• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ODAC offerings from Various Vendors

Do you want an ODAC back panel for the O2?

• yes for sure!

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • I want to use the ODAC as stand alone unit.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I'd rather wait for the ODA...

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah, regarding the usb, I would probably drill it out and then work it with a dremel/file. I suprised it was not designed to be used in this manner as it seems to work well.

Honestly i would disagree on the "as it seems to work well" because it's at the edge of the case and faceplate, it doesn't work for me (design wise)

the original location (by the batteries) pretty much centers the usb connector on the face plate, which is the intended use. also since you are bounded by your usb port, it doesn't really matter if it's portable any more (so no need for batteries)

-joe

I would suspect the coil that is touching the case is not going to be a problem, since the top looks plastic (an isolator). As far as I know the outside of the USB connector is also connected to earth and can potentially cause earth loops. But that is easily heard. Else put some isolation tape on top to isolate it.

I was wondering if you only use 3 screws for the back plate, since the ODAC pcb is in the way of the screw thread in the case. And how much pressure is put on the O2 pcb by this. I would be nervous if there is pressure on the bottom near the USB connector, that this would flex the 02 pcb leading to breakage.

Good points, I will be "trimming/filing" the ODAC pcb slightly, the pics you see are of a quick test fit. I like the isolation tape idea and will use it between the case and the two pcb's.

Honestly i would disagree on the "as it seems to work well" because it's at the edge of the case and faceplate, it doesn't work for me (design wise)

the original location (by the batteries) pretty much centers the usb connector on the face plate, which is the intended use. also since you are bounded by your usb port, it doesn't really matter if it's portable any more (so no need for batteries)

-joe

I agree that the usb port being near the edge of the case is not ideal, but being able to use this with my laptop/netbook is the better tradeoff for me.

I do have a couple questions, does the ODAC install disable the line in jack of the O2? What type/gauge of wire is recommended for connecting the ODAC to the O2?

This coil is an inductor, and the black material is not plastic, but a ferritic material (the coil form). *Most* ferrite mixes are not conductive. In any event, isolating it with a thin piece of acetate sheeting or chunk of electrical tape, etc. would be a good practice.

I would suspect the coil that is touching the case is not going to be a problem, since the top looks plastic (an isolator). As far as I know the outside of the USB connector is also connected to earth and can potentially cause earth loops. But that is easily heard. Else put some isolation tape on top to isolate it.

pics: ODAC with O2

I bought the O2 a couple of months ago from Joseph Tam at Audio Poutine. It was just recently joined by little brother ODAC, also built by Joe. A handsome duo, to be sure (the O2 and ODAC, not me and Joe). Really nice work. They both have RCA outs and the O2 has 1/4" headphone jack. And both sound amazing. I bought a 2nd O2 (blue this time, looks really sharp) for a good friend who lives in Europe; I just might have to get him the matching ODAC as well.

Attachments

• photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 232
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 229
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 222
hissing noise

Thanks for the idea thirdman! Dremmeled of some aluminium both inside the box and on the backplate for the usb connector. Fits very nicely. Just have to create a new frontplate during weekend.

Brgds

Hi Turbon,

I've seen your last post in the O2 forum, hissing noise from the ODAC. I could think of two things:
-the USB port touching the enclosure
-the two traces on the input connector not cut fully.
Especially the USB connector can cause issues when touching the case, ensure there is some air between it and the case.

Stefan

Stefan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.