• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One more LED bias question. I have done some reading on this circuit. Some are advocating biasing the 6N1P at around 3.2V or so (two 1.6V red LEDs) , instead of the 4V the specified resistor will give you. This bias point should run the tube at a slightly higher current. If you were to do this does the 47K plate load resistor need to be tweaked?

Also has anyone tried replacing the plate load resistor with a constant current source?

Debra

Biasing at 3.2V is about twice the current of the original circuit. To run this tube correctly, biased at 3.2V, you would be running at 8mA instead of 4mA. The plate resistor would be 22.2K. Conventional RC cathode resistor would be about 400R.

Have not used a CCS in this circuit. May be worth a try.

I would say try the circuit as designed first, 47K plate resistor, 1K cathode resistor, then proceed from there.

Scott

Last edited:
Finished building the amp. What a great sounding amp. Very warm and detailed.
It was a lot of fun to build.

20120225_205210.jpg

Debra

The KT88s are Shuguang Treasures. I have been very impressed with the Treasures and Psvane line of tubes.

Next I want to play around with led cathode bias. I also want to experiment with a CCS, I have some DN2540 mosfets in my parts bin I can use.

The amp is great as it is, it is dead quiet, and there is something to be said about it having no sand. But I like to play around and tweak things.

Debra

Been putting the amp through it's paces. Just played the album I always play first with a new amp. UHQR vinyl release of Supertramp Crime of the Century.

Other components used are a Bottlehead extended foreplay preamp, Bottlehead Eros phono stage. Speakers are Madisound BK-20 backloaded horns,with Fostex FE206 drivers.
The amp is dead quiet, quieter than my DIY 300b amp

On rock music the amp sounds better than my 300b amp. The Bass is deeper, and the music has great presence. Very good sound stage. I can sit on my couch with my eyes closed and easily become immersed in the music.

On solo piano music that I like to listen to alot. It is close to my 300b amp. The 300b is slightly more liquid and more detailed.

In all fairness, I expect this amp to improve as it breaks in. I didn't take the time to preburn in the coupling capacitors. The Mundorfs silver/gold oil I used in the build take a little time to smooth out, and the tubes are new also.

After some burn in time I will play with LED bias on the 6N1P, and maybe a CCS plate load.

All in all this is a fantastic sounding amp! The circuit layout is very well thought out. The instructions are very well done and the amp is a lot of fun to build.

Debra

Been putting the amp through it's paces. Just played the album I always play first with a new amp. UHQR vinyl release of Supertramp Crime of the Century.

I don't have that release, just the CD. Had not heard it in a while, listened to it tonight. It is a great album.

After some burn in time I will play with LED bias on the 6N1P, and maybe a CCS plate load.

Please keep us posted on your experiments with the LED bias, and CCS. That's also on my list of things to do.

All in all this is a fantastic sounding amp! The circuit layout is very well thought out. The instructions are very well done and the amp is a lot of fun to build.

Debra

Thanks so much for your great comments. I appreciate it.

Scott

LED Bias for beginners

Hi KT88 SE community,

I'm running this amp now for about a year.....
....and I just opened it to try some other components.

Can somebody explain to me exactly what to solder where for LED bias....I build this amp with Scotts excellent manual ...but I feel still like bloody beginner when I hear you talking about circuits aso

Thanks

Gregor

I have read on the forum that it is possible to switch between triode, ultralinear and pentode mode. Is it possible to implement pentode mode on this design?

If your transformer has ultralinear taps you can use a 3 way switch to go from triode to UL to pentode mode. I put a switch like this in the guitar amp that ate the previously mentioned KT88's. 38 Watts in pentode, 30 Watts in UL and 18 watts in triode mode with about 400 volts B+.

Its been a year since I first built the kit so I decided to do a rebuild with some tweaks. Heres some pics of the new version. Tweaks: led bias on driver, cap changes to PIO, and a few resistor changes. Still loving every note that sings from this amp.

Attachments

• 2012-02-29 23.54.55.jpg
    2012-02-29 23.54.55.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 694
  • 2012-02-29 22.23.35.jpg
    2012-02-29 22.23.35.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 680
  • 2012-02-29 18.28.08.jpg
    2012-02-29 18.28.08.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 680
I added LED bias for the 6N1P. I used a pair of HLMP 1302 red leds (Digikey part number 1080-1042-ND) for each cathode. This led has a 2v drop so a pair of them will give about the same bias point the original resistor did.
I bought 10 of the leds and measured the voltage drop across each one and picked the four that were the closest matched. This was probably not necessary, they were all within 0.03v

The led bias made a very noticeable improvement in detail. The music sounded clearer and more accurate. It still very much had the tube warmth, but now with more clarity.
I think it is well worth the upgrade. It is easy to do, and does not cost much (leds $0.46 a piece or $0.33 each if you buy 10).

I think this made enough of a difference that if I were to build this amp again, I would use led bias to start with.

Deb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.