• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Cigar Box Audio HOLIDAY CONTEST 2010: Battery Powered TA2020 Amp, FREE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a DIY novice, posted here for advice last Feb, Ted offered to build me some stuff.

I sent money in Feb for a cigar box DAC ... there were various enhancements we agreed on including output transformers and some component upgrades, so I sent extra cash.

In April i sent more cash for him to do a Shigaclone, and had a donor machine delivered to him. He also offered to do a step-up transformer for me too so I had some Altecs delivered as well.

Anyway after much hassling him (and months of no communication and a very bizzare tale over several months where he said he's shipped, no tracking info, but somehow it showed up back at his house weeks later) I finally got some kit through in November, the DAC and the SUTs.

The SUTs were wrongly wired ...each side wired wrongly, but differently wrongly, quite an achievement! I still haven't been able to make them work. The DAC works but is very badly made ... he may know the theory but his execution of soldering and enclosure-making is very shoddy.

The Shigaclone wasn't part of the shipment as he'd broken the donor board somehow. I sent another donor and am still waiting on my Shigaclone (though he did sent the PSU for it). He says now his paypal account is locked (am I surprised), so he has no money to ship (though he claims it's fixed) - this latest delay has been going on since November.

I would have posted this long ago but I'm out about $800 dollars all up including parts and donor machines and I didn't want to completely spoil the chance of getting the Shiga in the end.

I must say I was shocked, as a Brit, my experience of Americans over many years has always been that they are just about the most trustworthy people in the world, but this clown lets you all down very badly!

regards

Tom

Last edited:
I'm a DIY novice, posted here for advice last Feb, Ted offered to build me some stuff.

I sent money in Feb for a cigar box DAC ... there were various enhancements we agreed on including output transformers and some component upgrades, so I sent extra cash.

In April i sent more cash for him to do a Shigaclone, and had a donor machine delivered to him. He also offered to do a step-up transformer for me too so I had some Altecs delivered as well.

Anyway after much hassling him (and months of no communication and a very bizzare tale over several months where he said he's shipped, no tracking info, but somehow it showed up back at his house weeks later) I finally got some kit through in November, the DAC and the SUTs.

The SUTs were wrongly wired ...each side wired wrongly, but differently wrongly, quite an achievement! I still haven't been able to make them work. The DAC works but is very badly made ... he may know the theory but his execution of soldering and enclosure-making is very shoddy.

The Shigaclone wasn't part of the shipment as he'd broken the donor board somehow. I sent another donor and am still waiting on my Shigaclone (though he did sent the PSU for it). He says now his paypal account is locked (am I surprised), so he has no money to ship (though he claims it's fixed) - this latest delay has been going on since November.

I would have posted this long ago but I'm out about $800 dollars all up including parts and donor machines and I didn't want to completely spoil the chance of getting the Shiga in the end.

I must say I was shocked, as a Brit, my experience of Americans over many years has always been that they are just about the most trustworthy people in the world, but this clown lets you all down very badly!

regards

Tom

I am having the same problem with Ted. I traded speakers for an amp. The amp had issues from the start .... which he repaired the first time I sent the amp back.

Move forward a few months and the amp stopped working. A cap had broke off the board. He argeed to repair the amp and I sent him the amp and he received the amp 9/13/09.

He finally did the repair so I sent him funds for shipping on 10/28/09. I have yet to see the the amp despite receiving atleast two messages the amp would be on its way.

Here is the last one received 12/25/09 ....

yes, it will certainly be coming back to you a bit after christmas.

Obviously we are now at 2/8/11 with no amp and he has not responded to several messages from me since 12/25/09. I dont like calling someone out but how many other people will get ripped off if I dont say something. Ted seems very personable and I dont know his issues. But he needs to comminicate if there is a problem and he needs to take responsibility .... how hard is it to mail an amp that is repaired.

SO BUYERS BEWARE!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.