• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The 'Dales' 2-way speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are my ‘DALE’ series of speakers and start with the small standmount EDALES featured here:

P5230294.JPG

These feature the Mark Audio Woofer#6 (CSS EL166) and the Tweeter#3 (CSS ERT26) as a 2-way in a 28L BR cabinet design. The finish on these is Santos Rosewood. The stands are bespoke to the speakers. This is simply a wonderful combination and way outperforms the buget cost of the drivers.

Spurned on by this design and after a late night drinking session with a couple of mates when up in Scotland one suggested a line array type enclosure using 4 the woofers wired series/parallel to improve bass and maintain a nice easy amp friendly nominal 8-ohm load. This would also have the effect of increasing the efficiency from around 87db for the small stand-mounts to around 93/94dB.

So developed the EDINGDALES:

EDINGDALE10.JPG
EDINGDALE11.JPG
EDINGDALE12.JPG

EDINGDALE13.JPG

Originally I had started the build with the MA Tweeter#3 to keep in line with the smaller brethren. However, I think the efficiency proved a little too much for the fine performing 1” silk dome tweeters and eventually these were swapped out for a pair of ribbon tweeters. In this guise they are stunning performers with a midrange that has been likened to that on my Quad63’s. Bass ain’t half bad either. Clean and detailed. They image like no other large floor-stand speaker I have listened to. And all this from what is in effect a 2-way speaker. The featured photos show by prototype build finished in American Cherry veneer.

For those interested there is a large thread on the development of these speakers over on Audio-Talk: audio-talk :: View topic - EDINGDALE speaker build

It is my intention to offer these speakers for sale as bespoke commission builds, initially just for the UK market. However, should there be sufficient interest stateside, I’m sure I can make some arrangement with DaveD/Chrisby of Planet10 fame for you guys. I can be contacted through this forum web pages.

In the pipeline will be an intermediate stand mount speaker, but as yet have to decide the final design of this.

I’ll duplicate this posting in the Mark Audio Commercial section of this forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.