• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Basically DoP is native DSD wrapped in a PCM packet for enhanced compatibility with soft/hardware. There is no difference in SQ between either method but DoP is far less bandwidth efficient (roughly 50% overhead is added). Most USB transports go up to 384KHz PCM which translates to max DoP of DSD128. Some, like the iFi Micro's, go up to 768KHz which means DSD256 is possible.
The only reason I can think one would choose DoP over native DSD is lack of support for the latter.
I have no experience with MACs so I can't tell if DoP is the only way to play DSD on them. Sorry.

Basically DoP is native DSD wrapped in a PCM packet for enhanced compatibility with soft/hardware. There is no difference in SQ between either method but DoP is far less bandwidth efficient (roughly 50% overhead is added). Most USB transports go up to 384KHz PCM which translates to max DoP of DSD128. Some, like the iFi Micro's, go up to 768KHz which means DSD256 is possible.
The only reason I can think one would choose DoP over native DSD is lack of support for the latter.
I have no experience with MACs so I can't tell if DoP is the only way to play DSD on them. Sorry.

Thanks Jackal, that has clarified it a bit.

Is native DSD propriertory to the Amanero board ?

cheers

Hi guys - just wondering if anyone has come up with a way of determining the DSD sample rate coming out of the Amanero? I'm using a AK4490 chip in software mode driven by a Amanero combo 384. I use pin 7 on the Amanero to switch the AK4490 to DSD mode which works well. My problem is the AK4490 has no auto detection for the DSD sample rate so if I set it to 1x it plays 1x DSD fine but 2x DSD produces only static.
I notice in the Amanero firmware tool, I2C action setup menu there is references to the DSD sample rate there so that may be a possibility. I'm using a Arduino style micro to control everything so it is easy to change the DSD rate just need a control signal telling it the correct sample rate. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi guys - just wondering if anyone has come up with a way of determining the DSD sample rate coming out of the Amanero? I'm using a AK4490 chip in software mode driven by a Amanero combo 384. I use pin 7 on the Amanero to switch the AK4490 to DSD mode which works well. My problem is the AK4490 has no auto detection for the DSD sample rate so if I set it to 1x it plays 1x DSD fine but 2x DSD produces only static.
I notice in the Amanero firmware tool, I2C action setup menu there is references to the DSD sample rate there so that may be a possibility. I'm using a Arduino style micro to control everything so it is easy to change the DSD rate just need a control signal telling it the correct sample rate. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Pin 16 on the header is a DSD64/128 flag (open drain) you can use. 0=DSD64 and 1=DSD128 ;)

cheers

Joined 2000
Paid Member
No Lock

Hi All,

Just put together the latest Soekris dam1021 DAC with Amanero I2S USB adapter. Not getting a lock.
Using this web page as a build reference- https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/

- J2 Voltages are ok. Using adjustable voltage regulator set to 10v dc.

- Supplied 3.3v from Amanero I2S board to DAM1021.

- Audio output taken from raw L&R on dam1021.

- Music server Daphile software recognizes the Amanero combo board and Amanero is able to be selected in the Daphile software.

- Default auto-select of source in use.

- Tried 3 different USB cables, all non-audiophile type, probably USB 1.1.
- Tried StraighWire USB cable of better build quality.

- Tried 16 bit and 192 bit music tracks.

Does the lock happen only when it detects a track or the dam1021 detects a source?

- Added dedicated regulated 3.3v to dam1021 isolated side. Still no lock.
Twisted all pairs. No lock.

Locked for a few minute on Windows (with Windows driver). Lock is eventually lost.
Music tracks played faster, as if sped up. How's that even possible?

I've read that Amanero board isn't the best fit for Soekris 1021. Anyone have this experience? Can anyone recommend another USB to I2S adpater board? DIYinHK??

Is it possible the firmware on Amanero needs updating? This board is the latest from Soekris.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince

Hi All,

Just put together the latest Soekris dam1021 DAC with Amanero I2S USB adapter. Not getting a lock.
Using this web page as a build reference- https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/

- J2 Voltages are ok. Using adjustable voltage regulator set to 10v dc.

- Supplied 3.3v from Amanero I2S board to DAM1021.

- Audio output taken from raw L&R on dam1021.

- Music server Daphile software recognizes the Amanero combo board and Amanero is able to be selected in the Daphile software.

- Default auto-select of source in use.

- Tried 3 different USB cables, all non-audiophile type, probably USB 1.1.
- Tried StraighWire USB cable of better build quality.

- Tried 16 bit and 192 bit music tracks.

Does the lock happen only when it detects a track or the dam1021 detects a source?

- Added dedicated regulated 3.3v to dam1021 isolated side. Still no lock.
Twisted all pairs. No lock.

Locked for a few minute on Windows (with Windows driver). Lock is eventually lost.
Music tracks played faster, as if sped up. How's that even possible?

I've read that Amanero board isn't the best fit for Soekris 1021. Anyone have this experience? Can anyone recommend another USB to I2S adpater board? DIYinHK??

Is it possible the firmware on Amanero needs updating? This board is the latest from Soekris.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince

Hi.

Amanero works fine with DAM board. Please post pics of your setup, especially the connections between Amanero and Dam.

Regards

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for taking a look. It doesn't look much better in person. Difficult to see with all the black headers
blending.

Attachments

• r2r00.jpg
    r2r00.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 481
  • r2r01.jpg
    r2r01.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 474
  • r2r03.jpg
    r2r03.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 463
  • r2r04.jpg
    r2r04.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 463
  • r2r05.jpg
    r2r05.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 435
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Smanz, thanks for checking it out.

I was thinking it could be two things. The toroid transformer is 6.7 to 9 amp capable. Is it possible it's generating a large field? Possibly injecting noise?

Other concern is the wiring is stranded. Maybe solid core thin gauge like used in CAT 5 cable would be better suited for digital signals?

Wires are under 6 inches (150mm) or so. Soren at soekris said that length is fine if twisted.

Thanks

Vince