Foobar in both KS and WASAPI output modes. For DXD a 2L sample file was used, for 384KHz a 96KHz file upsampled 4x with SOX (0.81 mod1 plugin). In both cases there was heavy stuttering present no matter what buffer size was used. CPU usage was <30%. Lastest Amanero drivers and firmware.

I've managed to play both 352 and 384 through my (100MHz) Buffalo 2 without any issues or stuttering. Very occasional dropout during first couple of minutes after switching the Buffalo on, but no where near as bad as some others have reported. I updated to the latest firmware this morning and I am using driver 1.0.56. CPU on a Atom based PC is around 10% playing 352 via KS - WASAPI uses about 35%. DSD works using the method glt has detailed in his blog, with similar CPU usage.

Must say I'm very happy with the way this is working now - especially considering I haven't put any attention into the I2S cabling, just a temporary fix up of about 100mm length.

Last edited:
DSD128

Still no luck with DSD128 under foobar with ASIO4ALL showing @44100 HZ. With DSD64 it worked correct showing @176400 HZ. It seems driver is missing 24/352K or 24/384K mode. With ASIO and WDM support, do we need to have 352K/384K sample rate supported under sound card setting, I only have up to 192K supported.

Last edited:
Hmmm starting to get dropouts when upsampling 44.1 to 384, seems ok at 176.
Have a bad noise problem with laptop power supply. Plugged in there's a lot of RF/HF noise through the system, even with no music playing. Unplug the PS and noise goes away, doesn't happen with Exa I2S device with same laptop.
With PCM the exa/buff is smoother, more natural sounding than the amanero/ buff, but the amanero/buff is just sensational with DSD.