• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Thanks for the info too Jackal29a

In any case though my foobar recognizes the signal at the bottom left as "DSD" during the playback. I would have thought that this is enough.
Does yours dickiegeorge?

Let us wait for dickiegeorge to hook up Arduino (I dont have one) and tell us the findings.

In any case though my foobar recognizes the signal at the bottom left as "DSD" during the playback. I would have thought that this is enough.

Indeed I do see "DSD" displayed in Foobar as you suggest. But not sure exactly what this is indicating.

No need to use Arduino. If the board recieves DoP the DSD pin will have a voltage if it receives PCM it will be 0V.

I'll open the Buffalo up later on and check this out. Must do some work this afternoon :(.

At some point I will add an indicator to my controller to display this, but it's not a big priority right now - I only have half a dozen DSD files (all freebies) afterall :D.

Indeed I do see "DSD" displayed in Foobar as you suggest. But not sure exactly what this is indicating.

It indicates the source file is DSD not that is outputting that format.

I'll open the Buffalo up later on and check this out. Must do some work this afternoon :(.

I meant pin 7 (DSDOE) of the Amanero's header, if you board ins't inside the DAC's case you don't need to open it.

I meant pin 7 (DSDOE) of the Amanero's header, if you board ins't inside the DAC's case you don't need to open it.

Same (rather over crowded) case with short temporary connecting wires to the DAC board. I'm waiting for an Otto to switch between the Amanero and SPDIF Mux board (assuming I can make it fit) and then I'll be updating my controller software and adding the indicator for DSD input. Unlikely to happen for a while.

Can somebody check if Left and Right channels are consistent between SPDIF and I2S/PCM with the latest 1.54 Driver? With my Buffalo24, I am finding that there is a L/R swop when changing from PCM to DSD (which is expected) but am also finding what I thought was the Left Channel in I2S/PCM now coming out of the right speaker.

Is anyone actually getting native DSD when using Amanero/Buff2/JRiver?
Seems it is possible with foobar, but in JRiver to get native DSD you have to tick DSD box in Video bitsteaming options. But with the Amanero/JRiver, DSD doesn't play,no native DSD on Jriver.
I've managed to get native DSD with EXA U2I but have to use exa's Iostech player, doesn't work with JRiver. You can tick DTS in options and get converted PCM from DSD, but not native DSD.
I've tried everything I can think of , but no native DSD, anyone achieved it?

Is anyone actually getting native DSD when using Amanero/Buff2/JRiver?
Seems it is possible with foobar, but in JRiver to get native DSD you have to tick DSD box in Video bitsteaming options. But with the Amanero/JRiver, DSD doesn't play,no native DSD on Jriver.
I've managed to get native DSD with EXA U2I but have to use exa's Iostech player, doesn't work with JRiver. You can tick DTS in options and get converted PCM from DSD, but not native DSD.
I've tried everything I can think of , but no native DSD, anyone achieved it?

That was changed in V.18 and it is far more convenient than V.17.

1) Update/upgrade to V18

2) Select either Kernel Streaming or a WASAPI mode (recommended Event Style)

3) Tools->Options->Audio->Settings->Bitstreaming->Custom and there check the "DSD Over PCM (DoP)" box and "DoP 1.0 (0xFA/0x05)" in the drop down list

1) Update/upgrade to V18

3) Tools->Options->Audio->Settings->Bitstreaming->Custom and there check the "DSD Over PCM (DoP)" box and "DoP 1.0 (0xFA/0x05)" in the drop down list

Thanks
I will update, but is DoP native DSD?

Latest Amanero driver (1.0.54 and. 1.0.55) resamples 44.1 to 48K if using foo_dsd_asio as output device (in order to support DSD). If using eg WASAPI, there is no resample but no support for DSD. 1.0.55 does "fix" the channel inversion with DSD.

Seems the best option is still 1.0.5 with the custom channel map for foo_dsd_asio.

Seems foobar uses foo_dsd_asio for DSD output (bypassing volume control) but some "unknown" path for PCM which still goes through volume control

1) Update/upgrade to V18

OK I did the update, used the DoP settings and now I get DSD playing on the left channel and noise on the right channel?
I'm halfway there!

Latest Amanero driver (1.0.54 and. 1.0.55) resamples 44.1 to 48K if using foo_dsd_asio as output device (in order to support DSD). If using eg WASAPI, there is no resample but no support for DSD. 1.0.55 does "fix" the channel inversion with DSD.

Seems the best option is still 1.0.5 with the custom channel map for foo_dsd_asio.

Seems foobar uses foo_dsd_asio for DSD output (bypassing volume control) but some "unknown" path for PCM which still goes through volume control

That is very, very strange. Does the Buffalo report 48KHz on any PCM input sample rate or only 44.1?
We'll have to ask Domenico what changes could have lead to this problem.

Hi,
I would like to adress a question to the old users who already purchased this device in the past and are able to give me an answer based on their experience :
Does this board output bitperfect data? I mean is it upsampled or modified in any ways using different algoritms perhaps?
My other question is what standard is the I2S stream that it outputs? is it compatible with the old philips I2S format or is it the newer Sony I2S format?
I am asking all these because I would need it mostly for a NOS TDA1541A DAC that accepts only 16 bits, 44khz so I would have no need of 24 or 32 bits, but I would need it to be bitperfect on 16 bits only - if it outputs 24 bits that means TDA DAC chip would receive the signal already truncated?Is there anyone using this DAC with this setup so can give me a clear confirmation?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi
I want to integrate this board with Buffalo 2. I2S
can someone help to confirm the pin assignment --

Buffalo 2 VS AMANERO BOARD

D2 ---------I2S DATA
D1------------I2S FSCLK
DCK-----------I2S CLK
GND ----------ANYONE OF THE GROUND PIN ?

Thanks in advance

kp93300

ideally you should scrape some of the soldermask back on the connector and run a separate ground wire for each signal to the ground plane