• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Put a brand new TPA Opus DAC board into a chassis with the Amanero USB to I2S Bus board. Running the output stage and DAC board off of separate supplies to minimize noise. There is a ground tying the two sides together at the output.

I setup Foobar2000 with the SACD plug-in to output 176.4KHz rate with 24bits. Used both the KS and WASAPI (event) output types for driving the DSD input. No sound from either format.

Foobar2000 is setup as a memory player with 2GB of main memory dedicated to the file storage.

I did setup the ASIO output format. Tried that and gave a normal error when I tried using it as the Amanero board does not support an ASIO driver at this time.

I eliminated the DSDIFF decoder plug-in to make sure it was not turning the DSD into real PCM for output.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Made some progress. I switched to HQPlayer and after adjusting the setting was able to get the board to change the DSD detect line to ON. Still no music.

Was never able to get Foobar2000 to change the DSD detect line using the suggested settings.

Have one more setting to try in HQPlayer to see if it correctly outputs the DSD signal along with the DoP marker.

HAL, the DSDDIFF plugin only outputs PCM, is obsolete and conflicts with foo_input_SACD. In order for the SACD one to work properly the former needs to be completely removed from Foobar.

Once the above mentioned plugin is removed, go to the SACD config page and make sure the "ASIO Driver Mode" is set to DSD. Forget the ASIO part of the name, it works for WASAPI/KS too. Configure the foo_DSD_ASIO device for "dCS Marker 0x05/0xFA" but don't use it as the output device, use KS or WASAPI instead just as you did.

In the Foobar status bar (lower left) check the utput sampling rate, if it says 176400 you are not otputting DSD but PCM, only if it reads 2822400 you will sending DSD to the Amanero board, see the red marked area in this pic:

amaneroDSD_zps03a17fae.jpg

If you get the same as in the pic then it is something to do with the switch config of the Opus and you'll have to ask the TPA people or try to guess the correct config from the WM8741 datasheet.

I don't have a DSD capable DAC ATM but the above Foobar setup was tried on another memeber's Amanero+B-III combo and worked perfectly.

Put a brand new TPA Opus DAC board into a chassis with the Amanero USB to I2S Bus board. Running the output stage and DAC board off of separate supplies to minimize noise. There is a ground tying the two sides together at the output.

I setup Foobar2000 with the SACD plug-in to output 176.4KHz rate with 24bits. Used both the KS and WASAPI (event) output types for driving the DSD input. No sound from either format.

Foobar2000 is setup as a memory player with 2GB of main memory dedicated to the file storage.

I did setup the ASIO output format. Tried that and gave a normal error when I tried using it as the Amanero board does not support an ASIO driver at this time.

I eliminated the DSDIFF decoder plug-in to make sure it was not turning the DSD into real PCM for output.

Any other suggestions welcome.

I thought the WM8740/41's in the opus needs to be run in software mode to get them to use 176.4KHz rate. IIRC

HAL, the DSDDIFF plugin only outputs PCM, is obsolete and conflicts with foo_input_SACD. In order for the SACD one to work properly the former needs to be completely removed from Foobar.

Once the above mentioned plugin is removed, go to the SACD config page and make sure the "ASIO Driver Mode" is set to DSD. Forget the ASIO part of the name, it works for WASAPI/KS too. Configure the foo_DSD_ASIO device for "dCS Marker 0x05/0xFA" but don't use it as the output device, use KS or WASAPI instead just as you did.

In the Foobar status bar (lower left) check the utput sampling rate, if it says 176400 you are not otputting DSD but PCM, only if it reads 2822400 you will sending DSD to the Amanero board, see the red marked area in this pic:

amaneroDSD_zps03a17fae.jpg

If you get the same as in the pic then it is something to do with the switch config of the Opus and you'll have to ask the TPA people or try to guess the correct config from the WM8741 datasheet.

I don't have a DSD capable DAC ATM but the above Foobar setup was tried on another memeber's Amanero+B-III combo and worked perfectly.

That is the setup that I tried at one point with the DSDIFF component removed, and just rechecked it. I used the setup in FOOBAR2000 and monitored the DSD ON line from the Amanero board. The display looks the same as yours to indicate DSD64 playback, but the DSD flag is off. The player thinks it is outputting DSD data, but it is not. No music is heard from the system.

I then used HQPlayer with a similar setup (DSD DoP Marker mode) and it is correctly outputting DSD data to the DAC. The DSD ON line is ON and getting music.

The WM8741 in Hardware Mode plays back DSD data correctly. No need for software mode.

HAL, you are absolutely correct. 0V on DSD pin with Foobar in either WASAPI or KS mode. Tried with JRiver (WASAPI Event + DoP bitstream) and I do get 3.3V on the same pin.
I've posted WASAPI/KS compatibility as feature request on the plugin developer's site, hope he fixes it or Domenico releases the ASIO drivers soon, or even better both to have a wider choice

Domenico from Amanero PM'd me about my problems, and sent me this link to upgrade my firmware. I haven't done extensive testing, but the "crackles" in the sound with OSX are gone on the first try. I don't think that this has been posted in this thread, and I can't find a link to it on the Amanero homepage.

Amanero Technologies

You have to use Windows to update the firmware.

-Aaron.

HAL, Maxim (foo_SACD_input creator) has suggested using ASIO4All as a proxy (I used latest beta 2.11). I've just checked it and it does indeed work (Pin7 = 3.3V).

Double proxying is certainly not the most elegant solution but it can do until Domenico releases the true ASIO drivers. Wonder if he'll go for DSD over ASIO or he'll stick to DoP.

For this to work you need to confiure foo_dsd_asio as output device. foo_dsd_asio has to be configured to send the signal to ASIO4All who in turn has to be set up to send its output to the Amanero drivers.

BTW, how did you connect the wires from the Amanero to the Opus?

Was it like this?:
Pin3 (DATA/DSD1) -> R (OSRD/DSDR)
Pin4 (CLK/DSDCLK) -> C (BCKIN)
Pin5 (FSCLK/DSD2) -> L (LRCL/DSDL)
Any GND pin -> G (GND)

Hi
Got my Opus V1 with WM8741 (yes!) working with Amanero's stick :
Pin3 (DATA/DSD1) -> DIN
Pin4 (CLK/DSDCLK) -> BCK
Pin5 (FSCLK/DSD2) -> LRCK
Pin6 MCLK -> SCK
Pin8 GND -> GND
Opus configured in hardware mode, 24bits I2S.
Foobar - WASAPI 3 - Win7 Pro 64bits