• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control

Blind Boys of Alabama:
Spirit of the Century - The Blind Boys of Alabama : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic

Track 6 is sang to the music of the Animals', "The House of the Rising Sun"...isn't that amazing?! Backing them up, among others, are John Hammond and Charlie Musselwhite.

Fred McDowell:
First Recordings: The Alan Lomax Portait Series - Mississippi Fred McDowell : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic

It's been remastered but imagine these tracks being recorded live in the field in 1959 when Alan Lomax traipsed thru the South/delta to capture local folk/blues singers, that otherwise would not have been recorded/compiled for us to enjoy.

Review on pages 3-5

6moons audio reviews: Warpspeed V8xW1

Here's a paragraph to whet your appetite...6 meters = 19.68 feet...no buffer recipe!!!

"For the money asked and the comprehensive à-la-carte options available, the Allan Flores Warpspeed V8xW1 is a very fine specimen of the advanced passive preamp art. The no-stop no-step volume control affords very smooth very fine adjustments. The only thing that will take getting used to is that the knob on its hidden shaft turns with nary any resistance. At first it'll seem broken until we grok that light won't oppose our applied force. I was surprised that a 6-meter interconnect posed no real hurdles. Switching to an equivalent 1-meter lead made a far smaller difference than expected. Because this device is passive and additionally powered by batteries, there's zero noise. You clearly needn't be a trekkie or DIY advocate to appreciate the Warpspeed and embark on an affordable journey of exploration about what a really good passive preamp might do for your system. Particularly owners of valve amps should consider this. They might already have all the tone and body necessary to now focus on maximizing the complementary qualities of transparency, speed and energetic immediacy."

Thanks for taking the Warpspeed for a spin, Srajan.

:warped:

Last edited:
"You clearly needn't be a trekkie or DIY advocate to appreciate the Warpspeed and embark on an affordable journey of exploration about what a really good passive preamp might do for your system. Particularly owners of valve amps should consider this. They might already have all the tone and body necessary to now focus on maximizing the complementary qualities of transparency, speed and energetic immediacy."

I agree 100%...
The signal just flows from source to amp...
I am using it on daily basis for more then a year and never looked back to
an other passive pre-amp or volume control.
You just need to hear that passionate free flow of energy once and you will never look back. Right now I am using a DAC whit 2K output impedance and it sounds very good whit warpspeed. So I see no problem.

Indeed...Once you get the almost perfect main course there is no need for dessert. One time I had a dream about perfect world of music. Maybe I can get there. It will never be perfect - we live in not perfect world but I am on the ride whit warpspeed to reach new altered states of music-chedelics...)

Owner feedback...

"First impressions on sound no different than being impressive visually. I had what I considered awesome sound with the volume control you are aware of. Your WS is in another league. All frequencies are superior. First thing I had to do was turn down by plate amps for the Augies. What has struck me most in the short time I have listened is the added 3 dimensionality and pinpoint imaging, as well as added "they are here" presence of the music. I went right to very familiar pieces I always use when evaluating new equipment, and here I go again hearing these once again for the first time with the added material coming out...did I mention dynamics!

Will get some extended listening in this weekend and give you more feedback. Awesome piece of musical gear!"

Thank you, George!

It's time to get personal!

It’s been 2 years…how time flies. I thought it’d be a great time to introduce something new and off the beaten track in personal hi-fi. For the past several months I have revisited the Warpspeed design...

To read on, please see attached.:warped:

Attachments

• WarpspeediER - The Lightning Bug.pdf
    420.4 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Ray!

Here's more of turbogti's feedback on his V8.1-xW1 from an email last night...

"And, when I replaced the pre-amp with your Warpspeed, the resolution is mind blowing. So clean, energetic, pure, full of air-nessa, and smooth as hell; it was simply unbelievable. I'm sure your preamp is a lot more advance than my Lightspeed + R core linear power supply. To be honest, I didn't know the differences can be this big. I'd say the Warpspeed is a very good match with nCore. The XLR connections does make a big difference. It is also inherently battery powered, thus i don think any type of AC/DC powered amps can achieve this type of performance without spending load of cash on buying filters/ isolators, transformers, regenerators."

turbogti's Warpspeed

Yes, balanced IN/OUT...:warped:

More from Ray:
"And wow, I was blown away by your Warpspeed! So much more resolution in the music and sounds so "organic" and powerful!

This is really a good product!"

Attachments

• V8.1-xW1 004.jpg
    V8.1-xW1 004.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 213
  • V8.1-xW1 008.jpg
    V8.1-xW1 008.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 216
i received mine today , and no needs to wait many hours of burning to feel that 's is simply the best passive level control i have tried.. (and i have tried a lot of these )

so no "à la 6moon" mystical blahblah here:

1: the product is nice finished ( even if i 'm not a fan of the big aluminium knob:D)
2: the control of the level is very fine
3: the sound is flawless ( if your source is..)

so in a word well done allan and thanks for the sweet deal.:)

i received mine today...

Thanks again, Rohan! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come...

Can these be remote controlled?

It can be done...sticking point is still the $600 added to the unit price to do it. Many have inquired but no one has taken the leap and so I have not been keen in getting one built. So far everyone has been happily operating theirs manually.

I think I posted this option's pricing breakdown somewhere in the W'speed thread at ACircle.

Attachments

• Warpspeed RC.jpg
    Warpspeed RC.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 204