• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

I just picked up mine at the post office.. The postman neglected to leave a notice in my mail and its been there for 2 weeks. Debating now whether to rip open my finished Gamma2 or complete the 2nd one I have "in the queue" since the Gamma2 board itself has an I2S input header..

IMG_20120929_182030.jpg

hum/buzz either way it's gone...

I think you should read up on what the circuit is FOR before deciding its necessary. you can get music without it if thats what you are asking. btw that PCB isnt purple, its copper; as in he made it himself, based on the isolation circuit in one of the example schematics in the combo384 datasheet

rant/ it seems all too common around this forum lately for people to be connecting complicated prefabricated arrays of boards/modules into a complex system because they read that its all needed for best sound, without knowing the basics of how a simple system actually works. ie people building dual mono buffalo IIIs,adding a fifo, usb module, switching MUX, teleporter, some sort of IV (4 channels of it) as their first real dac build…

it all seems easy when you buy ready made stuffed boards, but this isnt lego… some background knowledge is recommended

not singling you out here bcmbob, its just a trend i'm noticing

Last edited:
No problem and certainly no offense here.:) I am actually seeking the simplest most stratght forward solutions in every leg from source to speakers. My previous fav has been the Mini2496 with a straight SPDIF/BNC feed. I now have an additional WM8741 DAC that accepts USB.

My hope here is not for a whizbang configuration, more correctly using the module to actually eliminate some circuitry. The entire Buffalo concept is a bit much to me though I'm sure it has deserved the high praise it receives. I asked the question hopeing the answer would indicate a simple USB to I2S translation could still be provided by the module. If my hopes/plans are not in line with the function of the module, I need to know that now - and this is the best place to find the answer. Still not quite sure.......

Last edited:
cool =) thats good, was just a rant, its becoming all too common

as to your query...well it does add jitter, the isolator adds a small amount of jitter given its in series with the output, but it does..isolate the dac you are connecting, from the ground of the amanero and by extension, isolation from your computer power supply and ground. see it seems some people are getting either ground loops, or ripple coming through ground from the amanero board and have experienced hum or other unlocking issues.

with BIII and other async dacs its not such a big deal to have the small amount of added jitter from the isolator, but if you are just adding it to the mini2496, I would definitely try it without first, since that board doesnt have any reclocking stage for i2s afaik .

on the other hand some others have had no worries, seems a bit system independent, I havent had the chance to hook mine up properly yet to see.

one thing is certain though, the module you pointed out is not a commercial module you can buy, it is possible that some sort of isolator PCB will be fabricated and GB though and there are some similar boards available on ebay, but nothing designed with the amanero pinout like the above.

Last edited:
bcmbob, You should check out the AMB Gamma 2 The Gamma 2 board itself has an I2S input and is a very well regarded DAC(using the WM8741). It's what I am planning on using with the Amanero, for the time being. I figured it might be fun to try This ESS 9023 based DAC too, since it seems to be getting some great reviews(and just leave out the 8804 and go directly in with I2S). You'll just have to be fast about it, since I read that they were winding the GB up soon.

Last edited: