• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ODAC offerings from Various Vendors

Do you want an ODAC back panel for the O2?

• yes for sure!

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • I want to use the ODAC as stand alone unit.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I'd rather wait for the ODA...

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Woohoo! I just read all about it. I can hardly wait for the second round of measurements to be posted.

It looks pretty good for the money. In other words, a lot more money only buys a little more.

I lifted this from the NwAvGuy blog:
-----------------------
THE REAL NUMBERS: Here are the real numbers and they all meet the requirements for audible transparency:
Measurement
ODAC
Freq. Response 10 hz – 19 Khz 24/44 +/- 0.1 dB A
THD+N 100 hz 0 dBFS 0.0029%
THD+N 20 hz –1 dBFS 0.003% A
THD+N 10 Khz –1 dBFS 0.003% A
IMD CCIF 19/20 Khz –3 dBFS 0.0011% A
IMD SMPTE –1 dBFS 0.0004% A
Noise A-Weighted dBu 24/44 --102.8 dBu A
Dynamic Range –60 dBFS Ref 2V --111.1 dBr A
Linearity Error -90 dBFS 24/44 0.0 dB A
Crosstalk 0 dBFS Line Out 100K --93.5 dB A
USB Jitter 11025 hz J-test 24/44 Excellent
Maximum Output Line Out 100K 2.0 Vrms

I can't wait to see how this sounds compared to my NuForce Icon HD.

Last edited:
ODAC, I agree with qusp, its not normal for a brand new member to be starting threads on a new for sale device in a diy part of the forum, especially when its unclear what your relationship to the project is. So, what is your relationship with the design/sale of the ODAC that you are named after?

I have had a quick read of the nwavguy blog before work today, seems interesting indeed. Great to see another device out there and I actually wonder if RocketScientist, now that he has a relationship with George, will do some testing of the Open Source USB interface widget / SDR Widget.

If it makes you feel any better I created the name to separate the ODAC postings from my normal subscriptions.

I am also on diyaudio as georgeboudreau. I am the co-developer, with NwAvGuy, of the ODAC. I also co-developed the open source SDR-Widget and USBxxxx audio-widgets.

This thread is for others to swap comments on the ODAC and not for self promotion.

George

I will be carrying both the ODAC and possibly a custom fitted case to use in standalone mode. I will be compiling a list and working up a web site soon. Deposits will be required to hold a spot in the queue

There is two ways to use ODAC.. either fitted inside an Objective2 amp or standalone.

-joe

So our secret suspicions about who ODAC was have been confirmed, I guess we can recognize the human judgement error and move on.

So... who's building these things? I've got a nearby company (a division of Computrol) that specializes in smaller production runs and box builds. I was wondering about the ins and outs of contracted production.

The most interesting question I have is how is quality assurance/control managed?

So our secret suspicions about who ODAC was have been confirmed, I guess we can recognize the human judgement error and move on.

Agreed!

So now what I'm trying to rationalise is this:

nwavguyblog said:
It has its own low phase noise 12 Mhz crystal controlled oscillator that’s used to generate the MCLK and SCLK audio clocks. from - ODAC Released

Against this from iancanada in another thread:

each signal generated by a clock will roughly 6dB more phase noise than that clock

Surely then 44.1kHz audio will all have PLL generated clocks? Was any testing done with dedicated XO to suit each 44.1 and 48 and their respective multiples?

Basically: was their testing done to verify ESS's claims about jitter rejection of their DAC chips?

I don't know.. Someone on the O2 thread asked why there wasn't an ODAC thread. I waited and since there were no takers I created it.
Nothing sinister and since there is no moderation I exert no control on the contents.

Once there is more information available on the ODAC I expect the thread to pick up. Right now it is just a place holder.

nothing sinister? no just cold hard capitalism, you are manufacturing and selling the product and you posted a thread in the non commercial area and you used a fake account started in the products name to do so. George, what were you thinking?

i'm happy to leave it lie and as mentioned, see it as an error in judgement, but I have to say its not a good start. complaining of manufacturers misrepresenting the data while misrepresenting yourself

actually no: I dont think this thread should be here, it should be in the vendors area, there isnt anything diy about it. no objections to the project, though i'm not looking forward to a lot of objectivity thugs now armed with an article on digital, going around telling people their diy not commercial fun is a fruitless/pointless pursuit

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.