• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control

WarpCore 9

:warped:

Attachments

• V8-xW1 0131.jpg
    V8-xW1 0131.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 231
  • V8-xW1 0141.jpg
    V8-xW1 0141.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 228
  • V8-xW1 0161.jpg
    V8-xW1 0161.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Core 9 0021.jpg
    Core 9 0021.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 235
I'm saddened to learn that the fine craftsman from Oregon who took on making the Warpspeed front/rear panels has passed away. For privacy reasons I won't state his name here as he is not a member. I'm proud that his work resides with my work and is being enjoyed both visually and aurally around the world.

Rest in peace KMK...

Just a bad experience with Blues.

The Warpspeed did not work in my system. I could not use the Warpspeed if both the SE and Balanced cables were connected to the Warpspeed. He acknowledged the problem and then tried to blame it on me. Then he offered a (his preferred) solution that I disconnect the cables each time of the connection not being used i.e. disconnect the SE cable if Balanced connection was being used and vice versa. I told him that was not acceptable as it was a PITA with the WBT and Cardas connectors I was using. We agreed to a better solution which was to upgrade it to the next level at no charge with me picking up the shipping one way and he the return shipping. This solution provided that I would not have to disconnect the cables.

Once I mailed the unit and provided him the tracking number he changed his mind and I got an email from him stating that he rather send me a refund. Once he received the unit, he then refunded me the money minus the shipping cost. This did not take into consideration what costs I incurred due to receiving a product that did not function as stated for my needs. That included my shipping costs to him and taxes paid to CCA. Then he puts another condition for the shipping refund that I had to return the 9v battery clips which I did not ship as I thought I was getting the unit back. The cost for that could not be more than what it would cost me to ship it back.

So I opened a PP dispute and since it was just the shipping costs PP decided to close the case and as one time courtesy credited my account for the shipping charges.

As a customer I would never ever deal with him. There are a few other vendors that do offer better solutions.

I will wait for this one

Tortuga Audio Plans LDR3X Preamplifier Controller for DIY Community | Tortuga Audio

I've about have had enough of surdy's prima donna demands, immature antics, and sour attitude I was happier refunding him than dealing with him.

The W'speed functioned as designed. I advised him how to connect and it performed exceptionally well he even commented positively. He wanted something that another model offered.

Anyone curious enough I can provide excerpts of our email exchanges to refute his above claims. Like I told him at the start of the transaction, I like emails because every thing is in black and white. I respect diyA enough not to post it here although I'm tempted to...

My advice to surdy is to not assume vendors' need your money more than anything. Paying does not give you the right to say things. Show more respect and you will be equally respected.

See how Blues carefully avoids saying that the Warpspeed could not be operated without disconnecting either the SE output or the balanced. He has not refuted any of the statement I made in my first post. Instead he stoops to character and personal assassination with name calling.

And I quote him below

"Your situation is unique in some ways that this issue has not come up inspite of several V8s already in the field. This is the first time also that it is being used in a headphones system. A potential cause of the issue I see is Accuphase's use of pin 2 for (-)Cold and pin 3 for (+)Hot...I still have to figure out what happens if these were reversed.
I have actually thought of this cropping up somehow so I have the V8+4 blueprint ready. To this date no one has ordered it so I don't have an example yet. See the 6moons review here 6moons audio reviews: Warpspeed V8xW1 middle of the page under Warpspeed configurations. I must admit it is my fault that I did not ask you enough questions re your intended connections, the potential issue that might come up, and informing you of the consequence -I apologize for that. I have 2 proposals though to correct the issue:"

So based on all of my dealings with Blues, my take is that I think if you want to buy a Warpspeed you owe to yourself to further look into his dealings. I can send the 25+ emails before the build and another 25+ emails after the build.

And Blues actually got upset that I did not praise his work and did not give him a glowing review on the Warpspeed after listening to it for a whole 15 minutes.

