• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Those who still have DSD working, did you update both or just driver/firm?

Since both driver and firmware were updated in the system I tested I have no way of knowing which one broke DSD play or if it is both not playing along.

firm106.jpg

I did not update to that level. Last update I did was prior to those dates (which is before Nov 18).

The latest firmware update seems aimed at reversing the channels... Not sure if I want to try :)

DSD works fine for me with the Buffalo24 with the new driver and the older firmware. I have only just seen the post about the new firmware released yesterday so this is not yet installed.
However, this Left/Right channel inversion issue has been driving me crazy all afternoon as I have been getting the correct L/R channels on PCM using DS Amanero Output, Inverted when I use Wasapi and correct PCM through Foo.dsd.asio with an inverted DSD.
Perhaps I need to install the latest firmware to make this all consistent? I believe there will always be an inversion when playing DSD and have a switching scheme using relays in mind for this; However, the rest needs to be consistent? I have not even tried my Linux based players yet!

Yes but I dont want to use foobar, I'm happy with JRiver and should be able to use it in DSD mode, my exa U2I/JRiver doesn't have all these firmware and update issues. This is not a finished product , it might be cheap but I'm ready to ditch it unless the issues get sorted.

The Amanero has the advantage of sharing PCM and DSD on the same pins, eliminating the need for hardware switching...
The info on EXA says the pins on PCM and DSD are not the same...

There is no standard way to share PCM/DSC pins, thus the channel mapping problem. Only some dacs are capable of accepting PCM and DSD on the same pins, the ESS9018 being one of them.

Hopefully someone in the industry would come forward and set a standard mapping.

But I agree, the Amanero needs a few cycles of polishing. Not a big deal for diy types like us :)

Last edited:
what firmware have you got in fifo? or you mean your point to point reclocking? 384 needs firmware version 3.3 or later and displays as 192 on the LEDs

(I am somewhat ashamed to say :) that) the FIFO is not in the system. How would I be able to switch between PCM and I2S?. That is why I asked Ian if he plans to update the firmware to allow DSD compatibility. The amount of data in DSD 64 is the equivalent of 2x44.1 and DSD 128, the equivalent of 88X2, so there should be sufficient FIFO memory...

still?

well no you cant, but there is more to the problem than memory size for working with DSD. DSD is essentially an analogue waveform represented in a 1bit stream, the FPGA in fifo is not set up for 1bit..is it?

needs a different module, not just different firmware. myself I dont see whats so special about DSD so far in my system

maybe if there was more variety of music available...