• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: ICEPower 125ASX2 module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tight fit?

Your cases look really nice! Is it possible to fit two of the ICEPower modules inside one case? (from one of the pictures it looks like it may fit).

Could you possibly supply a case with sufficient space for two 125ASX2 modules and some empty space (approx 80*80mm) for a MiniDSP? (It does not have to include the "ICE" cutout on the top)

With two knobs for an inputselector and volume, this would be the perfect, compact amp for an active two-way system.

Regards/Øystein

Your cases look really nice! Is it possible to fit two of the ICEPower modules inside one case? (from one of the pictures it looks like it may fit).

Could you possibly supply a case with sufficient space for two 125ASX2 modules and some empty space (approx 80*80mm) for a MiniDSP? (It does not have to include the "ICE" cutout on the top)

With two knobs for an inputselector and volume, this would be the perfect, compact amp for an active two-way system.

Regards/Øystein

Thansk for your postive feedback about our cases, we hope to make it as perfect as we can

Actually, there is no enough space to fit 2pcs modules if you considering the inner-parts of all connectors, also cables.

I'm very interested in your idea to build active two-way system, but to be honestly it's hard to develop cases without enough orders, because we will pay a lot to make it perfect, we should make it perfect:)

We can discuss it later if there are many other friends want to have this active two-way system, I guess at least 10pcs, how about a groupbuy?

Best Regards,
Ghent

Hi guys,

We are starting another batch of black diy-suite cases, not too many, about 15pcs. We would get them in about 2 weeks.

Please book it if anyone want it, all are black cases. (but we still have some silver cases in stock)

Our cases are with XLR input, you could easily make amp working as mono 450W if you have a pre-amp with XLR output.

Please contact me: windowsxp@vip.163.com, thanks!

Best Regards,
Ghent

Putting a Pot in front of the 125ASX2 to control the volume may not be a good thing.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/192789-icepower-125asx2-measurements-mods.html#post2654121 It needs to be driven from a low impedance source, or the high frequency response suffers.. I would re-consider trying to use this as an "integrated" amp all by itself. (If I bought one I'd be driving it with a DCB1)

Thanks, but I'm a bit challenged when it comes to understanding input impedance. Would it be better just to leave the volume control out & drive the amp straight from the Squeezebox, or Ipod in my kids case?

Sooo much to learn & so few brain cells, what is the DCB1 used for? a type of preamp?

Can you recommend a good one to build?

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'm a bit challenged when it comes to understanding input impedance. Would it be better just to leave the volume control out & drive the amp straight from the Squeezebox, or Ipod in my kids case?

Anywhere in the audio device chain, (in the analog realm anyway) the output impedance of the source device needs to be lower (and much lower is better) than the input impedance of the device following it. The lower impedance of the output device is better able to "control" the input stage of the following device(follow the signal more precisely). That is often the reason that "pure" passive preamps(no electronic components) tend to "soften" the sound of a system, and now even "passive" preamps have some kind of unity (x1) gain buffer following the switching/volume control. The buffer provides a low output impedance, so that the amplifier following does not "see" the impedance of the volume control.

Oh, and yes, driving directly from the Squeezebox or Ipod is a better bet.

Sooo much to learn & so few brain cells, what is the DCB1 used for? a type of preamp?

The DCB1 is the most popular variant of the Pass B1 buffer. Since it has no gain (ie unity or a gain of 1), it isn't technically a preamplifier, since it doesn't amplify the signal, but what it does do is offer a low output impedance to the amplifier it is feeding, and thus is able to make the amp do what it is told to do with more conviction.. ;)

Since most audio sources are now line level, and don't need a preamp(unlike a turntable which does), a DCB1 with some source switching and a volume control in front of it can make a very nice "preamp", for the lack of a better word.

Can you recommend a good one to build?

The DCB1 is probably the best one to build (I have one in process myself), since it is the most popular, you will be able to get lots of support building it. You could build it on a perf board, but the easiest way is to get in on one of the Group Buys for boards.
This is the most recent group buy thread. It's probably the best place to start asking about how to get a board (that's what I did)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/147075-gb-dc-coupled-b1-buffer-shunt-psus.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.