• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control

In Quantum Space

I have 2 conceptual and preliminary designs for a multichannel unit. The following features are what I have in mind:

-both designs are switchable from 2-ch to +2, or +4, for a 6-ch total in Unbalanced(RCAs) only mode; and Balanced(mini-XLRs) only will also be from 2-ch to +2, or +4, for a 6-ch total

-the 1st design is the HT unit and will have Front L-R, Center, Surround L-R, and Sub; the Front L-R will have a balance control; the Center and Surround channels will have 8dB level controls; and a main volume control for a >110dB of attenuation; Center, Surround, and Sub channels can be switched off to listen in stereo

-the 2nd design is the 6-ch unit that will have 6 identical line level inputs/outs with individual 8dB level controls and a main volume control that attenuates up to >110dB; depending on preference, channels can be switch added as described above

-the 8dB level controls are continuous fine adjustments from the transWarp design, used to tune each channel in relation to each other

-all channels are full-bandwidth without any filtering

-both designs are battery powered

-both have optional remote control for the Main VC

I believe these features fit most stereo and HT applications for most audiophiles. I have no pricing and timelines yet.

Please let me know if you have something else, application-wise in mind...Thanks!:warped:

The Kraken Rises!

I'm sorry Peter, I'm not headed that way yet...:)

Peter, what I mean above is not to design into an existing product but a standalone design that it can partner with.

Having said that...

The 2 circuits I described above have been bench tested and both work like the good old 'Squid charm. Although using the 'Squid circuit topology, it wasn't as straightforward as I had thought but all the component values have now been finalized. The same topology guarantees performance as good as the 2-ch version. The optocouplers will still be in a classic bridge circuit but now controlled by the crimson Kraken!

Now on to the layout...

Now is their a need for a multi-channel analog volume control as described...? Maybe it's time to hear some suggestions from the DEQX, DCX, Active Crossover(including Passive) crowd here...what do you think of a box with 6-ch each attenuator controlled (8dB fine tuning) and a main volume control to simultaneously attenuate all 6 channels? Or am I too late to the party and all are already happy with their digital attenuators?

I'm putting together some drawings on possible applications for an easier exchange of ideas...

Quoting from the email of a V4x2-xW2 owner:

"Have plugged it into my rig and am listening to some vinyl. WOW - what a watershed moment for me... The transparency is magnificent and the bass is so clean. It has opened up the "space" in the recordings - I don't know how else to put it. I'm really amazed with how it sounds. It looks great too - NICE WORK.

Will probably listen all weekend to all my favorites."

Really a big deal for me coming from a professional -highly experienced in the music arts...his Resume:

-Professor of Music and Assistant Director at the School of Music of a Univesity in Colorado. Currently principal bassoonist of the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra, the Greeley Philharmonic Orchestra, and the assistant principal bassoonist of the Colorado Music Festival. Also performed as principal bassoonist with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra.

-Participated in the Utah Music Festival in Park City, Utah, the Cabrillo Music Festival, the Strings in the Mountains Festival and the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival. Studied bassoon with Crawford Best, K. David VanHoesen and John Hunt. Received the Bachelor of Science degree from Hofstra University, and the Master of Music, Doctor of Musical Arts degrees and the Performer’s Certificate from the Eastman School of Music.

It's greener on the other side...

In my quest for a multi-dimensional Warpspeed, it was leading me towards a switch to a rectified AC power supply to feed a circuit that is now 3x the original circuit.

It turns out a re-thinking is in order and that the original circuit can be further tweaked for a still lower power demand without comprimising sound quality or volume level range. This tweak enables the 6-ch V24 to work on batteries like the stereo circuits. The Balanced V24 circuitry, doubling in its current needs, will also be in batteries!

On 4x 9V alkaline battery supply, the Unbalanced V24 will last for at least 2 years and a Bal V24 version will do so for at least a year. A V4 with the added circuitry is estimated to last the typical 5-year shelf-life printed on the alkalines. And these estimates are for a 5-hour daily use! Maximum current demand will still be at the very extremes of the main volume knob(full CCW/full CW), but I'm pretty sure these knob positions won't be where you would be.

I have fully tested this greener feature and will now be trickled down to all new builds. Also, the xW1 proving itself a worthwhile addition will now come standard on all new V4 and V8 builds. The xW2 remains as an option.

:warped:

...Also, the xW1 proving itself a worthwhile addition will now come standard on all new V4 and V8 builds. :warped:

I made this announcement too soon...I still have a couple of the regular 'Squids without the xW feature, available for V4 units at the old pricing.

And anyone not requiring the xW balance control can always make the request...no problem.

Email or pm if interested...

The estimates above are overly optimistic, as I failed to consider a branch on the basic circuit, so I take those back. With the lower current circuitry, below is a more realistic estimate for an average 3-hr/day use on a 7Ah SLA battery:

Unbal (original circuit)
2-ch 361 days (336)
6-ch 173 days

Bal
2-ch 354 days (327)
6-ch 168 days

...Maximum current demand will still be at the very extremes of the main volume knob(full CCW/full CW), but I'm pretty sure these knob positions won't be where you would be.:warped:

This still holds true and if left powered up continuously at min or max knob positions battery life will be cut in half or more for the V24.

Last edited:
HT App

V24.ht on Fig. 3 or 4 of post #190...

Attachments

• Warpspeed CE V24.ht.jpg
    Warpspeed CE V24.ht.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 380
Variable Cylinder Management

To explain the the rear panel switch labeled +4ch > 2ch...this enables you to switch off 4 channels when you're cruising in stereo. Another green way of doing things and save on battery power if not in HT mode. :warped:

Also, the LVL controls on top adjust levels relative to each channel and these levels will be maintained when the main volume knob is rotated.

Last edited:
The V24.6ch build is complete and it's on the test bench...tested a couple of parameters...the inclusion of the low current draw circuit sacrificed about 2.5dB of attenuation range of channel level (LVL 1-6) control. It now has a range of about 5.5 to 6dB down from the original 8dB. This is still great and will be more than enough to level balance each channel with respect to one another. Aside from that it is mirroring the 'Squid's technical performance and precision.

The LVL pots are calibrated with the Kraken while set at midpoint (5 scale on the dial) so we have an adjustment range of -3dB thru 3dB wherever the main VC setting will be.

:warped: