• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Originally Posted by neskor
anybody tried to connect external 5V to card
instead of USB 5V?
Yep, has been done.

Hi All
Anyone tried feeding a dedicated 5V supply into the Amanero board yet?
I’m using one of these to power mine.
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=7327
It was developed by SandyK (A member here) specifically to power USB devices and boy does it deliver SQ wise.:)
A really noticeable and obvious jump in SQ.
I did read that it was not going to be possible to use such devices but mine is really singing with it.
May work for others also:cool:
The Amanero works well and sounds good in my Atom based W7 foobar/Jriver Jplay or Slacko puppy set up with no issues or drop outs whatsoever.
Good work Alex
Thanks firstly to Korben69 for getting us organised for the GB:cheers:
And a big thanks to Domenico for making this board available at such a good price:cheers:

Or take out the 3V3 reg and feed the board Directly via the 3.3v and 0v terminals as I have now done.
:cool:

mY USB board is in a separate case and connected to Teleporters/BIII so I do have a little extra space to play with.
As Telstar mentions
Some may not have the space for more PSU’S and transformers. In which case the USB power Injector IMHO is an ideal way to try.

;)

Last edited:
Hi Jackal29a & neskor

First, thanks for replying to my need for help :)

I did exactly as described in the update "how to" and first off windows detected that this was an unknown device and that drivers was needed (or a wording with this meaning). However, windows didn't do anything & the config tool kept writing "please erase the device ..."

Also, when I plugged-in the board the computer gave a "do-do" sound as if it had registered the device.

Anyway, I went into control panel - hardware manager - devices - and at some point I was able to ask windows to search for a driver. I chose the folder with the update tools and windows apparently installed the driver software.

After this I was able to download the new firmware and it apparently installed what should be installed (?). Now it appears as a device in "devices" in the control panel.

So, I hope it works, and that the next step is to make the DAC so that I can listen ;-)

Greetings,

Jesper

Make sure the tools files are in the same folder as the drivers files. The ATM config file is in tools folder, but the ATM drivers are in the drivers folder. That's why it won't load the usbser driver you need to load the firmware.

Dave

Domenico, I would like to modify your board by disconnecting the two clocks, and connect an external pair of clocks - 45.1584 and 49.152 MHz.

Is this OK? I presume your board needs to reference the master clock output, so will a higher clock speed be acceptable?

you expect you will get better performance using external clocks on a board that has no facility to use them? it needs to do more than reference to them, the output runs on them and the external clocks will need to respond to enable and shutdown commands. without terminated clock inputs you will make a mess, clock signals are not the same as audio signals.

i'll give you 50 bucks if you can show me a measured improvement by using external clocks on this board ;)

they are actually not bad clocks either really.

if you planned to run an ESS dac with OSF enabled at 32/192+ in sync mode with this unit, I think youre out of luck. if its the speed that matters more than the low jitter, then perhaps you could add some x2 reclock flip flop to reclock the output? I really dont think external clocks, no matter how low jitter they are are going to give a better result.

you will also need to align the i2s signals with the new clock

Last edited:
if its the speed that matters more than the low jitter
Yes, giving an ESS DAC a faster clock was the idea.

When I say "external", I just mean two new clocks on a small board mounted right beside the original clocks (but with the original clocks removed). This is simply "increased real estate" which will also include a dedicated regulator.

But all original connections to the XILINX CPLD would be maintained:
- enable pins from the two new clocks to pins 1 and 41 of the XILINX.
- clock outputs to pins 43 and 44 of the XILINX .....
without terminated clock inputs you will make a mess
... via the original resistors.

you will also need to align the i2s signals with the new clock
That's what I'm asking Domenico.

resistors smesistors.... terminated lines by themselves do not make.

OK lets see what he says, but my offer is still open.

the question was already asked and answered long ago btw

Yes, giving an ESS DAC a faster clock was the idea.

When I say "external", I just mean two new clocks on a small board mounted right beside the original clocks (but with the original clocks removed). This is simply "increased real estate" which will also include a dedicated regulator.

But all original connections to the XILINX CPLD would be maintained:
- enable pins from the two new clocks to pins 1 and 41 of the XILINX.
- clock outputs to pins 43 and 44 of the XILINX .....

... via the original resistors.

That's what I'm asking Domenico.