• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Bunpei,

- thanks for posting and giving this link but I don't understand what it says :xeye:

Google translate gives me a hint about it but not to an extent that it is becomes "usable" ...

But in another thread - I think it was on the SDtrans384 - I noticed that you mentioned a LPF filter (LCR) you made for this device. I reckon it's basically enough to know the output impedance of the sending end (the I2S output impedance) and the receiving end and then calculate the values of L, C or R needed, right?

Will get back to you later on email ;)

Jesper

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok. Back on topic:)
Found something in my incoming post today........

Attachments

• amanero.jpg
    amanero.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 861
Hi, gentlevoice and NicMac,

I should have clarified that "the board was amanero and he connected his own discrete direct DSD/analog converter to the DSD output terminals on the board".

To gentlevoice
Your guess was correct. His converter is a single resister of 1k ohm as a LPF.
I believe it is far more simple, less expensive, feasible and reproducible than the complicated one appeared in a dRaydream.

To NicMac
His conclusion was that "the aggregation of all" matched his taste the best.

i'm not discouraged, part of the reason I got this thing was to experiment with direct out, maybe not just a single resistor though...... with the USB board being usb powered this would mean USB ground passed right through… thats what you call terrible PSRR :worried:

hey maybe a high bandwidth transformer could be used as filter and isolate the output ground. :idea:

but a few extra parts and perhaps battery psu it could be winning

think i'll skip the blurb too...

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@kevinkr:

Just added myself to the list for two.. Building a new dac or two in the near future.

Bruno Putzeys of Hypex amplifiers has suggested a fast CMOS flip-flop as a DAC for one-bit signals ...

@rayCtech: Thanks for outlining your approach to designing a discrete DAC in one of the previous posts. The theory behind this is beyond my understanding, however, I wonder how it's possible - to a large extent - to genuinely "expand" on the original information available in e.g. a 2.8 MHz one bit signal? I reckon that even if some aspects of the original signal can be changed/altered/improved there's still "only" 2.8 MHz 1 bits available ...?

Greetings,

Jesper

Bruno Putzeys of Hypex amplifiers has suggested a fast CMOS flip-flop as a DAC for one-bit signals ...

A much better approach would be a ECL flip-flop with TTL in and balanced ECL out...

The rail to rail and class B / D type of clipping and "sticking" to ground and the PSU rail and high frequency generation will be exchanged with class A performance and controlled voltage swing.

I wonder how it's possible - to a large extent - to genuinely "expand" on the original information available in e.g. a 2.8 MHz one bit signal? I reckon that even if some aspects of the original signal can be changed/altered/improved there's still "only" 2.8 MHz 1 bits available ...?

I have a website under construction and there will be more informations in the technology section and in the white papers there.

doesnt really sound like the DSD direct filter is ..you you say....'optimal'? :scratch2:

then again it was hard going even with chrome translator, it did seem to be a theme among thos he tried with the LPF compared to using ESS DSD mode

As far as I know, more than ten people in Japan tried their own "easy LPF" methods to play DSD raw signals without DAC because two DSD64,128,256 compatible transports, Chiaki's SDTrans and ElectrArt's USB Dual Audio are popular among them. Some try a single LCR, other try line tranformers & load resistors other than a single R. No one say "It is optimal" as they suffer residual digital noises that is hard to be eliminated completely. However, most of they say "more vivid or fresh with enough resolution than expected".

The author of the blog page says, Amanero Combo384 is a suitable platform of high cost performance and good availability to experiment such a DSD "playing". His usual DAC is not ESS-based one but FN-1242A(by Japanese manufacturer)-based one.

Any of you know of a DAC that converts 44.1 - 384 kHz/24 bits and also 128fs direct DSD (i.e. without multibit conversion etc.)?

Do you mean, even for DA conversion of PCM you want not multi-bit but 1-bit delta-sigma modulator?
If so, I'm afraid no modern commercial DAC chips satisfy your requirement.

If you allow a multi-bit delta-sigma modulation for PCM, TI BB DSD1794A(and its family models) may meet your conditions because only analog filter is applied to DSD input signals under their "Advanced Segments" architecture. DSD1794A supports DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256.