I got the WS on Wednesday evening when I hooked it up. Tried listening to it and there was nothing but distortion. Did troubleshooting on Thursday and the cause of the problem was found about 4pm. I did some further testing and it was decided that the WS would not work in my system with the SE and Balanced cables connected. So I shipped the unit back on Friday because he could wait for it to shipped after the weekend for the upgrade that he later backed out of.

You can actually see his attitude in the reply and on other postings in this thread when people have raised some technical issues they do not agree with (Blues).

Everything I have stated are just the facts in my first post and since he characterized me as what I am not I felt compelled to respond to his unusual behaviour which actual runs from delusional grandeur to total paranoia. Me thinks he seriously needs some meds.

I am not going to be further responding to Blues post/reply anymore as I want this to just end.

You were the first to post in a public forum. I ask you, who is the character assassin between us? You keep mentioning meds (how immature and irresponsible!), my doctor does not require me any.

I made you aware about your Accuphase's reversed hot and cold wiring which you were blissfully ignorant about, listening all this time. With regards to both SE and XLR cables connected, amp manufacturers routinely instruct you to disconnect the Balanced cables and insert a shorting wire between cold and ground when connected in SE. Not only for the purpose of grounding/circuit stability/gain but this also prevents interaction between Balanced and SE equipment connected simultaneously. The V8+4 design circumvents this by having separate circuits. You wouldn’t have any of these and would only like your stiff cables in place. And you broke a nail removing the cables! And your 15ft cable is making the Warpspeed's footing unstable! I considered giving you the upgrade for free but your constant harping and complaining made me decide you don’t deserve it.

And FYI, it was a V8 design decision so as not to have to install a switch on the signal path. Again the V8+4 is the solution but with a price tag to match.

Some here at diyA are probably disgusted at all these and some probably enjoy the drama and conflict -in contrast to my boring posts.

ps to you surdy: you are stumbling around with your posts, so stop before you look even worse. :warped:

Last edited:
Slowhand spinning...

I've been listening to this lately... The Cream of Clapton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This cd got buried under the pile because it did not sound good when played at high SPLs in my old system. Got reborn with the Warpspeed both on loudspeakers and headphones. The layering of musical instruments/voices is just lovely even on the older songs. I didn't imagine the songs were these well recorded/produced. The live "Crossroads" track with Cream is just electric!

Even blamed cd redbook before...not anymore. :warped:

Last edited:
Warpspeed and Terrawood

Chris at Terrawood HOME - Terrawood Design Co. has agreed to supply front/rear panels. We are currently fine tuning the design and Chris the tooling. I'm really excited as you can see Chris' work at his website. The wood and finish will be stunning. Also, more options on wood species soon.

His stash of lumber come from sustainable wood, puts to use otherwise scrapped, fallen trees and stumps, and reclaims or rescues useable wood destined for chipping, firewood, or landfills.

When you are in the area south of Chicago or in Michigan City, IN, give him a ring and his gallery might be open for viewing his and local artists' work on display. He did a great job playing a part in the revival of the downtown... http://www.walnutinkgallery.com/index2.php#/home/

More soon...

Warranty update

It is my pleasure to announce that all new Warpspeeds going forward will carry a limited warranty for five (5) years from date of purchase. All internal electronic parts and labor are covered. This warranty is transferable, with the new owner informing me about the transaction with the original owner by contacting me by email or thru this thread. This way I can provide an updated warranty certificate with the new owner's name.

In light of the above, warranty for all the fully-built Warpspeeds now in the field gets extended for a total of three (3) years from date of purchase -also transferable. The purchase date is on the warranty certificate emailed to all owners. Again all warranty claims are limited to internal electronic parts and labor only.

Misuse, boxes with missing or tampered seals, circuitry modifications and add-ons will void the warranty.

Insured shipping to and from me will be the owner's responsibility for all warranty work.

Happy Easter everyone! :warped:

I have an interesting problem that maybe the Warpspeed can solve? I've used a couple LN LDR units, 1 full pre and one volume control only and unfortunately the LN units hum with my new amp. Some sort of grounding problem. The amp manufacturer says they always have trouble with passives. Is there a solution to this with the Warpspeed?